Autopsy 2023 Rd 12 No end to misery in sight

Who played well for the Blues in Round 12 vs the Dees?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure what you expect him to say? We are good enough at the moment? And that wouldn't be gaslighting?

'We' is the collective as a whole. No need to overthink it.

Hang on to your Hat.

The senior coach has just came out and said. "we Aint good enough".

Well coach, Head Coach, tell us were we aint good enough, please?

You've played players out of postion,
Dropped players for poor performances,
Too scared to drop High profile players whom aint performing.
feed us bullshit about nourishment.
Not rewarded players in the 2nds for there good performances.

you dont have a TACTICAL game day approach to your coaching, on game day.

so as a former payed up member.
please EXPLAIN,
were we aint good enough?

Injured, did not play. Young Hudson O'Keefe battled manfully I thought, needs a couple of summers in the gym though.
Cheers, Sweet 17.
i should be a bit more in the know with our Ressies,
Was hoping Markov was building nicely for a debut, was wondering why he wasnt selected, for the 1's.
thanks again.

Last edited:
it now seems realistic that we will finish 15th, Collingwood will win the flag and we will then hand them pick 22 as a cherry on top
Bye GIF

RTB was our man, we let him slip through our fingers
Thank goodness for that, people talk about him as some sort of demi-god, let's have a look and see what he does for St. Kilda in the long run, I'm thinking, not much. Never wanted him or Clarko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I considered that but though it would be great to have the same margin the Weagles beat them by in 2018 and that we beat them by in 79

We need sick notes like that off the list and not clogging up cap and list space.

That Cunningham is still on our list says everything about how we are going no where.

Not his fault but he should have been delisted already. Given us next to nothing but been on the list for 7 years.

How a player like Fogarty is also on the list boggles the mind.

We all know he's no good and yet the club apparently thinks we should be still using a spot on the list for him.
Oooh
Tricky
He is actually good
Look at Gov....had to go final surgery to sort his long term hamo
His last chance anyway same for mbank
Dow too
Will be a solid list dump Eni way.....do not fret ✔

Has anyone considered the possibility that West Coast have discreetly informed clubs that pick 1 (Harley Reid) is on the table for the right place, and we are stealth tanking in order to manoeuvre ourselves into putting ourselves in position to trade for Reid ?

Okay I am at the A League Grand Final in Sydney and I have had some 'refreshments' since about 11 am this morning, so not exactly in a rational mindset right now :D

I think.....voss has NOT mastered this group.....it looks like a Ford Camaro chugging as a 70's beetle
It hasn't broken down.....i think its a long term ploy....and they all are buying into Boss Voss
It looks really out of tune.....could this be the reality.where things are really at
Slowly the group should pull together....after all.it is Carlton....something has to connect properly and stay that way as it has in previous eras...
At the moment there is not that.......even though the list is improving

My view has always been that getting flogged is bad, but supporters shirking it - leaving early
I live hours away from Melbourne, normally drive down to every home game and a lot of away games.

If the team want to dish up 1 goal halves, or are down by 30+ at half time, best believe I'm leaving early.

I've given enough time to this club week to week, that I'm done toughing seasons out. Decades at this point.

I did my time turning up to games watching young players show glimpses of what the future could be, the future is now, and it stinks.

Ultimately, if the team don't want to turn up, the supporters shouldn't be expected to either.

I can't think of a game I've missed this century, but for the first time in my adult life I don't even care if I watch Carlton play week to week.

Last edited:
I think.....voss has NOT mastered this group.....it looks like a Ford Camaro chugging as a 70's beetle
It hasn't broken down.....i think its a long term ploy....and they all are buying into Boss Voss
It looks really out of tune.....could this be the reality.where things are really at
Slowly the group should pull together....after all.it is Carlton....something has to connect properly and stay that way as it has in previous eras...
At the moment there is not that.......even though the list is improving.
Ah, that would be a Chevy Camaro or a Ford Mustang, just sayin'.

The state of the Carlton fanbase is more concerning to me than the onfield product at the moment - incredible given the state of the latter. Every game we fail to win, the tension manages to reach new heights. It’s understandable because we’ve been suffering for so long and it feels like another false dawn dissolving in our grasp - but it’s really not helping, nor does it have any nuanced understanding of where we are. If we are to truly break this vicious cycle we are trapped in, we need to assess our current state and determine what course of actions will most effectively advance us towards our end goal.

My view has always been that getting flogged is bad, but supporters shirking it - leaving early and abusing players - is the absolute worst. A combination of 20+ years of heartbreaking failures and a media machine hellbent on seeing us burn has whipped us into a frenzy. It’s not good, and it exposes deep scars within the wider Carlton family. Sitting at games and hearing Blues fans vocally turning on players has made me feel ashamed - it’s not everyone and I have no issue with a bit of frustration at a repeated mistake or weak effort, but I struggle to think of a supporter base I’ve encountered who have turned on their own more quickly than these last few weeks.

All of this is from someone who is equally dismayed and frustrated by what we are seeing. However, all this talk of the world burning is greatly exaggerated and I truly believe things are not as bad as they seem.

Why?

1 - the highest levels of the club seem to, for the first time, have some sort of conviction in extricating us from the ‘old Carlton’ mentality. The board standing resolute against the egomaniacal powerbrokers warms the heart. It’s that cultural cancer that has gnawed away at us ever since we stopped being able to throw money at problems and buy our way out. These agitators falsely parade under the guise of passion and love for the club, but to them, it is always about THEM. Brashness. Impatience. Finger pointing. Machinations in the shadows. Good riddance.

Weak clubs bow to pressure as a release valve when the heat is turned up. We have some course corrections still to do, but we must avoid the knee jerk, scorched earth folly of the past. Things take time. Let them play out and don’t make the mistake of snuffing out the flame before it’s had a chance to catch alight. Naturally, you must also have the sense to abandon course if you have enough evidence to be sure it’s not the right one

2 - our on-field performance, looking beyond the 4pts, has more merit than some give credit… the inability to score is infuriating, but we have built a resilient and effective defensive style of play. It’s not enough to win games right now, but it is difficult to do correctly and it must be taught and built over time and constantly reinforced.

We have been competitive at nearly all times of every game, bar a couple of really ugly quarters. Surely others also bear the scars of our teams from 10-15 years ago not being able to defend their way out of a wet paper bag. This side has better constitution than that and I believe defensive grit and discipline is more difficult to instil in a playing group

3 - the failure of our current game plan to play modern attacking footy - corridor, run, punish turnovers and move the ball quickly - is partially a planning issue but very significantly, a personnel issue. The SOS era of list building, aside from nailing the 2015 crop (albeit with 4 first rounders), has left us completely ill-equipped to play in this exciting run-and-gun fashion. Take a look at our draft history - so many years wasted.

I have major issues with how we are coaching right now, but you cannot simply will slick ball movement into existence - you must have the cattle. We have a noted lack of legspeed and foot skills, arguably the two most important traits in this era of AFL. So what is Voss meant to do to mirror Collingwood’s brilliance when his cupboard is completely lacking players with either, let alone both, of those things? I am not saying he’s even the right man to lead us forward, but we have to accept it’s not as simple as clicking your fingers. The contrast between H1 and H2 last night was quite stark for me even still, and we simply have to mirror the more attacking mentality from last night’s second half more regularly from the outset to seize the initiative

We are hurting in a big way with all those wasted drafts and while I am a sucker for optimism, I have been pleased by Austin’s early returns - finding the right sort of players to balance our list and they are clearly coming on quickly enough to be playing early. It’s just not an overnight fix unfortunately

These words will provide little comfort and I am certainly not telling anyone they can’t be pissed off. We have all been through it. Footy has brought us nothing but pain for as long as we can remember, and so many true Blue fans have stuck through thick and thin. But continue to play our role as supporters too - support the team, the organisation - and spurn the saboteurs (whether they claim to be Carlton people or from the outside looking in) who want nothing more than to sow chaos.

To reiterate, I am also not even saying Vossy, or any specific figures, are going to be there when we win our next flag. We have to continually scrutinise and re-assess all aspects of the club. The game plan and list building needs to get a wriggle on. But have faith in the broader system and continue, despite the frustration, to invest in these painful steps towards becoming a proper club again. Our emotions are being intentionally stoked to see red and ignore any of the subtler context at play.

Now, whether you agree or you’d rather sack everyone tomorrow, we are all hurting immensely this year. Take the weekend to forget about this horrid run of results and not let it bring you down any more than it has to. Good luck.
There are some confusing parts to your post Red Pill, but I love your passion.
You blame SOS for recruiting duds and that's why we can't have nice things like a modern game plan.
But then you say it's a mental switch thing with the players and give the example of contrasting half 1 and 2 against Dees. (So they are duds but can play when they want to?)
That also doesn't explain how same players could play exciting footy 1st half of last year?
The game plan changed, and it has damaged everything! (Imho)
You sort of agree coaching isn't ideal, but your main angst is us supporters?
Mmm.
As Bluegum says we need to give space for all our tribe's opinions. I just thought there was a fair bitt of hedging your bets in that post, and mainly I was confused.
Much like our players trying to execute a plain dumb, stupid game plan that doesn't highlight strengths, and brings bewilderment to supporters.

Back