No.4 — Ollie Hollands
No.14 — Orazio Fantasia
No.20 — Elijah Hollands
No.25 — Jaxon Binns
No.32 — Matthew Carroll
No.34 — Rob Monahan
No.35 — Billy Wilson
No.43 — Ashton Moir
I actually like Moir in 43. Big shoes to fill but I feel he has the flair and arrogance to do it justice!!!

Love the insight the numbers bring.

Great expectations on Cowan.

That training footage confirmed my belief that Dutchy will find himself in the engine room sooner than most expect.

Binns afforded the opportunity for #25 suggests he has been pencilled in long term.

Elijah in #20. At least I had one correct🤪

Love the insight the numbers bring.

Great expectations on Cowan.

That training footage confirmed my belief that Dutchy will find himself in the engine room sooner than most expect.

Binns afforded the opportunity for #25 suggests he has been pencilled in long term.

Elijah in #20. At least I had one correct🤪

By sooner I suspect this year. Could see him playing that high forward role Walsh was playing a few years ago where he went into the midfield after the centre bounce. Looks like he feels he belongs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of me doesn't care about the numbers.
Part of me does. This is why:
A year ago, one of the greatest players this club has ever had, Rod Ashman (Carlton TOTC) presented Ollie with his old number, 14.
A year later, Ollie trades it in for 4.

So what's the deal?
Does lineage matter, does the history of who came before you matter, or is it just a case of the closer a number is to 1, the better?

I don't really care which it is, but I think it's a bit rubbish to make a point of getting a legend of the club to present his old number to the new wearer of that number, and then a year on the new player drops it like it's hot. Especially odd given it's not like Ollie was saddled with 52, and had to hang out at the arse end of the locker room.

Obviously for a lot of players it's as simple as single-digit > double digit. No problem. If that's the case, don't bother dragging back Rod Ashman et al to present their numbers, if it doesn't mean anything.

Love Moir in 43 through. That's a magic number for us, with Swan McKay and Kouta. Two of the best players to watch we've ever had in the navy blue.

Part of me doesn't care about the numbers.
Part of me does. This is why:
A year ago, one of the greatest players this club has ever had, Rod Ashman (Carlton TOTC) presented Ollie with his old number, 14.
A year later, Ollie trades it in for 4.

So what's the deal?
Does lineage matter, does the history of who came before you matter, or is it just a case of the closer a number is to 1, the better?

I don't really care which it is, but I think it's a bit rubbish to make a point of getting a legend of the club to present his old number to the new wearer of that number, and then a year on the new player drops it like it's hot. Especially odd given it's not like Ollie was saddled with 52, and had to hang out at the arse end of the locker room.

Obviously for a lot of players it's as simple as single-digit > double digit. No problem. If that's the case, don't bother dragging back Rod Ashman et al to present their numbers, if it doesn't mean anything.

Love Moir in 43 through. That's a magic number for us, with Swan McKay and Kouta. Two of the best players to watch we've ever had in the navy blue.
I agree 100%. Not a fan of jumper switching at all, even if its a "bad" number players should relish to opportunity to make it there own. After all, for most clubs 43 would be a number players would want to get out of but its special at Carlton because of the great men who've worn it and made it special.

I agree 100%. Not a fan of jumper switching at all, even if its a "bad" number players should relish to opportunity to make it there own. After all, for most clubs 43 would be a number players would want to get out of but its special at Carlton because of the great men who've worn it and made it special.
Plenty of examples in the past of players changing numbers. Bruce Doull wore number 4 for his first 3 years and then changed to number 11, supposedly because he didn't like being too close to Big John and all of the attention in the locker room.

That didn't work out too badly.

Plenty of examples in the past of players changing numbers. Bruce Doull wore number 4 for his first 3 years and then changed to number 11, supposedly because he didn't like being too close to Big John and all of the attention in the locker room.

That didn't work out too badly.
Thanks for that anecdote. I wondered why the change for Doull. He was one of my favourites when growing up, even when I had a lot less interest than now in AFL (then VFL). His presence on the field spoke volumes. For those who now carry the heritage in various numbers, wear them with pride, and make them your own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back