NFL 2024 - Off-Season Player/Coach Updates and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Vikings is one of the few places I could see McCarthy being good. Anywhere else and he would probably be a first round bust. Situation is king. Penix would be good there also but I think McCarthy's sneaky mobility is why the NFL likes him a bit more.

Vikings is one of the few places I could see McCarthy being good. Anywhere else and he would probably be a first round bust. Situation is king. Penix would be good there also but I think McCarthy's sneaky mobility is why the NFL likes him a bit more.
McCarthy also has a much quicker release/throwing motion and stronger arm. You are right that Penix is a much more traditional pocket passer which is fading out of the game.

Penix still has a strong arm but really needs to put effort into the throws because of his long motion. I could see him working well with Jefferson on deep balls if the Vikings O-line holds up.

McCarthy has a lot more mobility to run any potential under centre plays and roll outs the way Cousins did so well, so I'd say he still fits the offence better than Penix.

At what point does the failure to enforce the rules as written in order to enhance scoring undermine the integrity of the game? By admitting that the league wants more scoring, the league invites speculation that certain calls are made or not made in order to goose the scoreboard, not in order to get every call right.

Rubbish ..just conspiracy hocus pocus. The big concern with the NFL’s concern with low scoring is as they always do…they’ll change rules to once again punish defences. The dip in scoring was due to poor QB and changing rules because of that would be a concern.

McCarthy also has a much quicker release/throwing motion and stronger arm. You are right that Penix is a much more traditional pocket passer which is fading out of the game.

Penix still has a strong arm but really needs to put effort into the throws because of his long motion. I could see him working well with Jefferson on deep balls if the Vikings O-line holds up.

McCarthy has a lot more mobility to run any potential under centre plays and roll outs the way Cousins did so well, so I'd say he still fits the offence better than Penix.
Actually, Penix has the faster release

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCarthy went from a system QB in a run first offense to 4th off the board in record time
Bit of Brock Purdy about him, just PR machine running overtime.

I dont see anything with him.

Bit of Brock Purdy about him, just PR machine running overtime.

I dont see anything with him.
Of course none of us know what the team's evaluators think of any of them - the "draft scout" community out there doesn't have a good record.

You could argue there are three QBs at the top, because it doesn't look like any of the top three teams are keen to trade down at this point of the process. Only the Cardinals have shown an interest in trading down, and they're not looking for a QB.

The question will come down to whether there is a big evaluation difference between the 4th QB taken and the 5th and whether the difference is worth trading up for

hmmm - looks like the Patriots are open to trading down (no idea what the asking price is)

I mean I don't really see a counter point to putting it out there that you're 'open' to it.

Found out what people are willing to pay anyway regardless of how realistic it is that you'll move.

I mean I don't really see a counter point to putting it out there that you're 'open' to it.

Found out what people are willing to pay anyway regardless of how realistic it is that you'll move.
I wouldn't expect the Patriots to trade down until they are actually on the clock as there's no knowing who Washington is going to take - unless they don't like any of the QBs except Caleb Williams

Proof?

Just from watching them, Penix has more trouble hitting in/out breaking routes, defenders were breaking on the ball consistently compared to McCarthy who can throw out routes on a dime from the opposite hash in his sleep.
I don’t subscribe to pff, but I do listen to a reputable podcast from someone who does (Matthew Coller - Vikings) and he regularly quotes the pff stat that Penix has the quickest release.

I don’t subscribe to pff, but I do listen to a reputable podcast from someone who does (Matthew Coller - Vikings) and he regularly quotes the pff stat that Penix has the quickest release.
From what I can gather via google Penix 2.71 seconds, McCarty 3.16 seconds

From what I can gather via google Penix 2.71 seconds, McCarty 3.16 seconds
There’s no way either of them have a release time that long, would be longest of any QB in history.

That looks like time to throw (average time from when the ball is snapped till when they throw it)

Penix having a quick time to throw is well documented but not what I’m touching on

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back