List Mgmt. 2024 Draft/Trade/FA Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I disagree.

Not to go #fullDanster but I was against his recruitment from the word go. Made no sense that they both couldn't play forward and thrived as solo rucks.

Couldn't believe we put the $$$ into recruiting a veteran ruck when we needed KPF or an outside mid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think it was a one off hail Mary trying to win the flag last year knowing we could always move him on. We had to pay the money to someone last year and what key forward it outside mid would we have got for pick 31 or whatever we spent

I disagree.

Not to go #fullDanster but I was against his recruitment from the word go. Made no sense that they both couldn't play forward and thrived as solo rucks.

Couldn't believe we put the $$$ into recruiting a veteran ruck when we needed KPF or an outside mid.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The issue with the bolded was who was available? Rory Lobb?

And tbf they did get Lachy hunter going for the outside type player

Its easy to say we should have gone for a classy outside player or KPF, but if there aren't any available you need to take a punt on other options

Said it at the time: relieving Collingwood of the cap space Grundy was taking up was a massive leg up for those campaigners.
Then they rolled us by a few points in a final after literally ending the career of one of our midfielders in the opening minutes.

I don't know if I'd call it a free hit, reports were that we are still paying part of his salary and the relationship was so pox at the end of his time here we literally had Josh f$%^ing Schache as the sub in a final over him, and we didn't even use him when Tom MacDonald was putting in a (predictable) all-time mare.

Was a pretty obvious gamble at the time and I'm not surprised it didn't pay off.

Said it at the time: relieving Collingwood of the cap space Grundy was taking up was a massive leg up for those campaigners.
Then they rolled us by a few points in a final after literally ending the career of one of our midfielders in the opening minutes.

I don't know if I'd call it a free hit, reports were that we are still paying part of his salary and the relationship was so pox at the end of his time here we literally had Josh f$%^ing Schache as the sub in a final over him, and we didn't even use him when Tom MacDonald was putting in a (predictable) all-time mare.

Was a pretty obvious gamble at the time and I'm not surprised it didn't pay off.
Nah we're completely washed of the financial part of the deal. Swans took that on. Yeah taking Grundy probably helped them get McStay over the line easier.

We will have mega $$$ available - we'd be dumb to not be chasing him super hard.
I've seen way more trade news than normal for this time of the season and we haven't been mentioned in a single article. Freo and Adelaide are chasing Gulden, Collingwood chasing Holmes, Geelong after Oliver, Hawks after JUH.

You'd hope we're not sitting on our hands for the third year straight.

I've seen way more trade news than normal for this time of the season and we haven't been mentioned in a single article. Freo and Adelaide are chasing Gulden, Collingwood chasing Holmes, Geelong after Oliver, Hawks after JUH.

You'd hope we're not sitting on our hands for the third year straight.
Literally none of these will happen though, it's just that stupid manager media game to get some extra $ for their clients.
As if JUH is gonna request a trade to Hawthorn lol

Literally none of these will happen though, it's just that stupid manager media game to get some extra $ for their clients.
As if JUH is gonna request a trade to Hawthorn lol
Probably not. Oliver to Cats would actually be the least surprising. It'd be nice to actually be in the hunt for someone. We should have a decent amount of cap space to play with regardless of what happens with Gus.

It didn't work, but look at it this way:

• Gawn got injured at the start of our second game and missed a month. We had a perfect replacement for him.
  • Collingwood paid a big chunk of his salary.
  • He left with no bad feelings whatsoever and players like Verrall got great exposure to a different teacher.
  • We traded him for likely more than what we paid for him (collectively).
  • Collingwood are still paying part of his contract.
  • Sydney are now under cap pressure when they have players to re-sign.

Grundy didn't end up being the reason we failed for the year, if anything he helped us finish top 4 given the Gawn coverage he gave us. Inaccuracy and game style cost us in the end.

Probably not. Oliver to Cats would actually be the least surprising. It'd be nice to actually be in the hunt for someone. We should have a decent amount of cap space to play with regardless of what happens with Gus.
Oliver to cats could happen if he *s up again this year then yeah could see it.

Our issue for chasing someone is two fold, can't see us going after a midfield type because we just don't have the players forward or back to burn two first rounders on a mid. If it's a back or a forward I just don't see who's on the market to chase?

The issue with the bolded was who was available? Rory Lobb?

And tbf they did get Lachy hunter going for the outside type player

Its easy to say we should have gone for a classy outside player or KPF, but if there aren't any available you need to take a punt on other options

I understand that argument but my strategy now (as it would've been then) would be to save the coin rather than spend it unwisely. Restructure some existing deals and hope the savings will allow us to go big when the next opportunity arises in an area we truly need.

I understand that argument but my strategy now (as it would've been then) would be to save the coin rather than spend it unwisely. Restructure some existing deals and hope the savings will allow us to go big when the next opportunity arises in an area we truly need.
Wouldn't have made any difference I don't think. With Tmac, Grundy, Brown and Brayshaw off the books next year that's about 1.6 or so. We are already gonna have to pay some spud too much just to reach the minimum

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we can’t recruit someone we can front load contracts. If players agree. So gives us some scope.
Yeah which is exactly what I said.
Front loading last year would have got us no where and we still have a 1.6 Milly to front load again if we want.

Grundy didn't end up being the reason we failed for the year.
Ok but I’m sick of doing favours for Collingwood. We give them Howe and quality picks we get Ben Kennedy, Dawes, Herretiers Lemumbles. They pay a ruckman a million dollars a year and we take a large chunk of that salary to play him in the reserves.

Pies get enough wristie from the AFL already we don't need to help them out as well.

As an aside, I'll never understand the whole "no one was available" line. Don't tell me if we'd dumped Oliver last year we wouldn't have had the trade capital and salary cap to shake a quality forward loose.
That's why I wanted to lose Oliver our list would be better

That's why I wanted to lose Oliver our list would be better
Yeah initially I was excited when I heard we were open to trading Oliver. I thought maybe the penny had dropped that this bullshit contested style wasn't going to work and we'd over invested so selling our biggest asset could allow us a more balanced list. But nah turns out he was just cooked.

Yeah initially I was excited when I heard we were open to trading Oliver. I thought maybe the penny had dropped that this bullshit contested style wasn't going to work and we'd over invested so selling our biggest asset could allow us a more balanced list. But nah turns out he was just cooked.
Our club would be wayyyyy to ******* soft to make a decision like that. Rushing him back in like we did proves that we think we're ****ed without Oliver which is so dumb.

Yeah the idea of losing Clarry hurt a fair bit.. then I thought about it for about twenty seconds lol.
Yeah Melbourne more important than some fat red head prick. We'd be fine without him. Oh well

It didn't work, but look at it this way:

• Gawn got injured at the start of our second game and missed a month. We had a perfect replacement for him.
  • Collingwood paid a big chunk of his salary.
  • He left with no bad feelings whatsoever and players like Verrall got great exposure to a different teacher.
  • We traded him for likely more than what we paid for him (collectively).
  • Collingwood are still paying part of his contract.
  • Sydney are now under cap pressure when they have players to re-sign.

Grundy didn't end up being the reason we failed for the year, if anything he helped us finish top 4 given the Gawn coverage he gave us. Inaccuracy and game style cost us in the end.
Agree with your points, it's not a long term setback at all.

I just think recruiting a "star" we don't need with no real plan on how we were going to use him is symptomatic of where the club is going wrong atm (i.e. refusing to address deficiencies and arrogantly insisting it's going to work).

Agree with your points, it's not a long term setback at all.

I just think recruiting a "star" we don't need with no real plan on how we were going to use him is symptomatic of where the club is going wrong atm (i.e. refusing to address deficiencies and arrogantly insisting it's going to work).

Yep, great call. We were strongly rumoured to have thrown around a few offers for key forwards, so we definitely tried to do something there, but ending up without one and another ruck in a team already too stoppage focused was not the brightest move.

Yep, great call. We were strongly rumoured to have thrown around a few offers for key forwards, so we definitely tried to do something there, but ending up without one and another ruck in a team already too stoppage focused was not the brightest move.
If I was a KPF, Melbourne would have to offer me 2mil a year for five years to convince me to sit under dump kicks to the pocket.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back