Certified Legendary Thread 2nd Ashes Test England v Australia June 28-July 2 1930hrs @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say the Carey one was less in the spirit of cricket than the Bairstow one, there has been more outrage over the Carey one which says something
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

One was in his crease when he threw it, and he threw it the very moment he took it, only for the dumbass batsman to walk out of his crease while the ball was live and in-flight, the other was utterly sneaky and underhanded holding the ball for an eternity waiting for the poor, unsuspecting batter to lift his foot one inch.

Last edited:
Back in my day we said "wicket" or "wicket leave".
"Batsmans release" it was when we left - don't remember anything for going into the crease, didn't really need it I guess. In before-school/recess/lunchtime games, you were fair game at any time you were out of your crease - multiple balls and bowlers complicated matters further!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

One was in his crease when he threw it, and he threw it the very moment he took it, only for the dumbass batsman to walk out of his crease while the ball was live and in-flight, the other was utterly sneaky and underhanded holding the ball for an eternity waiting for the poor, unsuspecting batter to lift his foot one inch.
According to the laws the ball had settled in the keepers gloves with Bairstow.

Bollocks, it’s settled when the fielding side AND batters are all agreed that the play is over…Cary threw the stumps down immediately and Bairstow didn’t look…no sympathy, Poms looking like hypocritical, hysterical teenagers

2-nil
Think you misread his post. Seems to me he is saying the ball should have been called dead because Bairstow kept the ball settled in his gloves for about 2 seconds before stumping a player 'not trying to take advantage', whereas Carey released it immediately or s Jarrod Kimber timed it at .87 seconds.

Think you misread his post. Seems to me he is saying the ball should have been called dead because Bairstow kept the ball settled in his gloves for about 2 seconds before stumping a player 'not trying to take advantage', whereas Carey released it immediately or s Jarrod Kimber timed it at .87 seconds.
Fair point.

But clearly he didn't consider it dead as he was waiting for the stumping.

Let's face it the "players from both teams consider it dead" is a daft definition of dead ball. Asking for trouble.

I would say the Carey one was less in the spirit of cricket than the Bairstow one, there has been more outrage over the Carey one which says something

If you go by posts on bigfooty as the metric, at the time of each incident (Bairstow 2014, Carey 2023), you'll find more posts about Careys than Bairstow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bollocks, it just says you’re losing your shite as a nation…this is already ageing so badly for Poms…you’re a global laughing stock

Time for an Australian head of state

Last edited:
Bollocks, it just says you’re losing you’re shite as a nation…this is already ageing so badly for Poms…you’re a global laughing stock

Time for an Australian head of state

I'm not English, I'm a neutral impartial NZ supporter.

Are you talking about the Bairstow one from a county game no one gives a s**t about or something else?

Yeah the Bairstow one from a county game that no one gave a s**t about until the Carey one and Aussies dragged it up for another gotcha moment.

I'm not English, I'm a neutral impartial NZ supporter.

Yeah the Bairstow one from a county game that no one gave a s**t about until the Carey one and Aussies dragged it up for another gotcha moment.
The gotcha moment is the Prior one in 2007 that Bairstow copied and referenced in his interview. It was at Lords too in 2012 and the crowd loved it.

Batter in his crease
Not trying to gain an advantage
Waiting a very long time, 5 seconds longer than Carey

It was the 1st ball of the over and Morkel didn't mark the spot with his foot. The poms had also not been done for ball tampering 5-7 years earlier since Trescothick book hadn't come out yet. But nearly exactly the same except on the Piers bullshit scale.

Looks like it’s good for business though. They’ll be congratulating each other in private.

Does piers know the way to yorkshire btw?

"Batsmans release" it was when we left - don't remember anything for going into the crease, didn't really need it I guess. In before-school/recess/lunchtime games, you were fair game at any time you were out of your crease - multiple balls and bowlers complicated matters further!
I can't imagine why that fell out of favour

I noticed today in one of the newspapers the incident is already being referred to as "Jonnygate".

Much has been written about how Bairstow tried the same thing against Labuschagne earlier in the second Test, but his throw missed the stumps. When you look at the replays of Carey's throw you can see he is raising his arms before the ball breaks the wicket.

Back