Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a decent feeling about Adelaide round 2, and I actually rate the Crows.

The hype they're under right now in a two team town is pretty extraordinary, and it was similar last year and they started 0-2. That type of pressure is pretty unique.

One to the Giants who wouldn't hit their stride for another three months, and the other to the hapless Tigers.

We'll be a bit under the radar even if we beat the Saints up a bit. More of a return to the norm in terms of media coverage and hype prior to 2023.

It would be classic Cats. Under the radar going interstate, and just getting the job done.
I think the team to watch this year is the Swans. They carried Buddy for 2 years so basically had one less player on the field. Their young guns like Gulden are only going to improve.

Brisbane are good but Hipwood and Joe are too flaky.

I think the team to watch this year is the Swans. They carried Buddy for 2 years so basically had one less player on the field. Their young guns like Gulden are only going to improve.

Brisbane are good but Hipwood and Joe are too flaky.
Can't win when it matters.

Talent is there, but 3 awful GF performance as well as many finals debacles over the last decade or so has them out of it until proven otherwise IMO.

People gloss over it, but if a Victorian, SA, or WA club had their record in recent times, they'd never hear the end of it.

Anyone else having issues buying tickets for round 1 today? Website didn’t even give me the option just said sale happening.
Yeah it was playing up, hope that's because of so much traffic! I'd click on the game from both GFC, Ticketmaster and AFL website and just...nothing. Got there in the end.

Who's kicking all the goals, though? I agree their young guns are strong. But will they have enough potency up forward to really push the best sides? Buddy certainly wasn't shooting the lights out in recent times. But he did demand attention. And that attention will now turn to players who are yet to be proven as consistent contributors on the scoreboard at AFL level.

Just a hunch,
They haven’t mentioned being able to watch it on foxtel.
All they mention is Kayo
It's annoying how they do that and happens each year. I have Foxtel so don't want to buy kayo as well. Each the year the practice game articles will say "available on kayo" and you're left wondering if it will be on Foxtel too.

It seems ludicrous because I think Foxtel own kayo, so it wouldn't be costing them to play the game on Foxtel too (instead of some replay) but I swear there have been examples where games have only been on kayo and not Foxtel.

Talent is there, but 3 awful GF performance as well as many finals debacles over the last decade or so has them out of it until proven otherwise IMO.

People gloss over it, but if a Victorian, SA, or WA club had their record in recent times, they'd never hear the end of it.
They were tracking very similar to us in Finals until 2022.
Chris got the chocolates and all of a sudden our 2011+ performance looks so much better as does Chris’s finals record.
Now it’s Longmire who’s under performed and under pressure.🙄

It just says that they make finals consistently. Just like we did for a long time with a pretty unenviable record. Plus they've done it while continually rebuilding. Nothing to sniff at. Success is just around the corner for them I think.

It just says that they make finals consistently. Just like we did for a long time with a pretty unenviable record. Plus they've done it while continually rebuilding. Nothing to sniff at. Success is just around the corner for them I think.

Is this where I post the 1000+ word complaint about academies?

Locking this for now. Will reopen post the GD thread clsoing.

GO Catters

Does anyone have the lowdown on the VFL game.

There has been no update on it beside I think the scores from what I can see… Think we lost btw.

As I’m sure most of us would be wondering a few things.

• Any injuries
  • Did Mannagh continue playing
  • Who looked good
  • Who looked not so good
  • Who kicked goals
  • Anything
Hopefully the club puts some info out about it today.

I can’t blame them for Kayo not showing it… but It would be a tad disappointing if they don’t give us some update on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone have the lowdown on the VFL game.

There has been no update on it beside I think the scores from what I can see… Think we lost btw.

As I’m sure most of us would be wondering a few things.

• Any injuries
  • Did Mannagh continue playing
  • Who looked good
  • Who looked not so good
  • Who kicked goals
  • Anything
Hopefully the club puts some info out about it today.

I can’t blame them for Kayo not showing it… but It would be a tad disappointing if they don’t give us some update on it.

Can't find any info, anywhere. Carlton have done their own match report with a highlights video (link) hopefully GFC does one at some point today.

Mullin is super clean below his knees. He probably only got 5 or so touches which isn't that surprising for a small defender playing limited game time. But he was one of the only players to consistently one grab it with a few awkward balls in there.
I'm not seeing the negativity either.

His running patterns where a huge improvement on last year. Was okay with the ball on a day where nearly everybody was awful, and he looks like his game sense has improved.

He looks leaner too. The guy was always in ripping condition, but more of a Rugby/body builder physique than an AFL one, which is more akin to a marathon runner with a bit of muscle these days for midfielders/flankers.

It's only his second year really knowing our game, and if he keeps up this trajectory it's not going to be long until he's best 22.

MOC took until his 3rd year to be a locked in starter, and I'd say Mullin will be on a similar to path.

Like MOC though, he'll get some games here and there to keep that learning going.

Can't find any info, anywhere. Carlton have done their own match report with a highlights video (link) hopefully GFC does one at some point today.
It would be rare for us to be outperformed by another club in the “dispensing information to fans” department.

So I’m sure the club is eagerly working away on a detailed analysis of that VFL game as I type.

Can’t wait to see it.

Mullin is super clean below his knees. He probably only got 5 or so touches which isn't that surprising for a small defender playing limited game time. But he was one of the only players to consistently one grab it with a few awkward balls in there.
I'm not seeing the negativity either.

His running patterns where a huge improvement on last year. Was okay with the ball on a day where nearly everybody was awful, and he looks like his game sense has improved.

He looks leaner too. The guy was always in ripping condition, but more of a Rugby/body builder physique than an AFL one, which is more akin to a marathon runner with a bit of muscle these days for midfielders/flankers.

It's only his second year really knowing our game, and if he keeps up this trajectory it's not going to be long until he's best 22.

MOC took until his 3rd year to be a locked in starter, and I'd say Mullin will be on a similar to path.

Like MOC though, he'll get some games here and there to keep that learning going.

Couldn't agree more Gents.
He looks in ripper condition and covered the ground well ( in as much as TV allows you to observe)
Didn't get a lot of it but used it well when he did , exciting that he will back himself more once he gains more confidence.
Great observation on his ball handling - looked very assured and was a one grabber when a lot fumbled :thumbsu:
He's coming along nicely , far from a finished product but going in the right direction.

Time to put money on us making the eight.

It is the time of year for AFL predictions and they’re starting to fly in thick and fast.

Leading analyst David King has done the work this pre-season and has already come up with 6 locks for his Top 8.

But there is one team who some pundits believe will bounce back in 2024 that King has not entertained.

Geelong, who won the 2022 premiership in dominant fashion, fell away to finish 12th in 2023 and that’s where they’ll be again this year according to King.

Aside from his six locks, King named a block of seven clubs he’s completely unsure about.

The Cats did not feature in either grouping, indicating King might have them sitting below 13th on his predicted ladder in 2024.

“I don’t have them playing finals,” King said on SEN Breakfast.

“I’ve put a line (though them). They could finish in the 13, but my point is that I’ve still got to choose two of those seven to finish my eight.”

Co-host Kane Cornes asked: “So Geelong are not even in contention?”

King replied: “Not in my eyes."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back