Position 2024 Fantasy Forwards

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a fan. It makes pretty much most of the preseason research redundant.
Yes and no. Admittedly I wasn't looking at Heeney or Howes for my side but the former got CBA's last night and the latter is an easy $50-100k where other options might take a month to make that kind of cash.

Where I find the preseason research helpful is my targets haven't changed. I still want the same premiums. I still want the same value players, except some are now in-season downgrade targets instead.

It was always the case with round zero that our teams would likely be wildly different after rounds zero than before. The challenge now is to be smart about it. Do we want Heeney over Flanders and Jackson? Do we keep Windsor or not? How many early bye round players can we afford to carry?

If anything, I think round zero helps to validate our research but now that the numbers mean something, we have to be open to pivot points.

For fantasy there are literally 0 positives for from round 0 existing.

Will save a lot of people from s**t picks, and ruin some peoples PODs. An absoluter disaster for fantasy tbh
We will probably end with everybody having 10+ of the same players in their best 22 just like last year, which was one of the less interesting years of fantasy.

Roberts, Howes, Gulden, Heeney, Grundy, Viney, and Salem are all likely going to have huge changes in ownership just from last night, and we still have 3 games to go with more players going to be the same, invalidating a lot of the effort people have put into the preseason and people who just have a good eye for things

Takes half a heap of the risk out of the game, which is a real shame

If anything, I think round zero helps to validate our research but now that the numbers mean something, we have to be open to pivot points.
It invalidates the research by making it worth less. If everybody can see the roles before they have to lock them in then the research is worth a hell of a lot less.
Yes and no. Admittedly I wasn't looking at Heeney or Howes for my side but the former got CBA's last night and the latter is an easy $50-100k where other options might take a month to make that kind of cash.
This isnt a good thing that you know about Howes and Heeney now, as I said, invalidates research

It invalidates the research by making it worth less. If everybody can see the roles before they have to lock them in then the research is worth a hell of a lot less.

This isnt a good thing that you know about Howes and Heeney now, as I said, invalidates research
It goes the other way too, some will now ditch Gawn, others will bring Salem in (who I think is a trap) Bit of swings and roundabouts I spose

A heap of people still won't pick Heeney though so it's just extra data to make a call on

Can't say whether I like it or not till the season plays out tbh

It goes the other way too, some will now ditch Gawn, others will bring Salem in (who I think is a trap) Bit of swings and roundabouts I spose
Yeah sure people could be baited into weird picks, but just knowing roles of some mid pricers and rookies, like Roberts, just completely ruins it. Now instead of just some people paying attention getting Roberts initial price rise, now literally everybody will have him

Yeah sure people could be baited into weird picks, but just knowing roles of some mid pricers and rookies, like Roberts, just completely ruins it. Now instead of just some people paying attention getting Roberts initial price rise, now literally everybody will have him

Oh seriously cry about it nerd, he could get dropped next week for all you know. Pick someone else then so you can be different and cool

A heap of people still won't pick Heeney though so it's just extra data to make a call on

Can't say whether I like it or not till the season plays out tbh
Its not so much Heeney and Salem I care about, thats just the players he mentioned.
Its the rookies and cheaper mid pricers. Knowing Jordon, Roberts, Howes and Grundy all are safe picks for round 1 with big price rises coming is in no way good, and guys like Gulden will lose most of their ownership.
Consider it now up to Grundy, Jordon, Roberts, Howes, Mckercher, Sanders, Reid, Fisher, Sexton, Young, and Sheezel to be in 90%+ of teams with coaches that pay any attention at all, thats 11 players.
It wont just be them either, there will be plenty more players in this same situation over round 0

I think that most had him anyway, well the coaches that count. But you're right, the players like Howes and Heeney have put their hands up and advertised their roles and scoring FWIW I had Howes and Heeney was a watch given he was training with the mids all pre season. Some coaches will drop Windsor and Jordon who I think are still good value picks.

I think Selby (Morieras Magic) coined the phrase 'cheat code' guess it's proving to be that.

dont play then

Its not so much Heeney and Salem I care about, thats just the players he mentioned.
Its the rookies and cheaper mid pricers. Knowing Jordon, Roberts, Howes and Grundy all are safe picks for round 1 with big price rises coming is in no way good, and guys like Gulden will lose most of their ownership.
Consider it now up to Grundy, Jordon, Roberts, Howes, Mckercher, Sanders, Reid, Fisher, Sexton, Young, and Sheezel to be in 90%+ of teams with coaches that pay any attention at all, thats 11 players.
It wont just be them either, there will be plenty more players in this same situation over round 0
TBH all of those players were in most teams anyway, you'd be doing something wrong if you didn't have them, remembering that we don't get an early look at McKercher, Sanders, Reid, Fisher, Young and Sheezel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game isn't won with your starting side, it's the trades made over the season that count, oh and C choices, good looping and a bucket load of luck with injuries et al

It’s not really that far off a second preseason round which is what we used to have anyway.

As has been mentioned above there’s still an element of risk in players that are playing this week. Salems role is now up in the air with Bowey out, Heeney could suck a lot of people in only to be playing forward next week.

Most of the PODs were blown open last week anyway so I don’t think it changes much (apart from rookies I guess). If anything it actually throws up more questions

TBH all of those players were in most teams anyway, you'd be doing something wrong if you didn't have them, remembering that we don't get an early look at McKercher, Sanders, Reid, Fisher, Young and Sheezel
yes, mose of them would be. But instead of being maybe 60-70% of the active coaches up to 90%+ is a big swing. Grundy would have been even less owned after xerri and gawn in the preseason.
It won't be just the guys who are going to be top 10k ranked who have them now either, all the podcasts and content and whatever out there will tell all the more casual guys who the new "locks" are, when guys like Roberts and Howes certainly weren't locks before last night.

The game isn't won with your starting side, it's the trades made over the season that count, oh and C choices, good looping and a bucket load of luck with injuries et al
Yes, but it evens out the starting squads, which can't be a good thing

It’s not really that far off a second preseason round which is what we used to have anyway.

As has been mentioned above there’s still an element of risk in players that are playing this week. Salems role is now up in the air with Bowey out, Heeney could suck a lot of people in only to be playing forward next week.

Most of the PODs were blown open last week anyway so I don’t think it changes much (apart from rookies I guess). If anything it actually throws up more questions

Spot on. Nearly every year the first round throws up all sorts of anomalies anyway (Rory Laird anyone?)

It's just an another data point and added tactics by trying to ride price rises vs avoiding byes

I'm calling Heeney as a trap selection.

As soon as Parker comes back in (should be around their bye) and Adams, he goes back inside forward 50 to score 70s and 80s.
I think you'd grab him planning to trade out on his bye hoping he's made some cash.

I wonder how many end up with him and Jackson. Will be interesting. Lots of ‘planned’ trades in the first 6-7 weeks. Some people gonna be absolutely ****ed
Yep this is my exact concern. Last year I think I would have had at least 1 forced trade for the first 7 rounds or so.

Very easy to sit here in R0 and map out your trades. But with concussions, subs coming from anywhere on the field to stall cash gen, and suspensions a chance on any given week you don't want too many of these planned early trades.

I am currently rocking Jackson at F1 because it helps with the byes of Gawn and Grundy. That is the only real short term option I am comfortable with in my side.

I'm calling Heeney as a trap selection.

As soon as Parker comes back in (should be around their bye) and Adams, he goes back inside forward 50 to score 70s and 80s.
Dunno, he was on my radar because he'd been training with the mids all pre season, I can't remember which line coach it was but he stated that Heeney was in for more mid rotations, clearances from stoppages and centre bounces was a failure for them last year and with the off season pick ups of Grundy, Jordon and Adams they've looked to address the issue along with Heeney.

Even if he does end up back in the forwards he'll just revert to his long term average of 90 which means he's still 10pts underpriced. He'll get moved around but his all round ability, particularly around stoppages, won't be ignored.

Dunno, he was on my radar because he'd been training with the mids all pre season, I can't remember which line coach it was but he stated that Heeney was in for more mid rotations, clearances from stoppages and centre bounces was a failure for them last year and with the off season pick ups of Grundy, Jordon and Adams they've looked to address the issue along with Heeney.

Even if he does end up back in the forwards he'll just revert to his long term average of 90 which means he's still 10pts underpriced. He'll get moved around but his all round ability, particularly around stoppages, won't be ignored.
100% this. Literally only needs to add 10 points to his average and he’s a premium forward. With how well he played the other night, no way he gets phased out completely. I think he’s a 35-40% CBA guy this season. Will be some ups and downs, but can say that about any forward. If it all clicks. Heeney could average 100 imo. Petracca teased up for years as well before going ham

100% this. Literally only needs to add 10 points to his average and he’s a premium forward. With how well he played the other night, no way he gets phased out completely. I think he’s a 35-40% CBA guy this season. Will be some ups and downs, but can say that about any forward. If it all clicks. Heeney could average 100 imo. Petracca teased up for years as well before going ham
Heeney might start the season well but Adams and Parker will be back at some point

Remove this Banner Ad

Back