Draft 2023 Inaugural BF AFL Fantasy Draft League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all seriousness, I like your team though. I'd back LDU and Serong to get up over 105 and 100 easily and the defence is pretty nice. Forwardline is relying on Curnow and McKay to go big though which means I'll have to actively hope your team is terrible unfortunately. Soz
Embarrassingly, I did entirely base picking Curnow off Robbo because I heard him say something about full pre-season.

Figure if he plays well, McKay probably will as well and as hilarious as it would be if Carlton missed finals again, I think its far more likely they don't.

Ended up with the following:

1678253921991.png

Had pick 2, so my strategy was to pick whoever was left out of Dunkley and Docherty and then pick whatever scraps were left by the time the snake draft got all the way back to me with pick 31. I think it turned out fairly well without being awesome. Barring Docherty I've ended up with a team of decent scorers without any out and out superstars.

Defenders - happy
Docherty looks streets ahead of the next best defender so I was happy to lock him away. No complaints with McGrath and Duggan at D2 & D3 who should both be able to go 80+ as a bare minimum. Hunter Clark is an unknown but cost me next to nothing all the way down at pick 223.

Midfielders - satisfied
Went early on Short at pick 34 so that I can slot him into defence when he (surely??) gets DPP at round 6. Has shown he can score with the best of them in that HB role. Got Berry, Rowbottom and Shiel quite late and I’m confident they can all go between 85 and 100 which is fine. Callaghan was a nice steal at pick 191; I think a few people forgot about him.

Ruck - happy
No problem with Darcy Cameron here. Wanted him for the DPP flexibility and he has shown he can score even with Cox in the side.

Forwards - satisfied
I think quite a few forgot about Cunnington so he was a nice F1 to pick up all the way down at pick 66. I left my other forwards until really late since all the good ones were gone anyway, so it was a lovely treat picking up Bruhn at 159 and Powell at 162. Think they’ll score a lot better than some of the more exposed key forwards that were being taken before them.

Bench - happy
Goater was great defensive cover down at pick 226. Again, I think plenty forgot about him because there were some genuine spuds being picked before him. Took a punt on Bytel as mid cover since it seems he’ll be doing the tagging role at the Saints while Windhager is out; should be good for a 60+ as cover. Not thrilled with Rayner as forward cover but had a little gamble there in case he can turn that HB role into some decent scores. Happy with Tom Campbell as ruck cover though; scores like a jet in the VFL, seems to be past his injury issues and the Saints are bereft of big men so I think he’ll do ok if needed.

Ok - I was lucky enough to have Pick 1 (Dunkley) - but then had a very, very long wait until my next pick...

I was then placed in a difficult spot, needing to land a good ruckman, defender and midfielder at Picks 36 and 37 - before waiting an eternity for my 4th pick. I went for Walsh (obviously hoping for a speedy return and continued improvement) and Witts - as a reliable solo ruckman. A defender had to wait until Bailey Dale was available at Pick 64 and then I grabbed Will Brodie at 65.

1678275716682.png

I took a punt on Fyfe returning to some form and then I repeatedly faffed around trying to find potential improvers, or players with good reliability and hopefully reasonable point scoring potential, but somehow I ended up with the s**t show above.

I accidentally drafted Sam Menegola - so he'll go and I strongly considered drafting McComb with my last pick - so I could immediately delist him....

I'll probably be a bit light on for points until Walsh comes back - but I'm sure I can utensil things up until he returns !!

Randomly tags WaynesWorld19 .....

1678276219903.png

1678276371660.png

Not unhappy with this - it's very different to how I would normally draft - but I am keen to see how it goes.

I am all in on Tim English this year. With my first pick I often take a mid, and I almost always wait until late to draft a ruck, but I have taken English with my first in a few drafts this year.

Why? Because I see a scenario where he's a good 15-20 points better than the next best ruck across the duration of the season. At pick 12 that's not a possibility with any other position IMO.

Drafting in a 4-5-1-4 format bumps the value of non mids up a bit so my strategy going in was to take 2 x non mids with my first 2 selections.
At 12, it was going to be one of Dunkley, Dochery or English. With the former 2 gone English was a no-brainer, even more so with Marshall and Gawn off the board inside the top 10.

At 21 I had options, again noting I was always going a non mid. Dawson, Taranto, Rozee and Heeney were the 4 I was targeting. Dawson and Taranto went, so I had a choice - which forward do I go with? I did not think either would make it another 30 odd picks (noting I was taking a mid next) but decided it was more likely Heeney would than Rozee, so I took the latter.

Very thankful that Heeney did in fact slip to my 4th pick, where he was an automatic selection. There was nobody else in serious contention.

And very happy to take Parish at my 3rd pick. A 100ppg mid at pick 44, yes please, my plan had worked.

I hadn't planned the rest of my draft in the same manner as a lot can change. I still placed a high value on good backs and forwards - and think I have a nice mix at both ends - but also wanted to ensure I had enough firepower in the midfield. With my strategy there is a risk that others go mid-heavy and mids therefore fall off a cliff. So outside of Parish my mids may seem relatively weak, but I think Crisp can go 100 whilst Kelly will surely bump from last year. Perryman is a more speculative pick, but given their departures and his reported training with the midfield group, there's significant upside there. Langdon is one of my favorites, just owns the wing and is capable of some monster scores.

Bench was a relative crap shoot. I've been on Parfitt for about 5 years now and there is a year coming where he bumps up considerably, might this year be it?
I went with a couple of North players here given the relative uncertainty of life under Clarkson. Young I like and he finished last year off really well, there's no guarantee he's best 22 but if he plays he should score OK.
Shiels I see as someone who might just surprise, reuniting with Clarko there may very well be a role there for him all year on a wing.
Strachan...gut feel is ROB is not particularly safe as Adelaide's #1 and Strachan is breathing down his neck. That may very well be wrong, in which case I'll plunge into the depths of free agency to replace him with another ruck.

Thank you, Kozzie Pickett and Daniel Rioli.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done Joao. Comprehensive victory this week and top of the ladder for you, I reckon.

A lot of decent scores this week for the Excelerators but only Jack Steele flying the flag with his 118. Tom Hawkins can get in the bin. Can't even outscore your age

Looking at some losses over the next month without Steele unless I can find some gems in the free agent pool.

Well done Joao. Comprehensive victory this week and top of the ladder for you, I reckon.

A lot of decent scores this week for the Excelerators but only Jack Steele flying the flag with his 118. Tom Hawkins can get in the bin. Can't even outscore your age

Looking at some losses over the next month without Steele unless I can find some gems in the free agent pool.
Hawkins looks like he can barely move. Reckon he is nowhere near 100%.

AAh crap, just realised I forgot to do my draft strategy thingo...sorry. I'd do it now but its just noise once we've started the season.

Anyway, a patchy start to the season for the Flippers but a nice win on the weekend. Me not keying in on the early lockout cost me the win the week before so we're in OK shape...unless I cop another injury. I took some injury punts on Ellis, Salem and Tucker thinking they were close, which they are, but injuries to my run on team have bitten my depth. Hopefully one or 2 of those injured crackers make it on the field soon and Baby Hewy comes back this week.

Thanks to Ed Curnow for filling in for Hewy and to Jez Cameron for one out of the box to get me the W this week.

Whilst we're bragging about late picks I'm going to throw up Setterfield and Stocker for the Flippers as guys doing well with late picks attached to them.

Grundy as the sole ruck for a few weeks will help our cause too.

Fun stuff so far Folks, cheers.

Being the league administrator - the gift that keeps on giving

After setting up the league (which I largely cocked up) I don’t think I’ve got a thing right since !!

Wobbly finally got rid of Tom Mitchell but not before he put in one last great performance 63 against me 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back