Autopsy 2023 Rd 21 Last quarter blitz sees Blues in 5th spot

Who played well for Carlton in Round 21 vs the Saints?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicking is improving. Shout out to skills coach(es). Binns also has improved his kicking.
Spot on,
I’ve noticed that too, both boys have improved as the year has progressed, Ollie’s kicking has a bit more punch and accuracy now, would be great if he can get some better length into his kicking as he develops further, Binns very similar progression himself at reserves level…

Every now and then I'll gave a look at opposition boards. Not interested in the village idiots (every team has some). However the overwhelming theme on the saints board pre game was that they had our measure and how delusional carlton supporters were for believing that their team had turned things around.

After the game the tone was a bit of resignation that perhaps they weren't as good as they thought they were.

They should be thanking us for re-aligning their expectations for them. Sadly it probably means that Ross and his mates get a guaranteed 5 years to tinker with the list under the premise that "we inherited a poor list". And he will leave in 2027 under a cloud with the list in a slightly worse state than it is now.

Kicking is improving. Shout out to skills coach(es). Binns also has improved his kicking.
Yep. My main concerns with Hollands earlier in the season was lack of penetration and no change of pace. Both have improved immeasurably.

He might have just been knackered earlier in the season, but geez he's looks a player in the making.

I'd like to think one more will seal it, but it's very tight. Nobody can afford to drop a game and with all the topsy-turvy results in recent weeks, anything can happen.
The last round has 7 games that could potentially be deciding the finals hopes of 9 teams, depending on results in the next 2 weeks.
Unless a few other results go our way, we could potentially need 2 more.
Until each of Brisbane, Melbourne and Port have won another game then keep winning if we can. Imagine we win the final 3 and at least one of those 3 lose the next 3... Qualifying final against the Pies at the G is a real possibility.

Every now and then I'll gave a look at opposition boards. Not interested in the village idiots (every team has some). However the overwhelming theme on the saints board pre game was that they had our measure and how delusional carlton supporters were for believing that their team had turned things around.

After the game the tone was a bit of resignation that perhaps they weren't as good as they thought they were.

They should be thanking us for re-aligning their expectations for them. Sadly it probably means that Ross and his mates get a guaranteed 5 years to tinker with the list under the premise that "we inherited a poor list". And he will leave in 2027 under a cloud with the list in a slightly worse state than it is now.
We know that SOS is going to pick that list apart. Saints will be mid tier in the draft again and we know SOS is going to trade players, picks, futures, 2 for 1s etc to try to rebuild that list. I'd almost be tempted to give them a pick for Membery so we never have to play against him again.

This game was the perfect example of old outdated negative tactics being beaten by the modern game.

St Kilda flooded, they pushed extra numbers back and tried to negate Curnow with a flood and it worked for that one aspect of the game.

Modern footy thought, that does not work as a whole. You will get ground down. Brad Scott nailed it with his rule changes and now teams have adopted keeping numbers more even both sides of the ball, less numbers at the stoppage, fast direct play the old ways have died.

The game became very slow up and down the ground. Push numbers back, it's ok because you didn't have to run as hard as you do now to implement an attack and get numbers forward. Flood in modern footy and you will be fatigued by half time.

Used to happen to us, we play negative, hold teams or get ontop of teams and by half time they would run over us with fast and direct play.

Saint's flooded our forward line and around half time it was noticeable they weren't getting numbers forward to mount an attack, they were cooked because they were asking their players to run further back to defend and we were persisting with moving the ball fast and direct. In the end we had Weitering and Newman just outnumbering St Kilda forwards and taking a load of intercept marks purely because they were flooding, trying to run with our fast ball movement but also trying to move it quick and direct. Just does not work.

Then they tagged the hell out of Saad and it worked but Fisher got off the chain in a big way and played like Saad at his best.

Voss as coach and us as fans also need to be open to changing minds about players. Dow was very good and so was Fisher. The value that run brings, players who can get the ball, burst forward and get it to the forwards quickly and accurately can not be undervalued in todays game. A couple of players who have been on the outer who put their hands up and suggested that they could be best 22 as well.

IMO the quicker we are the better we are. Fast ball movement to McKay, Curnow and Co from players running forward with the ball in hand is very exciting to watch and a nightmare for opposition defenders.

Just watching the last Q replay.

Great sense of occasion, coaching and people management by Voss to keep Dow in the game when he had planned to sub him with Ed. He adjusted on the fly by recognizing in the moment the benefit/motivation to Dow personally and the team in keeping Dow in the game. That’s simply good leadership.
Given Dow was everywhere at the start of the quarter playing well, not sure why he was about to be subbed off.
Good on Voss for changing it up but it was a weird call to start with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We know that SOS is going to pick that list apart. Saints will be mid tier in the draft again and we know SOS is going to trade players, picks, futures, 2 for 1s etc to try to rebuild that list. I'd almost be tempted to give them a pick for Membery so we never have to play against him again.

One observation (and I'm sorry we lost him) but Stocker looks a bit soft and flabby I reckon. Did alright when he came on though.

Spot on,
I’ve noticed that too, both boys have improved as the year has progressed, Ollie’s kicking has a bit more punch and accuracy now, would be great if he can get some better length into his kicking as he develops further, Binns very similar progression himself at reserves level…
The thing to also take into account is, every AFL listed player can kick the football well.
It’s finding the confidence in yourself at the level, getting the speed of the game and knowing the system that makes the biggest difference.

Now that these guys are getting up to speed, and the entire team has more confidence in where there out options are, their kicking starts to look a lot better.

The thing to also take into account is, every AFL listed player can kick the football well.
It’s finding the confidence in yourself at the level, getting the speed of the game and knowing the system that makes the biggest difference.

Now that these guys are getting up to speed, and the entire team has more confidence in where there out options are, their kicking starts to look a lot better.
Yeah both good points, usually translates into feeling you have that bit more time and poise, which also can help your decision making and overall disposal…

Last edited:

A lot of it is moving the ball quickly before the zone is set and the margin for error on kicks is reduced so you don't need to make the perfect kick to retain possession

Now that is an idea to consider. Won't be popular though.

Brad Scott nailed it with his rule changes and now teams have adopted keeping numbers more even both sides of the ball, less numbers at the stoppage, fast direct play the old ways have died.
I see this quotes a lot to Brad Scott .. I thought Steve hocking bought in all the changes in 2021 before going to cats for CEO job before Scott was hired in that role ? Unless you mean umpire abuse he bought that in

A+

F26ABS0aYAAwsz6

Back