Delisted #28: Alastair Lord - Not offered a contract for 2024 - 28/8

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been better I will give him that. Actually looks like he is not afraid of contact now. Would still say he is 10/90 to be any sort of player at this stage. It is a bit sad they did not get him on the ground in his only game.

He seems to have dropped right off. Had a a nice 2 to 3 week period earlier in the year.

For his position he just doesn’t get enough of it on a regular basis. Can’t see him going on next year.

Is starting to make a case for another year after seeing him use his pace with more confidence than ever before yesterday.

Something we lack he has and he still has so much more upside. I fully expect him to be delisted but is building a compelling case to even have a year on the rookie list.

Alastair Lord

17 disposals, three marks

This might be one of the best games I’ve seen from ‘Lordy’. His run and carry, his ability to stand up in the contest and assist in our ball movement were all really good. He’s improving in all the areas that we’ve been working on with him, and we were really happy to see it come together on the weekend.

This feels like Alex Morgan towards the end of 2017 I think it was.

Papers were all but stamped mid year but just started to build and build and build towards the back end of the year and present a decent enough case for winning another deal.

The difference is that Morgan was a year older and had already walked away from footy once and Lord is a year younger and has had his junior development crapped on by COVID, so he's far more likely to come on a little bit more rapidly a little bit later.

I think I'm demoting him to the rookie list and giving him another year.

This feels like Alex Morgan towards the end of 2017 I think it was.

Papers were all but stamped mid year but just started to build and build and build towards the back end of the year and present a decent enough case for winning another deal.

The difference is that Morgan was a year older and had already walked away from footy once and Lord is a year younger and has had his junior development crapped on by COVID, so he's far more likely to come on a little bit more rapidly a little bit later.

I think I'm demoting him to the rookie list and giving him another year.

This would be peak Essington

Is starting to make a case for another year after seeing him use his pace with more confidence than ever before yesterday.

Something we lack he has and he still has so much more upside. I fully expect him to be delisted but is building a compelling case to even have a year on the rookie list.
No thanks.

This would be peak Essington

I mean, I’d love to see us commit to something, anything really.

If we were to delist him I’d be looking for a small defender with wheels anyway, to me at least it makes far more sense than a couple of other moves that have been mooted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brayden Ham, except even smaller.

I doubt I was the only one, but I remember looking at him after we picked him and thinking "He won't make it".
You hope to be wrong, but ... well, thanks for coming Alastair.

3 2021 picks.

2 already gone.

Cheers Robert.

Counter point, remember when everyone thought we were going to take Blake Howes with our first round pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back