1st Ashes Test England v Australia June 16-20 1930hrs @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

England from, Ben Stokes (c), James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, , Moeen Ali, Ollie Pope, Matthew Potts, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Josh Tongue, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.
Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Steve Smith (vc), Scott Boland, Alex Carey (wk), Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis (wk), Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Jimmy Peirson (wk), Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, David Warner.

Here we are ladies and gents, the Ashes. Have at it.

Can't wait. Our top 7 would seem to be sorted, unless they pull something strange and ditch Warner, don't think they'll do that right now.

Boland or Hazlewood would be the only probable spot in question, if Hazlewood is fit I'd say he gets back in and Boland continues as the Andy Bichel of this generation.

Team NSW's first up call will be to drop Scotty Boland.

We need the 'X-factor' of Starcy to bowl complete shite, arse a cheap wicket or two when a batsmen gets overconfident from feasting on all of his pies and tries to slog him and then go downhill skiing on some tailenders. Not actual good bowling.

Team NSW's first up call will be to drop Scotty Boland.

We need the 'X-factor' of Starcy to bowl complete shite, arse a cheap wicket or two when a batsmen gets overconfident from feasting on all of his pies and tries to slog him and then go downhill skiing on some tailenders. Not actual good bowling.
I wouldn't hate the idea of Cummins, Boland, Hazelwood in England but I worry about Hazelwood's fitness and as you say, Starc has an x factor, that could be a bit samey.

I wouldn't hate the idea of Cummins, Boland, Hazelwood in England but I worry about Hazelwood's fitness and as you say, Starc has an x factor, that could be a bit samey.
Do you need that Xfactor in England though, we don’t need Starcs rare wicket taking golden balls, you just need to keep it tight and on a length and let the duke, pitch & overhead conditions do the rest and you’ll take wickets. Starcs not capable of this unfortunately

Do you need that Xfactor in England though, we don’t need Starcs rare wicket taking golden balls, you just need to keep it tight and on a length and let the duke, pitch & overhead conditions do the rest and you’ll take wickets. Starcs not capable of this unfortunately

Careful. Starc has a personal propaganda department that would make Kim Jong Un blush and his indoctrinated followers do not stand for attacks on Dear Leader.

You best not question why inconsistent, often downright terrible bowling is good and why consistently good bowling is bad.

Whether you like him or not, 3.7 wickets per match @ 31 is a decent clip. Yes I know Hazlewood has a better record but there will be questions about his fitness. Personally I don't mind however the selectors go, it's a good problem to have when you have four pacemen genuinely in contention for three spots.

Careful. Starc has a personal propaganda department that would make Kim Jong Un blush and his indoctrinated followers do not stand for attacks on Dear Leader.

You best not question why inconsistent, often downright terrible bowling is good and why consistently good bowling is bad.

Yawn.

What does Warner need to average (or more broadly, achieve) to have us punters satisfied with his selection?

I'm not gonna * about - he needs an innings of 80+ in at least one of the first two tests.
He's not getting dropped, So its not even worth worrying about. But If he can produce a few 1st innings knocks like the WTC of 30-40 then that's good enough, Especially when we have Smith, Head and Marnus behind him.

And they would be crazy to drop Boland. Hazelwood either sits the first Test out to ensure his fitness or Starc sits it out.

Yep has to be Boland staying in, surely. He's proven he can deliver that magical spell with wicket-taking balls that even the best batsmen have no answer for. I personally think they will keep Hazlewood out for now and Starc will also be the first to go in the 2nd Test if everyone else is fit.

He's not getting dropped, So its not even worth worrying about. But If he can produce a few 1st innings knocks like the WTC of 30-40 then that's good enough, Especially when we have Smith, Head and Marnus behind him.
I should probably re-phrase in light of the lack of alternatives. What does he have to do to get a 'pass' from us fans this Ashes series?

My requirement for an early decent score (as opposed to later in the series) is so that we can got on the front foot in that regard mentally.

Whether you like him or not, 3.7 wickets per match @ 31 is a decent clip. Yes I know Hazlewood has a better record but there will be questions about his fitness. Personally I don't mind however the selectors go, it's a good problem to have when you have four pacemen genuinely in contention for three spots.

Yawn.

I apologize for the lack X-factor in my post that bored you and for questioning Starc.

I acknowledge that the greatest crime you can commit against Starcy and his followers is to actually watch him bowl rather than just looking at context-free career-spanning stats.

Just bow to the stat sheet - being careful to ignore his recent figures and his economy rate - and move on. Do not believe your lying eyes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep has to be Boland staying in, surely. He's proven he can deliver that magical spell with wicket-taking balls that even the best batsmen have no answer for. I personally think they will keep Hazlewood out for now and Starc will also be the first to go in the 2nd Test if everyone else is fit.
Boland is made for English wickets. Surely he’s nearly first picked

30+ is par for me. If he can get over 60 for the match I’d be very impressed and happy with his haul

What does Warner need to average (or more broadly, achieve) to have us punters satisfied with his selection?

I'm not gonna * about - he needs an innings of 80+ in at least one of the first two tests.
He's on a farewell tour. He's not getting dropped

Yeah announcing he’s retiring at the end of the summer was a crafty way to force the selectors hands

In a way, it was probably the best way as you and I and Dave and everyone else knows Marcus Harris, Cameron Bancroft etc aren't going to be beating down the door this series demanding selection.

Boland is made for English wickets. Surely he’s nearly first picked
Yeah it'll be a travesty if Boland is dropped. Hazlewood is a fabulous bowler, but his body keeps letting him down. The 5 bowlers we played against India kept a good batting line up to under 300 in both innings, so why make any changes?

I particularly think we need a bowler like Boland to frustrate an attacking batsman like Harry Brook. If Brook isn't scoring, he might do something silly and get himself out.

Last edited:

Surely no half century in the first 3-4 innings and you’ve got to have a good hard look. English batting conditions or not.

Back