Training 2024 Pre-Season discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interesting he says atm he sees himself purely on the wing and going into the midfield in the near future. I’m tipping a disgruntled little Maxxy this season being shifted to a half back role

Not a single mention of half back was telling imo.

He seems very happy which is good.

But clearly wants to push towards being a true mid over a half back though.

I think mistakes are magnified when watching the game live which gives a false impression.
I watched the replay over the weekend and players who I thought had average games like Clark and Tanner actually performed much better than the original impression.
Bowes and Gryan were the standouts whist Dempsey looked very much an AFL player - whether forward or up the ground.

Also reckon Neale is a solid performance V Dons away from being picked for round 1.
I think our set up will benefit with Neale as the 3rd tall - he took some good grabs but also competed well in the air and brought it to ground.
Jezza to work further up the ground with Neale/OH and Tom forward is pretty scary.
Looks like Neale could also give a chop out in the ruck when needed , tried that a bit V Blues and he looked OK.
I agree on this - but I can’t fit him in. Not even sure he plays against the Dons unless they rest some older players (which I don’t think they will unless not recovered - there is 2 weeks to recover before round 1).

Unless Neale is there for that ruck back up (ie. keep Blitz and SDK out of the ruck)…which then as you say adds versatility to have Neale forward and Jezza up the ground for some time?

But I think they go with 6 locks in forward line plus Dempsey and so Neale either becomes a utility (maybe even a sub but not sure he suits that?) but that would mean leaving one of the MF’s out which I am not sure will happen

Unless Neale is there for that ruck back up (ie. keep Blitz and SDK out of the ruck)…which then as you say adds versatility to have Neale forward and Jezza up the ground for some time?

It's a good discussion CHAWKTS isn't it?

They gave him a small run in the ruck so that back up role could be on their mind , maybe he and Blitz can share that?

I also think we like the idea of a tall marking forward - we tried it with Sav for a while but to no avail.
Neither Tom or Jezza are pack markers and Rohan/OH are great on the lead or can compete aerially but are shortish.
I think Neale as a forward will be tried at some stage with the other 2 talls - it forces the opposition to play a tall on him and perhaps makes Tom and Jezza more dangerous.
Once Neale finds his groove I can see him having 3-4 shots per game which could prove significant as he's such a great kick.
1.5 goals per game would be a great return ...............

It's a good discussion CHAWKTS isn't it?

They gave him a small run in the ruck so that back up role could be on their mind , maybe he and Blitz can share that?

I also think we like the idea of a tall marking forward - we tried it with Sav for a while but to no avail.
Neither Tom or Jezza are pack markers and Rohan/OH are great on the lead or can compete aerially but are shortish.
I think Neale as a forward will be tried at some stage with the other 2 talls - it forces the opposition to play a tall on him and perhaps makes Tom and Jezza more dangerous.
Once Neale finds his groove I can see him having 3-4 shots per game which could prove significant as he's such a great kick.
1.5 goals per game would be a great return ...............

Genuinely think we would have the most dangerous forward line in the comp by a country mile, if Neale and Dempsey live up to their potential. Neale could rotate through the ruck, and once Dempsey bulks up more, he could play that sort of Dusty mid/forward role, as he did very well in the midfield last year and I believe this is the long term plan for him.

Jez, Hawk, O. Henry, Stengle, Close, Miers, Dempsey, Rohan, S. Neale, with Danger pinch hitting; that is such a potent and versatile forward line. Melbourne could only dream of such weapons.

Would be interesting structurally too:

C: Miers, Danger
HF: O. Henry, Jez, S. Neale
F: Stengle, Hawk, Rohan
INT: Close, Dempsey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Holmes to the back line thing has really grown legs. All we know is he played half of a match simulation in the back line when all the main midfielders were rotated out of there for significant periods.

My guess is he spends less than 10% of his time in the back line once the season starts. It just looks like a move to help him learn a different part of the game and give guys like Clark and Knevitt time in the middle and on the wing in a meaningless practice match.

The Holmes to the back line thing has really grown legs. All we know is he played half of a match simulation in the back line when all the main midfielders were rotated out of there for significant periods.

My guess is he spends less than 10% of his time in the back line once the season starts. It just looks like a move to help him learn a different part of the game and give guys like Clark and Knevitt time in the middle and on the wing in a meaningless practice match.

James Rahilly disagrees with you.

James Rahilly disagrees with you.
I'll believe it when he's lining up there regularly in the actual season.

And Rahilly was directly asked about it. He didn't bring it up voluntarily. He's not going to answer "yeah we were just trying out some stuff and wanted to give Knevitt some time off the wing. Max will likely be back in the middle or on the wing once Mitch is out of the team" is he?

Last edited:
I think we can see based on those camera angles why we didn’t get a highlights package.
So looking forward to the VFL having access to a solid contingent of AFL players this season - very important to have a strong VFL contending and playing good quality footy.

Genuinely think we would have the most dangerous forward line in the comp by a country mile, if Neale and Dempsey live up to their potential. Neale could rotate through the ruck, and once Dempsey bulks up more, he could play that sort of Dusty mid/forward role, as he did very well in the midfield last year and I believe this is the long term plan for him.

Jez, Hawk, O. Henry, Stengle, Close, Miers, Dempsey, Rohan, S. Neale, with Danger pinch hitting; that is such a potent and versatile forward line. Melbourne could only dream of such weapons.

Would be interesting structurally too:

C: Miers, Danger
HF: O. Henry, Jez, S. Neale
F: Stengle, Hawk, Rohan
INT: Close, Dempsey
I agree about our forward line. Even without potential additions like Neale, Mannagh, Dempsey coming on, it's pretty potent. While our midfield is clearly the weak spot in our team, if just a few things go right there (Guthrie coming back and staying fit, Bowes or Bruhn stepping up, Clark starting to play a role), we look like the kind of team that could really challenge to me.

It lives!

The call out on Humphries gives me a bit of hope. Really positive and I think it's a position on the ground we're crying out for a player that meets the description of him we've been given

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back