List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

He was booted. Plain and simple.

There's a stench around Sam Mitchell at the moment. There's a fair bit in the Tom Mitchell podcast stuff.

O'mearas version of last year's trade period would be fascinating.

I like the idea of Gunston. At 32 we get two years of a smart, experienced forward - would be awesome for Souv, who currently is the oppo's only concern when matching us up at that end of the ground. Frees up Chom to go back, CCJ to maybe get the third gorilla, has leadership, works well with Clarko.

One question - if Mitchell booted him, why would he want to go back there? If someone gives me the arse then I ain't goin' back. Why would Hawthorn clear the decks of Gunston, O'Meara & Mitchell, go better than anyone expected in 2023 (they beat both Grand Finalists and lost to a PF team by 2pts) and then want one of them back? I think he saw the writing on the wall at Hawthorn and thought ol' mate Fages would help him out. Now it didn't work out he's come crawling back.

Another question - is the stench on Sam or Tom? The bloke wins a flag, and then within a week digs up a coffin from his old coach. I don't know if the feedback he was given was unfair but it didn't seem outrageous. A door closed, another one opened to better things.

I don’t get why so many people on here don’t see Jy as a leader.

Is there something I’m/he’s missing?

View attachment 1831687

Good question. The obvious answer is that I have no idea. I don't sit in on team meetings, I'm not out in the huddle during breaks, I don't have access to Jy's calendar to see who he's checking in with during the week. Hell, I don't even go to training. He may be fantastic but judging leadership of groups you're not a part of can be hard.

My ill-informed observation is that he doesn't appear to be the "follow me" type of leader who doesn't say much but makes all the right decisions on the field at precisely the right times. And he doesn't seem to have the galvanising personality of elite leaders.

The co-captain move maybe didn't help my perception. If he had leadership in spades then why dilute it by sharing it with a guy who also doesn't scream elite leadership?

And even if he was a super leader, he needs more around him to get a team with 11 wins in four years up the ladder.

Bottom line - I don't know.

What's our projected best 22 forward line if Comben is moved back?

HF: Thomas - Zurhaar - Sheezel
FF: George/Stevo - Larkey - Curtis
?
This could be one hell of a forwardline:

If we can properly coach the players to lead into space, fake lead and work for each other to get east marks inside. Too little of this has happened and combined with our lacklustre HF control has meant easy rebounds and shots on goal…

AND

We get the players fit enough and courageous enough to run 10-12 km for each other.

Good question. The obvious answer is that I have no idea. I don't sit in on team meetings, I'm not out in the huddle during breaks, I don't have access to Jy's calendar to see who he's checking in with during the week. Hell, I don't even go to training. He may be fantastic but judging leadership of groups you're not a part of can be hard.

My ill-informed observation is that he doesn't appear to be the "follow me" type of leader who doesn't say much but makes all the right decisions on the field at precisely the right times. And he doesn't seem to have the galvanising personality of elite leaders.

The co-captain move maybe didn't help my perception. If he had leadership in spades then why dilute it by sharing it with a guy who also doesn't scream elite leadership?

And even if he was a super leader, he needs more around him to get a team with 11 wins in four years up the ladder.

I got the impression that to the coaching staff Jy was the obvious candidate. But due to it being a popularity contest down at North, Jy was added as a contingency to McDonald. Imagine if LMac was the sole Captain in 2023. Yikes!

WC 2, 15, 18, 42 had 1, 23, 37
M 3, 17, had 6, 11, 42
NM 1, 6, 11, 23, 37 had 2,3,15,17,18

I haven't even convinced myself.

Just a thought bubble really
Everyone seems to think this is trash, both North and WC fans and fair enough. I'm only musing, trying to think of something feasible.

But if North walked out on draft night with

1 Harley Reid
6 Ryley Sanders.
11 Ollie Murphy or O'Sullivan
23 Archer Reid
37 whoever fits a need

Would we call that a win?

I got the impression that to the coaching staff Jy was the obvious candidate. But due to it being a popularity contest down at North, Jy was added as a contingency to McDonald. Imagine if LMac was the sole Captain in 2023. Yikes!
Jy should not be captain.

Good, but not great in the middle.

Does not lead by example, and acts like a hitman.

You can be captain or enforcer, but not both.

This could be one hell of a forwardline:

If we can properly coach the players to lead into space, fake lead and work for each other to get east marks inside. Too little of this has happened and combined with our lacklustre HF control has meant easy rebounds and shots on goal…

AND

We get the players fit enough and courageous enough to run 10-12 km for each other.
Damn. No room for Ford

“Genuinely the worst team mate I’ve ever had through my career. Shocking bloke. The entire playing list wanted him gone”

- NM Player who has played at multiple clubs about a player that has recently left the club.
Should be a perfect fit at *.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtain looks likely to be available at 6 and we are so skinny at key back. Dees wanna push up.

In: 6, 11, F1
Out: 3, 18
Expanding on this, if sanders is available at 6, take him and trade #15+#17+F2 for Geelong #8+F1. Would give us 4 of the first 11 and 3 future firsts.

A draft haul of:
2 McKercher/duursma
6 Sanders/Watson/Curtin (if Sanders taken)
8 Sully/Caddy
11 Caddy/Murphy/slider

We lose the ability to choose, but getting an extra pick in what seems like a really strong top 8 could fast track out climb.

I heard Mr Whateley mention last week that Gunston left for a 3 year contract. Hawks only had 2 years on the table for him….

Not sure how true that is, imagine if he goes back to the Hawks and they honour his remaining 2 years!!

?
Still a bit to play out re draft picks but at this stage we will be looking at a smaller, more skilled and more mobile forward structure. Clarko has always favoured a more dynamic forward line and he will be looking to implement that in 2024.

At this stage - and assuming we keep picks 2 and 3 and hence take Duursma - I think we are looking at

HF: Simpkin Zurhaar Ford
F: Duursma Larkey Thomas

Sheezal will start in the midfield - there will be no starvation corner on a flank for him.

There will be no '7th forward' either as both Powell and WhiPhi will be running through there and on ball from a starting bench position.

What will be worth watching is whether we are able to pick up Caddy around the pick 8 mark - if we can he will come into immediate consideration for a forward spot.

I expect George to work his way into calculations by Round 6-8 - it may take him longer and he won't be rushed.

As for Sleevo, PC, CT, CCJ, Harvey, Mahoney, Tucker, Drury, Hansen - they are all starting a fair way back and will need to work hard in the preseason and at VFL level to get into consideration for a forward role in the ones.

I like PC the best out of that group - and I think he will get a lot of games in the ones - but he will need to perform well at VFL level first.

?
My other question - will this forward line generate enough pressure to keep the ball locked in our forward half?

My other question - will this forward line generate enough pressure to keep the ball locked in our forward half?
It'll have to do. I'd rather have the talent out there than playing a useless Spicer/Turner/RHJ (assuming he doesn't come on very quickly) type. It's very small-ball apart from Larkey too. No super defensive types but no statues either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back