Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Has he played two games in succession even once? I can't recall but I believe not.

And when he is played, it's often been as sub. He is patently not a sub-suitable player, he is a death by 1000 cuts guy and they're not the types you want as sub.

kelvin_sheedy, I specifically remember you mentioning this when you were (rightly) carping Bomber's sub choices last year.

Has he played two games in succession even once? I can't recall but I believe not.

And when he is played, it's often been as sub. He is patently not a sub-suitable player, he is a death by 1000 cuts guy and they're not the types you want as sub.

kelvin_sheedy, I specifically remember you mentioning this when you were (rightly) carping Bomber's sub choices last year.

False. 7 games career games. His last 2 as sub.

If you have aspirations to be an AFL level midfielder you need to be able to go out there get the ball and bring others into the game. I've seen very little form Kav, even at VFL level. A 4th year player needs to show a little more.

He needs to start getting 25+ touches at VFL regularly. its a level he needs to dominate in to be considered AFL quality. He's coming from a long way back and its nothing to do with how he is being played.

Still looks under developed physically for mine. How will he go with another few kilos to his frame? Can his body handle it? We'll see how we travels in VFL this year.

Okay, I thought it might have been three or four. The point remains, he is absolutely not a suitable sub. He's not an impact type.

Melbourne & Adelaide last year.

Was stiff to be dropped after the Adelaide game. Didn't do much in the VFL last year to warrant selection though.

If you have aspirations to be an AFL level midfielder you need to be able to go out there get the ball and bring others into the game. I've seen very little form Kav, even at VFL level. A 4th year player needs to show a little more.

He needs to start getting 25+ touches at VFL regularly. its a level he needs to dominate in to be considered AFL quality. He's coming from a long way back and its nothing to do with how he is being played.

Still looks under developed physically for mine. How will he go with another few kilos to his frame? Can his body handle it? We'll see how we travels in VFL this year.
Look, I agree with all of that. I'm not entirely sure what's happened in the past three years with him because his pre-draft wraps were extremely good.

I just don't think we should give up hope yet.

Has an inside mids skill set and but an outside mids build and physicality.

Great that he's gotten himself super fit but he needs a bigger body to utilise his strength....vision in traffic. He also needs to understand that demonstrating vision in traffic is usually proceeded by winning the ball in traffic.

Needs to get in there and hunt the pill and the man with some intensity.

Tough to be a death by a thousand cuts type player when you're only managing to put yourself in a position to win the ball thirteen or fourteen times during a full match. I haven't given up on him, and I'll keep hoping for a huge form shift but he needs to get it together very soon. Just get out there, be yourself, back yourself.

Kav is probably the only Bomber supporter wanting to see us get suspended on March 31.. as he needs time playing in the midfield at AFL level to see if he can step it up and get some continuity. Unfortunately for him, he isnt suited to the sub role or flank positions and in our best team carrying him in our midfield will be a liability.

Only other solution is to give him the Melksham free-pass and just persist with gifting him games despite form.

Either way Im very torn about this kid and I dont want to make up my mind about him just yet.. please kill it in NAB 3 Kav!

I think he is one of those players who just doesn't seem to get playing off the ball at AFL level. It's hunt the ball or bust for Kav (which is not good unless you're a star and then the rules don't apply).

He drifts towards the contest in defensive positions, which is good, but then all of the sudden the contest moves and he gets stuck in no-mans land not close enough to impact the contest and too far away to defend against the opponent winning the ball.

You can see he is an absolute mess of confusion. He understands that he's not supposed to charge into a contest from the periphery but he can't seem to work out where to put himself to receive the ball or defend.

I have to say, though, I'm not sure what they see in O'Brien, a guy who could not buy a meaningful impact in congestion, that has him starting in the middle at so many center bounces. That's Kav's game, read a ruck contest and feed a team mate with a slick handball or kick a well weighted ball to the exact spot you'd want the ball to go if you're a forward anticipating the game.

If anything, it is Kav that should in O'Brien's position with O'Brien on the outer.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a big fan of Kav since he was drafted but now it has to be said... unfortunately I don't think he'll make it. I'll give him the whole season before writing him off, but I don't like the chances. Over to you to save your career Kav.

I hate playing the "who was drafted after our guy" game.
And really, there's * all between him and J Merrett, the only one's I'd say are clearly ahead are Yeo and Kerridge.

Much much much better. Going head to head with Nathan Jones, and I would say just about broke even. Don't think his DE is all that vindictive in how effective he was in getting the ball forward. This is the minimum we need to be seeing from Kav in the VFL, week in week out.

Last edited:
I'd say playing 3 consecutive matches in a midfield role showed tonight. Much improved. Sure he had some bad moments but his work ethic was much better and played a part in the win.

Was very good, for sure. Worked his way into it and playing on Jones will be an invaluable learning curve. Well done to the coaching staff for assigning him that role and persisting with it.

He proved me wrong tonight. Great perseverance and commitment to stick to Jones. Fix the DE and you'll do well lad. Surprised he finished with over 20 disposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back