Prediction 2024 New Jumper Numbers - Post #52

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree 100%. Not a fan of jumper switching at all, even if its a "bad" number players should relish to opportunity to make it there own. After all, for most clubs 43 would be a number players would want to get out of but its special at Carlton because of the great men who've worn it and made it special.
I am furiously in favour of our new number allocations.
2 and 4 are storied numbers in our history. Ask the question, if not he, who?

We clearly have great faith in Cowan, and Ollie Hollands is going to be a star, more so than most on here seem to realise.
Who else was taking 2 or 4? Orazio, a three club player attempting to resurrect his career on minimum chips? Elijah who had a 3 year deal commuted to a single season on a virtual probation? One of the new kids? Late first to second round and rookies, may turn out great. Ashton had a fall from grace pre draft and has to double down in his dedication to realise his monumental potential. I love that he has taken the iconic #43, it is a great fit.

We have a very unique list dynamic at the club. We have ten core players who will be 28 plus at the start of 2024. They arguably have 1-5 years left in their careers, most arguably on the high side of that figure. (Martin if endures an injury punctuated year is the only one who is a realistic chance to depart at the end of next season)

We already have the nucleus of our “next generation” team. In five years, we have Walsh, Cerra, De Koning, Hollands(x2) Kemp, Cowan, Motlop, Durdin, Cottrell, Binns, Moir, with plenty of hope for Wilson, Lemmey, O’Keeffe, Carroll(x2), as well as Mirkov and Akuei in that bracket in need of big years. Add to the fact Curnow, McKay, Weitering, Kennedy, Silvagni, and other proven best 22 capable Owies, Cincotta, Boyd, Young, Marchbank, Cuningham and Fogarty are all sub 32 in that time.
Just quietly a pair of Camporeale boys followed two years later by (IMO) an even better projecting Cody Walker (and his little brother a little later) aren’t going to do us any harm.

We are on the cusp of a dynasty! I love the projected next generation of leaders assuming the prominent spots in the locker room.

I personally thought Hollands and Cowan suited 14 and 26.

Was quietly hoping 2 and 4 were retired for the year (in respect to Dow and O'Brien) before being handed over to the Camporeale twins.

Doesn't really matter though.
I agree re cowan, would’ve liked 2 to hang around, but I love that hollands has got 4. Simmo 2.0 deserves a single digit number

Hollands and Cowan wanting to get into the single digits is great. Shows commitment.

Reckon numbers don't matter that much. There is no correct number for a player type or position. Up to each player to make the number they get, their own. Earn their place on the locker and in the history of the club.

Thanks for that anecdote. I wondered why the change for Doull. He was one of my favourites when growing up, even when I had a lot less interest than now in AFL (then VFL). His presence on the field spoke volumes. For those who now carry the heritage in various numbers, wear them with pride, and make them your own.
Bruce was something to behold. Hopefully I'm not being controversial when I say this but he wasn't the best player of his time (e.g. Big Nick, Jezza) but he was the most special .

I agree 100%. Not a fan of jumper switching at all, even if its a "bad" number players should relish to opportunity to make it there own. After all, for most clubs 43 would be a number players would want to get out of but its special at Carlton because of the great men who've worn it and made it special.

I agree - the Hamill jumper change from “36” to “4” and then for him to jump ship still leaves a bad taste in my mouth - I still haven’t warmed to his return.

Last edited:
I agree - the Hamill jumper change from “36” to “4” and then for him to jump ship still leaves a bad taste in my mouth - I still haven’t warmed to his return.
That's not on Hamill. That's on Elliott no brains.

“It’s a very famous number with the Club,” Binns said on the No.25.
“This time last year when I first arrived, 'Fish' really took me under his wing and looked after me and made me feel really welcome.
“I thought [wearing No.25] would be a big honour with how famous the number is.”

For Cowan - a lifelong Blues supporter - the No.2 was something he coveted since childhood.
With the presence of Greg Williams as the Club's Football Director - and 'Diesel' being Cowan's dad’s favourite player - the vacancy of the No.2 was too enticing to pass up.

I'm always very slow with the off-season news and just cottoning on to the new numbers.
Sometimes it's nice to see a player change numbers (JSOS from 2 to 1), sometimes it's nice to see a player want to make a number their own, sometimes a number a player wants isn't available when they first get here, sometimes a player wants a number they carried through most of their junior career and sometimes a number just doesn't matter.
I love that the club gets past players back to present jumpers based on numbers. I don't care if a player then changes numbers at a later date, nor think that the presentation is lessened by the change.

Plenty of bad players have been in famous numbers. Plenty of good players have been in odd numbers. Plenty of players have changed numbers. Some good, some bad.
JSOS from 2 to 1.
Doull from 4 to 11.
Cripps from 16 to 9.
Hamill from 36 to 4.
Ratten 40 to 7.
Brock from 7 to 14.
Christou from 56 to 39.
Harmes from 54 to 37.
Mil Hannah from 47 to 13.
Among others.

Maybe there should be a limit on it after a certain number of games (50?)
Cowan to number 2 was certainly a surprise, but I liked seeing the reasons why.

On a side note, why hasn't the Blueseum been updated to show Simmo as the games record holder for 6? 1705651272411.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back