2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you think that would have gone if we didn't do that deal? We needed to get rid of bowes contract, cause he is mid and was on a dime, the cost of that was pick 7
Yeah, it's an old story brought up over and over. Why not bringing up crazy bonanza of points we got last year for our pick 4, haha.

It was a selection process who makes it and at the same time getting a cap in order. Without crazy picks concessions we would not be able to do it. Some people refuse to acknowledge that Suns were in very different position compared to rest of competition and as a result valued picks differently.

I would rather use pick for that than select kids and have them leaving 2-4 years later for lack of opportunity and cap pressure. It's not like we don't have talented players and don't need to play/pay them. And we still did bring top talent in.

Interestingly, there is not much outrage about Hollands and wasting pick 6 on him.

Probably more players to follow considering we just brought in 4 first round kids who all are looking great and there is logjam in some positions. It would not surprise me if we lose Moyle, Andrew, Davies in foreseeable future.

It's in Dimma's hands now and his 80% championship list :) Hopefully, we play finals this year. This should allow us to complement our list with ready-made players.

Last edited:
Bowes barely pays for Geelong (yep, they definitely wanted him and not the pick, hey Dangerfield…) and the player they got with the pick isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire.

Meanwhile, we’ve effectively re-signed everyone but Rankine in that time.

Was it the right call? Seems like it. Should we have been in the position to make that call? Probably not.

Will be interesting to see how they set up Tasmania, because we are the perfect example of high draft picks being detrimental due to inflated salaries in early career.

Bowes barely pays for Geelong (yep, they definitely wanted him and not the pick, hey Dangerfield…) and the player they got with the pick isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire.

Meanwhile, we’ve effectively re-signed everyone but Rankine in that time.

Was it the right call? Seems like it. Should we have been in the position to make that call? Probably not.

Will be interesting to see how they set up Tasmania, because we are the perfect example of high draft picks being detrimental due to inflated salaries in early career.
It looks like Tasmania will be set up much better with more mature, ready players. Some of suggested concessions like being able to pay extra 1-2M to players outside cap would be unbelievable advantage and will attract some players.

Wrong on all accounts.

If you're going to lie at least be good at it? LOL

1. Bowes played 17 of 23 games last year and missed a few through injury. Would have played all 23 had he not been hurt.

2. Patty was Bowes mentor through the under 18 championships, Bowes literally looks up to him as an idol. When Suns management ran him off (he wanted to stay remember) that he wanted to go play with his idol, the guy who helped mentor him as a young boy with his on field play and off field mental health. He was the one who actively recruited Jack back during Covid when Cats were hubbing up in QLD.
He played the long game and it worked out.

2. Bowes and Clark were pretty much our best 2 players in preseason but Bowes has been dealing with injury issues to start the season and hasn't been able to get on the park for the first 2 games...he's best 23 if he's healthy.

3. Clark was fantastic last night, in his 3rd AFL GAME stood up to elite midfielders of the comp and won out.

Not gonna let you blatantly lie about a club you clearly know nothing about.

Last edited:
Wrong on both accounts.

1. Bowes played 17 of 23 games last year and missed a few through injury. Would have played all 23 had he not been hurt.
2. Bowes and Clark were pretty much our best 2 players in preseason but Bowes has been dealing with injury issues to start the season and hasn't been able to get on the park for the first 2 games...he's best 23 if he's healthy.
3. Clark was fantastic last night, in his 3rd AFL GAME stood up to elite midfielders of the comp and won out.

Ok then. Thanks for the info.

I have a few Cats supporters as friends and they see those two players differently, but all good.

Ok then. Thanks for the info.

I have a few Cats supporters as friends and they see those two players differently, but all good.
Lol who?
Never seen any Cats fan criticise Clark like ever? The kid is a contested ball magnet
Bowes started slowly last season which he got some criticism for but came into his own during the year and cemented his spot. Don't see any rational Cats fan not having him best 23.

But anyway, i'm excited for our rematch this year.
Interested to see how Dimma with this young squad plays us in the NT.

Lol who?
Never seen any Cats fan criticise Clark like ever? The kid is a contested ball magnet
Bowes started slowly last season which he got some criticism for but came into his own during the year and cemented his spot. Don't see any rational Cats fan not having him best 23.

This squad isn't young, if you're going to lie at least be good at it? LOL

How do you think that would have gone if we didn't do that deal? We needed to get rid of bowes contract, cause he is mid and was on a dime, the cost of that was pick 7
Disagree, Cats said openly they would of taken him for nothing, possibly the worst deal in AFL history

Cameron did an excellent job last year but the Bowes deal stunk IMO

Lol who?

Look, it’s just an opinion. I stand by my opinion that Clark isn’t “lighting the world on fire” (yes, even though he is early in his career and had a significant injury last season) right now. He looked good in his draft year and will probably be a very solid player for Geelong long term, and maybe even this year.

Bowes is also below average in his position based on last year, and down on previous years.

I’m not saying neither will come good. Clark is obviously young and in a solid system. Bowes was a top pick himself and had a lot of respect from fans for a long time. But if either of them weren’t in the best 22 next week (or for the season) nobody in the AFL world would blink much.

Wrong on all accounts.

2. Patty was Bowes mentor through the under 18 championships, Bowes literally looks up to him as an idol. When Suns management ran him off (he wanted to stay remember) that he wanted to go play with his idol, the guy who helped mentor him as a young boy with his on field play and off field mental health. He was the one who actively recruited Jack back during Covid when Cats were hubbing up in QLD.
He played the long game and it worked out.

You are easily impressed if you think Clark was fantastic last night. But lets definitely not blatantly lie eh?

You bought a draft pick and Bowes was the price. It's cool, everyone is happy now.

Disagree, Cats said openly they would of taken him for nothing, possibly the worst deal in AFL history

Cameron did an excellent job last year but the Bowes deal stunk IMO
But you think the worst of the Suns no matter what.

That's just PR from the cats to cover them buying a draft pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope!

Danger was Bowes mentor through the under 18 championships, Bowes literally looks up to him as an idol. When Suns management ran him off (he wanted to stay remember) that he wanted to go play with his idol, the guy who helped mentor him as a young boy with his on field play and off field mental health. He was the one who actively recruited Jack back during Covid when Cats were hubbing up in QLD.

He played the long game and it worked out. The reason Jack chose Geelong over Brisbane, Adelaide, Essendon etc is cause those clubs hadn't cared about Bowes until Pick 7 became involved. Wells, Danger and Mackie had been chasing Bowes for years at that point. His manager, Jack himself, Danger and Cats management have all stated so.

Agreed. You think if they didn’t want the pick we would have given it up… I’ll give the benefit of the doubt there.
Nope!

Danger was Bowes mentor through the under 18 championships, Bowes literally looks up to him as an idol. When Suns management ran him off (he wanted to stay remember) that he wanted to go play with his idol, the guy who helped mentor him as a young boy with his on field play and off field mental health. He was the one who actively recruited Jack back during Covid when Cats were hubbing up in QLD.

He played the long game and it worked out. The reason Jack chose Geelong over Brisbane, Adelaide, Essendon etc is cause those clubs hadn't cared about Bowes until Pick 7 became involved. Wells, Danger and Mackie had been chasing Bowes for years at that point. His manager, Jack himself, Danger and Cats management have all stated so.
You can’t honestly believe that the Cats wanted Bowes that year without the Pick 7 attached.

Pick 7 was the prize, not Bowes. Believe what you want, but nobody was buying Bowes without it.

d2068d9116e782095e4f164a6a476fe5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While we all have our opinions of the list team and past trade periods etc., it is going to be fascinating to see what happens this year.

Cameron hasn’t got a horde of academy players he needs to spend years stockpiling picks for, but he does have a fantastic draft hand + Leo. He also has Hardwick, who seems to have a lot of involvement in all aspects of the club and probably isn’t going to be as lenient on Cameron as the club has been, given he will know what he is working with and will be looking to make moves to bring in his missing pieces.

Get the popcorn ready.

I don’t think we’re too far away from being an attractive option for elite players. We just need to make sure we get it right, to me, Taranto at Richmond looks half the player he was when he was surrounded by the elite players at GWS.
team sport right - good players look elite in good teams.
How Ollie Wines is a recent Brownlow medalist... 😲

I agree with the attractive option, as long as we don't blow our load and overpay young kids/top draft picks.

Just skimming through the out of contract list to see potential targets and I hope the club has a real go at bailey scott in a homecoming of sorts. Really could do with a half back/ wing of his quality. Jarrod berry could be another realistic option to reunite with his brother.

Just skimming through the out of contract list to see potential targets and I hope the club has a real go at bailey scott in a homecoming of sorts. Really could do with a half back/ wing of his quality. Jarrod berry could be another realistic option to reunite with his brother.
Jarrod Berry is hopeless recently. Just check out Lions threads. Also apparently his shoulders are cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back