Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Our ball movement into the F50 is the worst in the league.

That's not a function of leg speed or lack of talent.

That's game plan. Or lack thereof.
So you think the inability to burst from congestion to get separation to execute the kicking skill under less pressure or just being a better exponent of the kicking skill is not as important ?

I agree our lack of a gameplan is an issue but I am not sure many of our players will execute any gameplan effectively enough with the skill deficiencies they have.

So you think the inability to burst from congestion to get separation to execute the kicking skill under less pressure or just being a better exponent of the kicking skill is not as important ?

I agree our lack of a gameplan is an issue but I am not sure many of our players will execute any gameplan effectively enough with the skill deficiencies they have.
And yet they managed to in 2022 way more often than not, including the last two games (Dees and Pies) that we should have won?

And yet they managed to in 2022 way more often than not, including the last two games (Dees and Pies) that we should have won?
Fair to say large parts of 2022 were promising but let’s not forget large parts were also very underwhelming at times.... we caught a few off guard early in the season !!

Probably fair to say that teams have worked us out since mid 2022 and the game plans and execution of most teams have progressed unlike ours.

Nah we don’t, we don’t have any silky skilled quick midfielders at all, we don’t have any decent small or mid sized forwards either.

These areas are killing our F50 connection, opposition defenders zone off players like Durdin, Fisher, Silvagni, Motlop, Owies etc knowing our mids can’t lower their eyes to hit a target because they lack the polish.

These defenders have time to crowd & impact Harry & Charlie’s contests and still get back to their direct opponents when required, even if their direct opponents win or receive the ball they don’t have the skill set to hit the scoreboard often enough... they are ineffectual!!

Harry & Charlie will dominate once we find 3-4 extra legitimate options up forward and our midfield ball use, decision making & speed of ball movement improves..... these areas won’t be improved enough with the players we have, the list needs to be turned over and a new strategy implemented for drafting/recruiting.
Agree nowhere near the right type of talent that would have us in finals contention - enough to beat a fellow bottom 4-6 team on a given day possibly

LOB imo shouldn’t be in the team…

But the abuse he gets from the stands, from our own supporters is sickening…

Happy for supporters to leave whenever they wish… Haven’t noticed player abuse when fans are leaving…

More so by the ones that stay and congregate around the race, that’s where players are likely to hear it…
Any spectator let alone a carlton member who publicly berates/verbally abuses individual players at the game are emotionally infantile.
Groaning or swearing at a poor passage of play is.not what I consider to be berating BTW.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Set up, positioning, reading the play (anticipation), team work far more important than one's leg speed.

Using the ball smartly helps too!

This slow midfield boohar is codswallop. frankly.

Our rucks have been poor this year, our midfield set up way too defensive and King Crippa has reverted to his 'I must do it all myself' mantra. Which inevitably fails.

Meanwhile Kennedy is not getting enough time in there....

And Hewett has been poor since injuring his hand (rd 2?).

And yep, I would have given Dow a crack weeks ago given how badly all the other mids were playing...

Thank goodness for that, people talk about him as some sort of demi-god, let's have a look and see what he does for St. Kilda in the long run, I'm thinking, not much. Never wanted him or Clarko.
Do you realise how you sound?

Never wanted the 4 time premiership coach, who taught all the other recent premiership coaches, or RTB who made gf's with both teams, and if not for bad kicking and terrible luck could have 3 flags??

You preferred the bloke who got sacked 3 years in at Brisbane and sold the farm for FEV?

Please remind me to discount anything you say going forward

Never wanted the 4 time premiership coach, who taught all the other recent premiership coaches, or RTB who made gf's with both teams, and if not for bad kicking and terrible luck could have 3 flags??

You preferred the bloke who got sacked 3 years in at Brisbane and sold the farm for FEV?

Personally, I don't think either was the right man for Carlton.

Freo's young players weren't showing as much development as what Freo brass wanted in Ross's last two years there. I've seen plenty of Freo fans say that before they let him go and moved on that it felt like they were stuck in mud.

I'm yet to be convinced that Clarko has anything left in the tank. Hawthorn scandal aside he got the new coach rub out of them early and since he's stepped aside it's pretty clear Ratten has gotten more out of them than Clarko had been in his last few games.

That doesn't mean that I believe Voss is the right man either. And as much as I'll admit that I've lost a lot of my faith in him to deliver - I want something different even if that too loses - until the club decides otherwise he's our man for better or worse.

Ultimately, sometimes you need to come to an undesirable situation. That there is no right man for the list that we have. And that's about where I'm at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go right ahead, we'll see how successful those appointments are for those clubs long term. I never said I wanted Voss either. My preference at the time Teague was appointed and at the time Voss was appointed was B.Scott, someone who I believe overachieved at North with the players and resources at his disposal.

Go right ahead, we'll see how successful those appointments are for those clubs long term. I never said I wanted Voss either. My preference at the time Teague was appointed and at the time Voss was appointed was B.Scott, someone who I believe overachieved at North with the players and resources at his disposal.
So you prefer the underdog that won nothing and made no grand finals?

Each to their own........

So you prefer the underdog that won nothing and made no grand finals?

Each to their own........
We've been down the track of employing past premiership coaches who
no longer had much left in the tank before, I'd prefer not to do that. Making Grand Finals, losing them, and then leaving clubs in a mess at the end of tenure, doesn't do much for me either.

Clarko was well past his premiership winning days and also left his club in a bad way by the time he left.

Each to their own indeed.

Ross will be an interesting case study at the Saints.

For years now people have been talking the Saints up for how much talent and potential that they have. That they've recycled coaches who haven't delivered on the potential.

Anything less than consistent finals and a top 4 run will be unsatisfactory given how much they've handed Ross essentially allowing him to pick his own staff and turning as much of it over as he has liked.

Dare I say, they think they're small market Carlton?

Strangely my reluctance in wanting Ross Lyon at the time was because all his sides played stale defensive football which i felt the modern game had gone past... But look where we have found ourselves. If this was always the game plan on where we would end up, then Ross would have 100% been a better selection than Voss..

I agree Flags. It's not leg speed that is the major issue. It's turnovers and execution that kill us. You don't need to be that fast, but you do need to have confidence that if I do run forward, I am going to receive the footy and not have the ball turned over, which in turn means I'm now behind my player, making me look 'slow'. At the moment, the skill execution makes us look horribly slow - as per the old adage that you look slow and tired when you're chasing guernseys.

Back