Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 33!, 1 BIG FISH ALERT last October 4th) (7 confirmed! 11 Busted!)

Will Clayton Oliver join the Adelaide Crows?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this. While it’s all been a bit silly, it’s also been a lot of fun, and I have a … euphoria … I haven’t felt re: the club for a long time.

Even if it doesn’t come off (and bugger me if it doesn’t keep growing legs instead of going away), tonight has been wild, and I’m glad I got to be a part of it notwithstanding the disappointment if it all falls away.

I reckon this will go down as a BF thread for the ages.

With that said, make it happen Crom.
Is easily as good as the initial Jeremy Cameron bid with people saying they'd run down King William nude with nothing but a Crows scarf if we landed him

Again, posted on another board, that Oliver got in touch with Burgess and he put in him touch with a local physio
Which in itself is very interesting ....how often would another Club's Sports Science Manager, advise another Club's player to go outside his Club's medical dept

It's almost akin to a Coach giving tips to another Club player

I feel like we are in a Vic AFL snare.
I understand that Oliver would be a great addition, amazing in fact, the solution we have all been looking but has alluded us. He is in that top 10 players in the AFL conversation.
Without Clayton, the Crows are building, and I believe we have entered into the premiership window for the next 3-5 years. The carrot on the stick is that Clayton offers a flag in 24’ and 25’. He is a big sugar hit. However I will remind Crows fans that the probability of winning the flag in any year is pretty slim, and in all likelihood we don’t win one in next two years.
What we will have done is to have traded everything including the kitchen sink to get Oliver, to the detriment of continuing our forward momentum of building depth and quality from drafting and trading in other players with the currency we would have used on Oliver.
My misgivings are: Does Oliver break down in two years? Does his body not hold up? Does he have a club culture fallout? Does he even like the Crows? Will he be a mole to leak the Crows plans prior to important games? Does the Vic AFL have its fingers in this? Is Clayton planning on life after footy? Does he want to go through 7 more preseasons?
What Melbourne will be achieving by trading Oliver is to shorten their premiership window, which has perhaps now slipped out a bit. They will offload a big contract at the same time.
What the Crows would achieve is a full gambit at a flag that comes with risks of failure and could result in us just being a mediocre team for ten years.
Imagine if the story broke that Dawson was going somewhere else even though he is contracted. Our management would be straight in front of the cameras saying that that will not be happening.
What we are getting from Melbourne is crickets!
I apologise for the doom and gloom conspiracies. By all means we should go to the negotiating table. However we are low balling our offer. Do not get sucked in to throw everything at this deal. If Melbourne don’t like it then we walk away.
I would sooo much prefer that we focus on Mabior Chol and the Gold Coast number 4 pick. After all that’s what Melbourne want and McKercher is probably the target.
If we accomplish that then that is blue ribbon stuff.
Come at me!

8 for Sholl

Running Man Abandon Thread GIF by MOODMAN

I understand that Oliver would be a great addition, amazing in fact, the solution we have all been looking but has alluded us. He is in that top 10 players in the AFL conversation.
Without Clayton, the Crows are building, and I believe we have entered into the premiership window for the next 3-5 years. The carrot on the stick is that Clayton offers a flag in 24’ and 25’. He is a big sugar hit. However I will remind Crows fans that the probability of winning the flag in any year is pretty slim, and in all likelihood we don’t win one in next two years.
What we will have done is to have traded everything including the kitchen sink to get Oliver, to the detriment of continuing our forward momentum of building depth and quality from drafting and trading in other players with the currency we would have used on Oliver.
My misgivings are: Does Oliver break down in two years? Does his body not hold up? Does he have a club culture fallout? Does he even like the Crows? Will he be a mole to leak the Crows plans prior to important games? Does the Vic AFL have its fingers in this? Is Clayton planning on life after footy? Does he want to go through 7 more preseasons?
What Melbourne will be achieving by trading Oliver is to shorten their premiership window, which has perhaps now slipped out a bit. They will offload a big contract at the same time.
What the Crows would achieve is a full gambit at a flag that comes with risks of failure and could result in us just being a mediocre team for ten years.
Imagine if the story broke that Dawson was going somewhere else even though he is contracted. Our management would be straight in front of the cameras saying that that will not be happening.
I apologise for the doom and gloom conspiracies. By all means we should go to the negotiating table. However we are low balling our offer. Do not get sucked in to throw everything at this deal. If Melbourne don’t like it then we walk away.
I would sooo much prefer that we focus on Mabior Chol and the Gold Coast number 4 pick. After all that’s what Melbourne want and McKercher is probably the target.
Come at me!
Hi, Melbourne Demons fan.

Which in itself is very interesting ....how often would another Club's Sports Science Manager, advise another Club's player to go outside his Club's medical dept

It's almost akin to a Coach giving tips to another Club player
Interesting way to interpret that

Half the Adelaide players used to go and see Steve Saunders outside the club at his Gilbert St practice in the 2000's

For all we know he rang Burgess and asked if he knew anyone he could refer him to?

Come at me!
Some pretty crazy thinking in those misgivings

Interesting way to interpret that

Half the Adelaide players used to go and see Steve Saunders outside the club at his Gilbert St practice in the 2000's

For all we know he rang Burgess and asked if he knew anyone he could refer him to?
And that maybe the simple answer here .....but I like the conspiracy angle as well ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id probably say Oliver would be higher than that just purely because he is in the peak of his powers and the Carey trade was more of a 'hope' for something good for a year or two.

Oliver elevates the Crows to premiership chances straight away.

Right now id say its about 50:50 if the Crows make the Finals next year. (without Oliver)
Currently $18 on sportsbet

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Come at me!

I think your post comes from disbelief. All of us are just trying to get our head around this as well. I am not letting myself believe it either. Im just putting logic into the equation.

I just think logically, this is a deal thats secretly been in the works for months. If it turns out the reports are correct and we only just received 2 days notice, the likely hood this falls over is huge. But there are way too many components coming out smelling clean and convenient for only 2 days notice. Do we honestly think there'd be leaked reports of Oliver being open to a move to Adelaide by reputable news sources (not AFL rumour mongers on trade radio) within 2 days.

Come at me!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve changed my mind. I was a little concerned by his peccadilloes but I’ve been convinced and have changed my stance

This is the message that swayed me, and no I’m not joking…

I agree. Quietly waiting our turn hasn’t worked. Balls out and embrace the chaos

What we’ve doing hasn’t been working and I guess there are limited pathways to that sort of talent

Swallowing the crazy being one of those paths

I’m prepared to get higher here than Oliver with a tattoo gun in one hand and a sock on the floor! Get the other sock off Clay - let’s rock!

And I’m serious. Let’s strap ourselves in and just F***ing go for it

I think it's the point that people at our club have historically missed about culture.

Bringing in only well behaved boys isn't a sign of a strong culture at all: there's nothing needed to keep them on the straight and narrow.

A strong culture, built around winning, is when you have the leadership necessary to take in players who otherwise could be seen as a red flag, and pull them in the right direction to the benefit of the team. If you can't do this, you're limiting the talent pool that can contribute to success significantly.

Let's use my Philadelphia Eagles as an example: it's not a sign of your culture to take Devonta Smith- he's a consummate professional who'll do the right things, and he was going to be good anywhere. The sign of your culture is being able to take Jalen Carter, have him surrounded by leadership, and to get him to play like the guy that was thought of as the best player in the draft but for the 'character questions'. All of a sudden we look like we've got young Warren Sapp on the roster with a chip on his shoulder.

From a poster that doesn't want this information attached to them

"This comes directly from a mate who works at a Victorian club.

We haven’t been speaking to him for a month. His manger has only taken calls from this past Monday.

This has eventuated as he didn’t attend a senior players end of year catch up and a rift started, plus him not wanting to attend the B&F.

He self tattooed his foot which caused an infection, this is what complicated the hammy injury. Goodwin and Gawn were very pissed off with him about that. He was very unprofessional during rehab and expected to walk back in. Rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way.

He wasn’t happy end of the year but nothing to the extent of looking elsewhere. He’s only spoken to management and his team about it this past Monday."

Come at me!
I mean I def get suspicions on why Melbourne are letting him go. But you gotta back our club to evaluate Oliver's character. We'd have been on this for months now, Nicks doesn't strike me as the type to recruit someone that hasn't bought in to his culture.

Come at me!
You're kidding yourself, Reid is their target.

Come at me!
Melbourne is saying nothing because they want him out and are currently holding a board meeting to discuss his future and whether this has changed. I'm not sure how you think if this happen it will set us back 10 years given our core group of young players are looking very good right now so we are at a stage where adding an elite experience player in our weakest part of the field will push us into playing finals and then premiership contention the following year. Oliver clearly see the club is on an up trend, if we were still struggling this year then he wouldn't even think of coming here.

We haven’t been speaking to him for a month. His manger has only taken calls from this past Monday.

This has eventuated as he didn’t attend a senior players end of year catch up and a rift started, plus him not wanting to attend the B&F.

He self tattooed his foot which caused an infection, this is what complicated the hammy injury. Goodwin and Gawn were very pissed off with him about that. He was very unprofessional during rehab and expected to walk back in. Rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way.

He wasn’t happy end of the year but nothing to the extent of looking elsewhere. He’s only spoken to management and his team about it this past Monday."
So… is he seriously looking elsewhere? Or just testing the waters?

If it's legit two days notice I have no idea how we possibly get this over the line

If it's legit two days notice I have no idea how we possibly get this over the line
I guess the Melb statement will kinda confirm or deny that

If they come out and say ‘we’re categorically not trading him’, it makes sense. If it’s anything but that… I don’t see how that quote would be possible

It’s 10:40 here in VIC, so they’re obviously having huge discussions over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back