Position 2024 Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Read on the Saints board and lines up with not seeing him all game but Windhager may have broken his hand again apparently.

From memory he had the same injury at the start of last year the poor bugga.
Yeah rough if that’s the case. Another one bites the dust.

Just my thoughts on why I won't be picking N. Martin......

Essendon don't really have a history of HB players going 100+. As good as Martin might be, he still has to share plenty of the ball with McGrath and Redman.
I don't think he is of the Daicos/Sheezal mold where the team try and go through him all the time.

So I see him going 95-100, which might make him a top 10 defender but at his price and where he is currently positioned on AF, there are better value options out there in a mid spot!

Just my thoughts on why I won't be picking N. Martin......

Essendon don't really have a history of HB players going 100+. As good as Martin might be, he still has to share plenty of the ball with McGrath and Redman.
I don't think he is of the Daicos/Sheezal mold where the team try and go through him all the time.

So I see him going 95-100, which might make him a top 10 defender but at his price and where he is currently positioned on AF, there are better value options out there in a mid spot!
Fair points, devil’s advocate though…
They will want the ball in his hands considerably more than they’ll want it to be with McGrath (neat kick but not damaging) or Redman (gets the ball and belts it 65 metres). Plus Martin runs hard to space far better than either of them.

You’re correct to say Essendon HB’s have never really racked up big numbers, but they’ve never had a player like Martin back there either. We’re talking a genuine ball magnet that wants the little sideways kick from a team mate as much as Daicos does. He had 8 scores above 100 last year playing on the wing, which has basically been a fantasy graveyard position lately. Can see him having a peak-Whitfield type season back there, without the Whitfield drama and injury risk.

Agreed. Avoid.

Would they risk it with the Rd2 bye? Maybe you just sit him out for the first two and then play him go from Rd3?
Yeah very true. They’ve got a lot of options for how to ease him back in and they haven’t shown any signs that they’re going to take risks with him (understandably). Could be a sub candidate as well while they’re playing this cautious approach which would be a disaster for somebody priced at $400k.

Concerning.

With doubts now creeping in about Young's mid role, does it not also effect Clark's role too? If Young does get moved back from time to time, wouldn't he take over that 'QB' role from Clark?

With doubts now creeping in about Young's mid role, does it not also effect Clark's role too? If Young does get moved back from time to time, wouldn't he take over that 'QB' role from Clark?
Wouldn't that throw the cat amongst the pigeons

Doubts? Young will start onball and only rest down back here and there. They are fully committed to Young being a mid first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Fyfe went off at half time, Simpson, Erasmus and Brodie came on. All three of them went into the middle and Young went back to allow that. The doubt re Young's role is being way overplayed. Young was a lock in the CBAs for the first half, the role is safe.

Doubts? Young will start onball and only rest down back here and there. They are fully committed to Young being a mid first
Classic pre-season overreaction regarding Young

Happens every pre-season where one popular pick doesn't dominate Fantasy wise, and people start to go cold. Happened last year when Daicos got tagged in pre-season and alot jumped off.

I look mainly for role in pre-season games. If one of my starting picks scores well, thats a bonus.

Happens every pre-season where one popular pick doesn't dominate Fantasy wise, and people start to go cold. Happened last year when Daicos got tagged in pre-season and alot jumped off.

I look mainly for role in pre-season games. If one of my starting picks scores well, thats a bonus.
Hoo boy don’t remind me, went with Duggan instead the useless kent

I understand the concerns on Fyfe stealing some points and competing with too many others for a share of the ball but people shouldnt doubt where he'll play, it'll be almost all onball.

JL keeps talking about needing a left footer in the midfield and Young is basically our only choice there, also says he likes his defensive mind.

If you were already on Young then its not time to jump off IMO
Isn't it a case, FREO need a defensive MID .....all your mids are attacking minded ....and I loved the tackling pressure Young applied last year ..that's what he's there for

I understand the concerns on Fyfe stealing some points and competing with too many others for a share of the ball but people shouldnt doubt where he'll play, it'll be almost all onball.
My own opinion is regardless of how many minutes any of Brayshaw Serong Young have to share time in the middle with simply wont matter the 3 of them are absolute guns and will still rack up plenty of points. I have no issue with having them all in my side you just can't beat class if you ask me.

My own opinion is regardless of how many minutes any of Brayshaw Serong Young have to share time in the middle with simply wont matter the 3 of them are absolute guns and will still rack up plenty of points. I have no issue with having them all in my side you just can't beat class if you ask me.
You and me are going to be friends.

No but, I'm sure there are better ways to have your team in salary cap, would have no problem having all in draft however. I would still bet on Young going at above 95 and the other two above or around 105. Particularly while JL is in charge and likes handballing out of congestion and switching out of defence

Buh bye Zac Williams - no chance I'm playing you off a VFL hitout that I won't even see:

Zac Williams will also take part in the VFL game for the Blues alongside Matthew Kennedy and Sam Durdin, with the match to be the running defender's first proper hit-out in more than 18 months having suffered a serious knee injury.

Buh bye Zac Williams - no chance I'm playing you off a VFL hitout that I won't even see:

Zac Williams will also take part in the VFL game for the Blues alongside Matthew Kennedy and Sam Durdin, with the match to be the running defender's first proper hit-out in more than 18 months having suffered a serious knee injury.

You might get to see him in round 0 don’t forget… but admittedly that is looking less and less likely by the day. Reckon we need alternatives for sure.

He's a R0 player. We either get a look at him then or he's still not right.

The perfect player to have the R0

Priced similar - D'Ambrosio, Budarick
Priced down - Nobody really if you already have Coffield
Priced up - Bowes, Windhager, Coleman

Remove this Banner Ad

Back