2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

As I've said multiple times history is only a guide but a player over 25 being drafted inside the top 50 hasn't happened. 50 a pretty random number to choose but some are saying top 35 or so.

Thing is the draft has been around 55-60 selections for probably 5-6 years and we still only see players that age drafted in the last few picks or more likely than not the rookie draft.

I reality is that it'd make Mannagh the best player over 25 in draft history in terms of draft selection by drafting him top 50. It'd be a massive call by a club - Quite frankly I'd be surprised if any club has the balls to do it.
Yeah I don't like Mannagh with a pick inside 40. You can find quality 18yo small forwards anywhere in that range.

Taking him in the 50s is probably worth the risk. I'd rather just rookie him if we're keen but it sounds like there is a bit of competition.

Yeah I don't like Mannagh with a pick inside 40. You can find quality 18yo small forwards anywhere in that range.

Taking him in the 50s is probably worth the risk. I'd rather just rookie him if we're keen but it sounds like there is a bit of competition.
Checked his VFL GK stats 32.28 from 18 matches in 2023 (just under 2 per match). Maybe they don't quite support the hype created by his highlights reel.

Checked his VFL GK stats 32.28 from 18 matches in 2023 (just under 2 per match). Maybe they don't quite support the hype created by his highlights reel.
Did you check his other stats? He’s a midfielder who kicks nearly 2 goals a game and averages over 20 possessions a game, with a high of 40. often listed as starting as a half back or half forward flanker.

Overrated as fcuk…
Personally I would take Ben Sokol over Mannagh…and by a long, long way.
Played consistently and bags more goals - he is at a way higher level in a superior competition being the WAFL.
Typical Vic bias….. just because he had a good game in the VFL GF…
Give me the grub from the Moss street fairies in Milan Murdock before him…
Edit: not a grub, just he is stained by being from EF 😬

Overrated as fcuk…
Personally I would take Ben Sokol over Mannagh…and by a long, long way.
Played consistently and bags more goals - he is at a way higher level in a superior competition being the WAFL.
Typical Vic bias….. just because he had a good game in the VFL GF…
Different players completely

Sokol is an undersized key forward

Joe Fonti is a strange one to me. Has the athleticism and ball reading to be an AFL player, like a more defensive Jordan Clark but his ball use by foot makes him look like the sort of player you instruct to win the ball back (and he can win it in the air and on ground) then just run it as far as you can before kicking the ball as long as you can to grass.

The Danyle Pearce special, with added size and marking ability.

Has the size, the speed and agility to be an absolute weapon in a stoppage or in general play, but a chaos kick.

Would be happy enough with Fonti as a late/rookie pick. Obviously his kicking needs work, but the rest of his game looks good.

Side note ... how bad was the kick on goal at 1:45 from O'Driscoll in the second Fonti video above? I'm sure everyone has shanked them, but doesn't fill me with much confidence if we draft him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JFC.

You go through life, thinking the best of people, and then it turns out you had it all wrong. Here was I, thinking you were a good bloke and you're actually one of those.

Good eye for talent though. Murdock has a heart bigger than dinosaur testicles and I would love to see him get a gig in the AFL, but size is against him.

Different players completely

Sokol is an undersized key forward
Got ya Leo, and fair point but I was more pointing out state league and players that ‘kick’ goals aren’t all the same or as they seem…
I personally don’t see the point in a Mannagh, as I would go a youngn

JFC.

You go through life, thinking the best of people, and then it turns out you had it all wrong. Here was I, thinking you were a good bloke and you're actually one of those.

Good eye for talent though. Murdock has a heart bigger than dinosaur testicles and I would love to see him get a gig in the AFL, but size is against him.
And on that, one of my good mates is Leigh Willison - and he has been depressed for weeks as he can’t ‘dine out’ as being part of the last EF premiership team - he is gutted….🤣
Suck balls Willo !!!

Would be happy enough with Fonti as a late/rookie pick. Obviously his kicking needs work, but the rest of his game looks good.

Side note ... how bad was the kick on goal at 1:45 from O'Driscoll in the second Fonti video above? I'm sure everyone has shanked them, but doesn't fill me with much confidence if we draft him.
I thought O’Driscoll was similar to Errol Gulden?!

ESPN's Phantom Draft has Mitch Edwards slipping past pick 40. He couldn't, could he?

1700018210326.png

Would happily put either Port or Collingwoods pick on the table for Collard, but Sanchez isn't a bad consolation prize. Seems very much a Walls type.

On the off chance Edwards does slip through, I think you just take him but we could probably better use the picks on other areas.

From Cal
Ashton Moir has been one of the most interesting draft stories of this year. Started the year as a top-five contender and won't be in that mix now but has still had clubs watching given his talent. Carlton has been linked with its picks in the 20s.
@AFLcomau

From Cal
Ashton Moir has been one of the most interesting draft stories of this year. Started the year as a top-five contender and won't be in that mix now but has still had clubs watching given his talent. Carlton has been linked with its picks in the 20s.
@AFLcomau
* I hate Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back