2nds 2nd Preliminary Final - Werribee v Geelong, North Port Oval, 2:10PM Sunday 16 September

Remove this Banner Ad

Correct. They tend to run in waves at speed which leaves us vulnerable on the rebound at times, particularly since we don't get a heap of forward pressure from our forward talls.

Some of our on the run play was fantastic, just needed a bit better balance and decision making in the last quarter.

How good was the coast to coast goal.

Hard running from Wojak and Stringer saw them link up inside 50 and then again through the center seconds later before a huge kick to Brown.

How good was the coast to coast goal.

Hard running from Wojak and Stringer saw them link up inside 50 and then again through the center seconds later before a huge kick to Brown.

Yeah that was an awesome play.

Sully has played his maximum of 2 finals as 23rd man so would have to play ahead of McLean/ Gillies/ Bathie if he were to play.
Holden was freakish and will be amazing to see what his speed and nous can do on the Etihad surface.

Fantastic work as always Dave. Great work with the Josh and Big O marks too. Josh was too far away for me, and my view of Big O's was spoiled by a boundary umpire who was always just that one step behind :/

thought it was terrific coaching by Knights in the final 10 minutes...nothing seemed to be working and you could tell he did not want to move Mitch Brown away from the forward line as we needed that one steadying goal to effectively kill off the 5 goals-to-zip comeback, he pulls the trigger and moves Mitch to the backline and he immediately gets in on the action by marking a wayward forward entry.
Brown was able to impact the game for us and although he's not delivering up forward as many expect...not many players can play two key positions effectively in the same game.

Very impressed with Knights composure and some of his coaching decisions this year :thumbsu:
Helps to have the cattle at your disposal but the way he was treated at Essendon was appalling!
Glad he's showing them what he can achieve when given the support.
(Hird's record v Knights is almost identical, you won't hear one word about Hird's future though)

David , he is not the only one who needs it. Honestly , How Brown can be on our list for this long and still look like that in his arms bring serous questions to my mind about his self discipline and how much work he puts in. How could he expect to compete in the AFL with that lack of size I'll never know?

On Mclean. When it was really hitting the fan today , I like his actions. Eardly is little like Milburn will make you grunt with anger at silly action here or there but when he had to he back in and under or high ball. Gutsy player. Mclean is just a really smart player. Very good VFL player and who knows what could have been.

Mid season Bluey on KROCK got all over Mitch for exactly this. Not because he was hurt early on but because he just was not putting in the time to get back once recovered from his ailments and then once he was back full steam, to not be going harder on his size and strength.

He said he has had the time and resources to get it right and if he chose not to then he can bounce....

Probably harsh but a little more strength could go a long way for him. He has the talent clearly...

GO Catters

David , he is not the only one who needs it. Honestly , How Brown can be on our list for this long and still look like that in his arms bring serous questions to my mind about his self discipline and how much work he puts in. How could he expect to compete in the AFL with that lack of size I'll never know?

On Mclean. When it was really hitting the fan today , I like his actions. Eardly is little like Milburn will make you grunt with anger at silly action here or there but when he had to he back in and under or high ball. Gutsy player. Mclean is just a really smart player. Very good VFL player and who knows what could have been.

I see a little Rooke in the hardness and toughness at the ball. Getting one with a mix of Dash and Rooke in a rookie pick... big wraps but well earnt...

Could be seeing a Wells special in the making...Definitely gets another go next year...

GO Catters

Mid season Bluey on KROCK got all over Mitch for exactly this. Not because he was hurt early on but because he just was not putting in the time to get back once recovered from his ailments and then once he was back full steam, to not be going harder on his size and strength.

He said he has had the time and resources to get it right and if he chose not to then he can bounce....

Probably harsh but a little more strength could go a long way for him. He has the talent clearly...

GO Catters

And Bluey knows this for sure?

He made the point about not wanting to rag on a younger player but that it was a theme heard from several different of his sources at the club...

He seems pretty much in the players corner most of the time so it was different to hear this from him..

Go Catters

I see a little Rooke in the hardness and toughness at the ball. Getting one with a mix of Dash and Rooke in a rookie pick... big wraps but well earnt...

Could be seeing a Wells special in the making...Definitely gets another go next year...

GO Catters

Yep really like the look of Eardley has all the Geelong traits when it his turn he has no fear. Its funny when he spoke to Phil Cleary after the game he sounds like a shy kid as well. Very similar to Maxy Rooke. Im thinking he could turn out a beauty. Will keep my eye on him

RE Brown, it is becoming a little frustrating given that he doesnt seem as desperate around the contest as others....but lets not forget that is probably just his style and we have the penchant for simply kicking long into forward l

I think with Brown the thing to remember is clubs these days don't want players to put on 5kg overnight; they've learned the hard way players tend to lose mobility and go backwards. Without having inside knowledge, they might look at something like 2-3kgs per year, allowing the player to keep their agility, these days speed and reflexes are everything no matter how big they are.

What is encouraging is Brown does have terrific vision when he gets the ball, his use seemed so much more intelligent than others, and he reads the play great. But needs to get stronger, and start getting 15-20 touches a game instead of 5-10. He's still got time though.

RE Brown, it is becoming a little frustrating given that he doesnt seem as desperate around the contest as others....but lets not forget that is probably just his style and we have the penchant for simply kicking long into forward l

I have my queries about Mitch's endeavour sometimes but I also remember a certain laconic lanky red head # 26 running around for us for a while that was VERY similar to Mitch.. (cough Barry Stoneham.. cough..). He always seemed at 3/4 pace but made it look easy...

If he can get a full preseason and perhaps add a little mass there is still plenty of hope...

Go Catters

I think with Brown the thing to remember is clubs these days don't want players to put on 5kg overnight; they've learned the hard way players tend to lose mobility and go backwards. Without having inside knowledge, they might look at something like 2-3kgs per year, allowing the player to keep their agility, these days speed and reflexes are everything no matter how big they are.

What is encouraging is Brown does have terrific vision when he gets the ball, his use seemed so much more intelligent than others, and he reads the play great. But needs to get stronger, and start getting 15-20 touches a game instead of 5-10. He's still got time though.
Looks to me as though he's already winning a lot of the footy for a tall man.
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...=192158370&client=1-118-10583-204557-16771073

Regarding his weight, I'd imagine they'd be mega-careful with him in the gym given his history of shoulder problems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_i...=192158370&client=1-118-10583-204557-16771073

awesome!
Thanks for the stats mate :thumbsu:

34 goals and has played half of those matches as a defender this year, averages 11 disposals and 6 marks.
Considering this year is his first uninterrupted season for injuries, those stats prove he's better than some give him credit for.
Glad the club have patience in him as they know we all will be rewarded in another 18 months time

awesome!
Thanks for the stats mate :thumbsu:

34 goals and has played half of those matches as a defender this year, averages 11 disposals and 6 marks.
Considering this year is his first uninterrupted season for injuries, those stats prove he's better than some give him credit for.
Glad the club have patience in him as they know we all will be rewarded in another 18 months time
Think you may have read the stats wrong, you need to sum the totals from KE, KIE, HE and HIE (Kicks/Handballs, Effective/Ineffective). By my count he's only gone below 11 disposals once.

disposals for a key forward don't worry me too much though ;)
as long as he's taking 5 or so marks and kicking a couple of goals then he's doing the job.
Haven't seen all our games this season but he has spent a good deal in defense

I think there is another aspect to Brown that is interesting - he played most of his junior career as a midfielder until he had a 15cm+ growth spurt.
This meant that he became KP height , with a skinny body, late in his career without a grounding in that role as a kid.
I really hope he makes it as I agree with you about the skills and decision making and would add that he has great speed and endurance for his size.
Another 1-2 pre-seasons and good run injury free could be very exciting for Mitch.

To all those pondering Mitch Brown's size and apparent lack of development in his physique - Dustin Fletcher of today looks LITTLE DIFFERENT to the skinny schoolkid who first turned up at Windy Hill in 1993. Some body types just aren't 'muscle accumulators'. Not every body is a Josh Hunt.

By the way, anyone see Joshy stylin' it in his ripped jeans and leather jacket? Loves his metal too, from what I've heard.

To all those pondering Mitch Brown's size and apparent lack of development in his physique - Dustin Fletcher of today looks LITTLE DIFFERENT to the skinny schoolkid who first turned up at Windy Hill in 1993. Some body types just aren't 'muscle accumulators'. Not every body is a Josh Hunt.

Andrew 'Chest' Mackie doesn't look much bigger than when he arrived 10 or so years ago,as shown in picture 5 in this link

http://tools.geelongadvertiser.com...._popup_preview.php?category_id=27175&offset=4

Regarding his weight, I'd imagine they'd be mega-careful with him in the gym given his history of shoulder problems.

Having a close look at those stats tells me that he has had a fantastic season in the VFL. I just think he has looked very tired of late after his first full season of senior footy. With the way the ball comes into the forward line he gets crunched in nearly every contest. He looks totally knackered at this point. Horlin-Smith also looks very tired after a hard year of contested footy.

0 games in 2009 (Broken leg), 2010 - 6 games (Shoulder Reco No.1), 2011 - 10 games (Shoulder Reco No.2), 2012 - 20 games.

I can't think of a player that has had such an interupted entry into AFL football. Big guys take time to develop anyway and he is probably a year or 2 behind in development.

Brown started the season brilliantly booting 20 goals in the first 4 games including bags of 9 & 5. He had a purple patch in the middle of the season when he went to CHB. He was in the best in all of the 5 games he played there and I think he was emergency in the seniors throughout that period as well. His stats are awesome in that time for a big guy. I can see why the club wants to play him in the backline next season.

I seriously think the wear & tear of the long season has got him. From memory I think he played in all of the NAB Cup matches as well. We were quick to right off Lonners & again Hawk last year so lets be patient and hopefully he can become the player we hoped for when we drafted him.

i wouldn't mind a 15cm growth spurt, i would be almost tall enough to get the cookies off the top shelf....

anyway still waiting for this game to appear on iview, i am keen to watch the first 2 and a 1/2 quarters to see how the kids are going.

I'll watch the replay back this week and report from that. I'm finding it harder to comment on the game due to my increased work with the camera at these grounds. Hopefully by tomorrow when the stats go up, I'll have a write up with the DT points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back