Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Every game Carlton is involved in excruciating to watch - we even somehow drag good teams into the mire with our ineptness.
We are so far off the mark it will be years and years before we ever challenge for top 4
So disheartening after all the talk .. and that's it just talk - we cant walk the walk, lets face it - our team and tactics are terrible
We no good !!

Has anyone considered the possibility that West Coast have discreetly informed clubs that pick 1 (Harley Reid) is on the table for the right place, and we are stealth tanking in order to manoeuvre ourselves into putting ourselves in position to trade for Reid ?

Okay I am at the A League Grand Final in Sydney and I have had some 'refreshments' since about 11 am this morning, so not exactly in a rational mindset right now :D

I’m not sure it’s just the alcohol imparting your judgement based on this

Good post but again the calling out of fans for leaving early is dogwater. You don't know them or what's going on in their lives.
Are we really defending player abuse now? Leaving early is not something I do but if you must, is it too much to ask that you don’t abuse players on your way out?

Of course people have their own reasons for when they arrive and depart games, and of course they don’t have to justify those reasons to anyone. By the same token, others are allowed to poke fun at them. Are we honestly taking ourselves so seriously that this is even an issue? Has there ever been a time in footy, or indeed any sport in the world, when this wasn’t a subject of banter? Does this not happen at every single game of live sport ever?

It’s your choice to leave whenever you like, just don’t abuse players while you’re doing it.

Are we really defending player abuse now? Leaving early is not something I do but if you must, is it too much to ask that you don’t abuse players on your way out?

Of course people have their own reasons for when they arrive and depart games, and of course they don’t have to justify those reasons to anyone. By the same token, others are allowed to poke fun at them. Are we honestly taking ourselves so seriously that this is even an issue? Has there ever been a time in footy, or indeed any sport in the world, when this wasn’t a subject of banter? Does this not happen at every single game of live sport ever?

It’s your choice to leave whenever you like, just don’t abuse players while you’re doing it.
R.P. your post is all over the place!
Leaving isn't player abuse, it's a seperate argument.
No one has condoned player abuse. I agree with you it's revolting when you hear it at a game.
You go from a serious swipe to then saying it's light hearted banter?
Which is it?
One could get sea-sick traversing your sentences, neverlone an entire post!

I live hours away from Melbourne, normally drive down to every home game and a lot of away games.

If the team want to dish up 1 goal halves, or are down by 30+ at half time, best believe I'm leaving early.

I've given enough time to this club week to week, that I'm done toughing seasons out. Decades at this point.

I did my time turning up to games watching young players show glimpses of what the future could be, the future is now, and it stinks.

Ultimately, if the team don't want to turn up, the supporters shouldn't be expected to either.

I can't think of a game I've missed this century, but for the first time in my adult life I don't even care if I watch Carlton play week to week.
Emotional response but sums up a good many supporters.
The club takes us for fools.
We’ve toughed it out for DECADES but when a coach with EVERY possible advantage after years of rebuilding says we’re not good enough, people drop off.
We are loyal but were not completely stupid.
This is horrible.
The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, Vossy, yes him.
He us the head coach, he owns this - or does he?

Right now, we aren't a 6-10 team, we are a 15-18 team. In year 8 of the rebuild, with the salary cap maxxed out and a list in its prime.
You wouldn't want this list to be in it's prime as it has absolutely no fwd line.. we will kick goals if they say ok boys play with flair and run fwd - then we will leak score with huge run on of goals like before .. the cap is only maxed through poor management nothing more ..

We expected to be competitive.

In none of those 5 straight matches have we managed to:
  • kick 12 goals (and we haven't managed NINE in a month)
  • get closer than 17 points of the opposition

We are playing the most impotent football i can remember. We had four players kick a goal last night. We had three players kick goals against Collingwood.

Right now, we aren't a 6-10 team, we are a 15-18 team. In year 8 of the rebuild, with the salary cap maxxed out and a list in its prime.

It isn't just unwatchqbke on field, but it also looks pretty hopeless for the future. Where does improvement come from, this year or beyond? Again - we haven't kicked more than 8 goals in a month. How on earth do we expect to 'win the next couple and hit the bye with momentum'? It would be a colossal turnaround in form to do that...
I think you need to open your eyes and realise that the rebuild has failed my friend.

Rather than read 24 more pages of misery, just thought I'd add how solid Kemp looked. Cincotta played a really good game as well. Of course Binns another 34 possessions in the twos.

#greenshoots
Agree. What should we do over the next 10 rounds, need to get something out of this season.

Keep playing Kemp, Cincotta, get Cowan and Binns time in seniors. Also, play an attacking brand of football - we need to train and play more that way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can they give Mirkov a run next week? Think he has been with us for 3 years, and is 210cm, we get little around the ground from our rucks, at least be should win most of the hit outs. We should be trialling everything for the next 3 months. Big cleanout needs to happen, so giving some of the kids a go is worth it in my opinion. Think Ty should get a game in the backline too, takes some great intercept marks in the VFL. Many games he has looked better than Kemp, some players play better given a chance at the higher level

Can they give Mirkov a run next week? Think he has been with us for 3 years, and is 210cm, we get little around the ground from our rucks, at least be should win most of the hit outs. We should be trialling everything for the next 3 months. Big cleanout needs to happen, so giving some of the kids a go is worth it in my opinion. Think Ty should get a game in the backline too, takes some great intercept marks in the VFL. Many games he has looked better than Kemp, some players play better given a chance at the higher level
Who is the 'Ty'? If it's Tyreece Leiu, he is VFL only...

Mirkov is injured at the moment.

“Ty” Lieu is not on the main list.

I am not sure if this is a coaching or player issue but one thing that I noticed yesterday (and in the last few games) is how slow Carlton players are to get back off their mark. We take a mark, stand planted to the spot for 3-4 seconds waiting for someone to come past for a handball. If someone does we are so close to the man on the mark that the player is under pressure, and if no one does we then have to take a further 3-4 seconds to get back off our mark before disposing of the ball. This slow decision-making results in slow ball movement as the defence has time to get back. We should be looking for those handballs as we are moving back off the mark which means if there is none we can still dispose of the ball quickly.

Might just be me overanalysing something insignificant but it drove me nuts yesterday

Last edited:
R.P. your post is all over the place!
Leaving isn't player abuse, it's a seperate argument.
No one has condoned player abuse. I agree with you it's revolting when you hear it at a game.
You go from a serious swipe to then saying it's light hearted banter?
Which is it?
One could get sea-sick traversing your sentences, neverlone an entire post!
Pretty sure he means that having a go at people leaving early is light hearted banter, and he's right, it always has been. But those people at the ground leaving early and abusing the players on the way out, that's really out of line. He's not saying leaving in itself is abuse.

I am not sure if this is a coaching or player thing but one thing that I noticed yesterday (and in the last few games) is how slow Carlton players are to get back off their mark. We take a mark, stand planted to the spot for 3-4 seconds waiting for someone to come past for a handball. If someone does we are so close to the man on the mark that the player is under pressure, and if no one does we then have to take a further 3-4 seconds to get back off our mark before disposing of the ball. This slow decision-making results in slow ball movement as the defence has time to get back. We should be looking for those handballs as we are moving back off the mark which means if there is none we can still dispose of the ball quickly.

Might just be me overanalysing something insignificant but it drove me nuts yesterday

It’s been happening for a while. The worst culprits are Cripps, Docherty and Young. It’s like they are still trying to milk those 50s from last year. It goes against everything the current game is about as evidenced by the fact I don’t see a lot of other teams doing it. I annoys the s**t out of me. Just so dumb.

I am not sure if this is a coaching or player thing but one thing that I noticed yesterday (and in the last few games) is how slow Carlton players are to get back off their mark. We take a mark, stand planted to the spot for 3-4 seconds waiting for someone to come past for a handball. If someone does we are so close to the man on the mark that the player is under pressure, and if no one does we then have to take a further 3-4 seconds to get back off our mark before disposing of the ball. This slow decision-making results in slow ball movement as the defence has time to get back. We should be looking for those handballs as we are moving back off the mark which means if there is none we can still dispose of the ball quickly.

No it’s not just you c99. Some players are worse than others, very slow in deciding what to do…could also be team mates not running hard to provide a passing option.

Think it changed in the second half and there was more effort to play on and move the ball quicker.

POST OF THE WEEK, YEAR…

I’m involved in a kids soccer team (under 8’s), they can’t wait to play, they can’t wait to learn, they can’t wait try as hard as they can, the result is not important at this age but respecting your team, the opposition, your coach and listen are all none negotiable’s.

The biggest difference is these kids are getting better and do it for enjoyment/love of playing, as for the CFC players it’s the opposite.

I’ll call out the leaders first and foremost. Patrick, no more ‘long weekends’ away, just because it’s your day off. It starts with you, if you don’t agree, that’s fine but please move aside as we need a leader who will set standards and lead from the front.

Give me Toby Greene any day…

Toby Greene had a long w/end in MEL just gone.

Back