2023 young talent time

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure who this guy is but he doesn’t have Edwards in his top 40.

Technically he does - Charlie Edwards is at 22. And to be fair he does say that after his first three tiers you could throw a blanket over it (although I would probably say the fuzziness starts after his tier one list).
No way he lasts to 40 the way he clunks them. Honestly NGA is such a waste of money and resources now you wonder why the club bothers with it. I’d be ok with us redirecting those funds to retaining key players.
I like the way Mitch Edwards marks the ball and also his athleticism is good for a 200cm+ player, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year with his performances (he was only okay in the championships and arguably disappointing in reserves) and whilst his athleticism might be good it isn't in the top bracket for ruckmen this year (Compare to someone like Ethan Read, Archer Reid, or even to a local WA prospect like Zane Zakoletsky). The places for rucks on teams is fairly minimal and he hasn't done much to demonstrate he is anything other than a ruckman, only kicking 4 goals for the season in WAFL colts+reserves.

That in itself I think may be enough to suggest he could go outside the Top 40.

No way he lasts to 40 the way he clunks them. Honestly NGA is such a waste of money and resources now you wonder why the club bothers with it. I’d be ok with us redirecting those funds to retaining key players.
How do you propose those funds are re-directed?
Salaries are covered by the salary cap, and other direct spending is covered by the soft cap.

The club doesn't report on spend compared to either cap as far as I'm aware (or NGA spending), so it's hard to know if there is much ability to redirect funds.

Hi Chris

Thanks so much for posting this and all your efforts. I personally prefer Collard to Throlstrup as a small to medium forward.

I'm surprised you have them the other way around.

Do you think it's worth offering a club our Collingwood 2024 pick for Collard if he's on the table before WC 2nd round pick? What do you think he is worth?

Also is it worth putting something big from our plethora of first round picks on Curtin if he slides down the draft order on draft night?

Thanks

My own rankings have Collard above Tholstrup, my mock is partly also what I think clubs will do though. And mid to late first round, it sounds as though Tholstrup has some suitors.

I’m in two minds about trading a future first to move up and get Collard. Talent wise, I think he’d be worth it. But I also like the flexibility going forward with multiple high picks to play with.

I wouldn’t make a play for Curtin personally. The cost would likely be too high. He’d be a decent fit for us because I think he’s an intercepting third tall, not a KPD, but getting into the top 10 would be tough.

Salaries are covered by the salary cap, and other direct spending is covered by the soft cap.

The club doesn't report on spend compared to either cap as far as I'm aware (or NGA spending), so it's hard to know if there is much ability to redirect funds.
Redirect them into overseas players.
Irish have proved themselves to be solid pickups.
They might even turn out to be a bit more loyal 🤣

Dunno. We should think of something novel to incentivize players staying like buying them farms or getting them paid brand ambassadorships to our major sponsors….

Dunno. We should think of something novel to incentivize players staying like buying them farms or getting them paid brand ambassadorships to our major sponsors….
You joke but we 100% should. I get the feeling that we aren't as aggressive on this front because we are outside Victoria and they won't tolerate it.

Technically he does - Charlie Edwards is at 22. And to be fair he does say that after his first three tiers you could throw a blanket over it (although I would probably say the fuzziness starts after his tier one list).

I like the way Mitch Edwards marks the ball and also his athleticism is good for a 200cm+ player, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year with his performances (he was only okay in the championships and arguably disappointing in reserves) and whilst his athleticism might be good it isn't in the top bracket for ruckmen this year (Compare to someone like Ethan Read, Archer Reid, or even to a local WA prospect like Zane Zakoletsky). The places for rucks on teams is fairly minimal and he hasn't done much to demonstrate he is anything other than a ruckman, only kicking 4 goals for the season in WAFL colts+reserves.

That in itself I think may be enough to suggest he could go outside the Top 40.
Thanks for this Ysaye. Appreciate your insights.

We tried that, it didn't work

Plenty of players had Alcock homes and they still left, now Dale has even left the club lol

Hi Purple People. I come in peace.

I have Freo in a phantom draft. Was wondering if there's players you like or don't. Areas of the list you'd like to see recruited?

Obviously gotta work with the picks you've got. So pretty sure I can't get you Harley Reid.

Cheers

Ps - I posted this elsewhere but realised this is a better home for my Qs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have Freo in a phantom draft. Was wondering if there's players you like or don't. Areas of the list you'd like to see recruited?

Obviously gotta work with the picks you've got. So pretty sure I can't get you Harley Reid.

Cheers

Forward half talent.
Outside class (we need a new wing to develop for other clubs)

Cheers

Is live trading of future picks allowed in your phantom draft, if not, sorry we have such a crap selection of picks.

Cheers

We exist in this draft in the area where 'best available' lacks a bit of relevance so your focus on needs is the right approach I reckon. Drago has nailed our needs I reckon.

I would encourage you not to fall into the usual groupthink of chasing WA players. Let their footballing qualities be the decisive factor.

EDIT; thought I'd add an additional I reckon, just for amusement purposes.

Cheers

As mentioned , forward half talent, small forward in particular I think. Collard ( if we trade up) , Mannaugh?, Sanchez etc.

Forward half talent.
Outside class (we need a new wing to develop for other clubs)

Thanks.

Is live trading of future picks allowed in your phantom draft, if not, sorry we have such a crap selection of picks.

Nah, I chose Freo. I prefer to pick sliders or find late gems rather than the pressure of nailing picks at the top of the order.

As mentioned , forward half talent, small forward in particular I think. Collard ( if we trade up) , Mannaugh?, Sanchez etc.

Common theme, thanks.

We exist in this draft in the area where 'best available' lacks a bit of relevance so your focus on needs is the right approach I reckon. Drago has nailed our needs I reckon.

I would encourage you not to fall into the usual groupthink of chasing WA players. Let their footballing qualities be the decisive factor.

EDIT; thought I'd add an additional I reckon, just for amusement purposes.

Very helpful, I reckon.

So if we move up in the draft as I suspect and expect we will, these are some of the players who might possibly be available to us early as well as with later picks. WA slant only.

Clay Hall - suffered from back related injuries for most of the season, already well built and a work horse who made the AA squad after the championships. Not overly quick, but does a lot of things really weel, particularly reading the play and positioning himself as an outlet. Played some footy for Peel seniors on a wing early in the season. Can occasionally butcher his kicks but to be fair it's probably understandable with his back. Would not be unhappy if he got him as a later pick.

Koltyn Tholstrup - played a lot of senior footy for Subi and was ok, he's already a solid dude, not quick, not particularly strong overhead and tends to spray his goalkicking, he can give it a roost though and had good combine results - but it's a no from me - IMO overrated and nothing screams that he would be a good AFL footballer. Would love for West Coast to pick him up early.

Koen Sanchez - another who was rewarded with AA selection, has some good footy nous and can kick a goal but way more of a mid than a small forward, and he is quite small. Not for our first pick.

Zane Zakostelsky - jury still out on him, rucked at colts level and at 196cm that's too short at AFL level. Can't see him moving into the midfield as he's not quick enough and suffers from that in between size as a ruck/mid, probably best suited as a key back. Still pretty raw although pretty good athletically. Not sure he's worth a pick before 30.

Lance Collard - ok I confess that this is the guy I want from the draft the most - has huge upside and x-factor, very quick, solid overhead without being great, but a natural goalkicker, and very much what our forward line needs.

Aiden O'Driscoll - the quickest player in the WAFL this year, already has a good tank, small but can run all day and that pace is exactly what JLo would love running up and down the wing, another West Aussie that is pretty small. Would love him as a later pick

Riley Hardeman - not expecting him to be available but would be another great addition on the wing or off a back flank, runs all day and has a good head on his shoulders impressing everyone at interviews.

Mitch Edwards - don't think he makes it pass 40 and not a great need as far as rucks go.

Dan Curtin - in the unlikely event that he somehow gets past pick 8 i think we'll try to trade up for him.

So if we move up in the draft as I suspect and expect we will, these are some of the players who might possibly be available to us early as well as with later picks. WA slant only.

Clay Hall - suffered from back related injuries for most of the season, already well built and a work horse who made the AA squad after the championships. Not overly quick, but does a lot of things really weel, particularly reading the play and positioning himself as an outlet. Played some footy for Peel seniors on a wing early in the season. Can occasionally butcher his kicks but to be fair it's probably understandable with his back. Would not be unhappy if he got him as a later pick.

Koltyn Tholstrup - played a lot of senior footy for Subi and was ok, he's already a solid dude, not quick, not particularly strong overhead and tends to spray his goalkicking, he can give it a roost though and had good combine results - but it's a no from me - IMO overrated and nothing screams that he would be a good AFL footballer. Would love for West Coast to pick him up early.

Koen Sanchez - another who was rewarded with AA selection, has some good footy nous and can kick a goal but way more of a mid than a small forward, and he is quite small. Not for our first pick.

Zane Zakostelsky - jury still out on him, rucked at colts level and at 196cm that's too short at AFL level. Can't see him moving into the midfield as he's not quick enough and suffers from that in between size as a ruck/mid, probably best suited as a key back. Still pretty raw although pretty good athletically. Not sure he's worth a pick before 30.

Lance Collard - ok I confess that this is the guy I want from the draft the most - has huge upside and x-factor, very quick, solid overhead without being great, but a natural goalkicker, and very much what our forward line needs.

Aiden O'Driscoll - the quickest player in the WAFL this year, already has a good tank, small but can run all day and that pace is exactly what JLo would love running up and down the wing, another West Aussie that is pretty small. Would love him as a later pick

Riley Hardeman - not expecting him to be available but would be another great addition on the wing or off a back flank, runs all day and has a good head on his shoulders impressing everyone at interviews.

Mitch Edwards - don't think he makes it pass 40 and not a great need as far as rucks go.

Dan Curtin - in the unlikely event that he somehow gets past pick 8 i think we'll try to trade up for him.

Just to be clear Zane Zakoletsky is fast - he was Top 10 for all players at the national combine in the 20m sprint (2.95sec) AND the agility run and apparently got a 2.85sec for the 20m earlier in the year in pre-season WAFC testing; to put it perspective that WAFC time is faster than anyone on your list including O'Driscoll. Watching him out on the field as well, you can tell he has a spring ahead of most others.

196cm is definitely short for a ruck but bear in mind he also topped the vertical jump testing at the combine too, his taps are really good and his mobility at ground level is unique so I definitely think he is a shock option in the ruck at an AFL level. I seem him as probably alternating between KP back and ruck for a club at AFL level.

Just to be clear Zane Zakoletsky is fast - he was Top 10 for all players at the national combine in the 20m sprint (2.95sec) AND the agility run and apparently got a 2.85sec for the 20m earlier in the year in pre-season WAFC testing; to put it perspective that WAFC time is faster than anyone on your list including O'Driscoll. Watching him out on the field as well, you can tell he has a spring ahead of most others.

196cm is definitely short for a ruck but bear in mind he also topped the vertical jump testing at the combine too, his taps are really good and his mobility at ground level is unique so I definitely think he is a shock option in the ruck at an AFL level. I seem him as probably alternating between KP back and ruck for a club at AFL level.
Fast doesn't necessarily equate to being quick through midfield traffic.

For me, Zakostelsky is the type of player you’d love as a rookie - and might be intrigued enough by to get in first and take from 40-50 onwards. I struggle to see him being worth any more than that.

He’s basically just a tall who can run. Outside of playing as an undersized ruck, he has little exposed form. And when he has played down back, he hasn’t exactly been great - and I do think that’s where he’ll be developed. It is a reasonably ‘easy’ position to learn - hence why so many failed forwards go back. But elite speed isn’t really a huge factor for KPDs, it’s not a reason to pay a premium for a developmental prospect in my opinion.

Just looking at last years draft, I wouldn’t take Zakostelsky over Hugh Davies or Jed Adams.

Sounds just like Ben Miller

For me, Zakostelsky is the type of player you’d love as a rookie - and might be intrigued enough by to get in first and take from 40-50 onwards. I struggle to see him being worth any more than that.

He’s basically just a tall who can run. Outside of playing as an undersized ruck, he has little exposed form. And when he has played down back, he hasn’t exactly been great - and I do think that’s where he’ll be developed. It is a reasonably ‘easy’ position to learn - hence why so many failed forwards go back. But elite speed isn’t really a huge factor for KPDs, it’s not a reason to pay a premium for a developmental prospect in my opinion.

Just looking at last years draft, I wouldn’t take Zakostelsky over Hugh Davies or Jed Adams.
Quick, real quick, good KPP’s size and gets the footy… lacks polish and quite raw, could definitely develop in a AFL club environment - but then again I thought that about Roy Benning 😬 and maybe that’s the key, does Zakostelsky have the drive and sponge like attributes to make it at the next level?
At one of our last picks I would pull the trigger by drafting him and giving him a minimum 2 year development window.

Our first two picks need to be needs based and best available
  • small forward (best available WA boy)
  • best available WA boy
  • best available WA boy
  • best available WA boy
  • best available WA boy

Quick, real quick, good KPP’s size and gets the footy… lacks polish and quite raw, could definitely develop in a AFL club environment - but then again I thought that about Roy Benning 😬 and maybe that’s the key, does Zakostelsky have the drive and sponge like attributes to make it at the next level?
At one of our last picks I would pull the trigger by drafting him and giving him a minimum 2 year development window.

Our first two picks need to be needs based and best available
  • small forward (best available WA boy)
  • best available WA boy
  • best available WA boy
  • best available WA boy
  • best available WA boy
We’re only taking 3 picks in the national draft, may stretch to 4 if Mitch Edwards slips past pick 40

Remove this Banner Ad

Back