2nd Test Australia v Pakistan Dec 26--30 1000hrs @ the MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

RE this game, I'm getting MCG 2011/12 vibes.

It's a sporting wicket which rewards good bowling, but you can get runs if you're willing to grind (Smith/Jamal) or chance your arm (Marsh/Masood/Rizwan/Shafique).

Also, we score in the low 300's, eke out a 50-60 run lead and find ourselves in real trouble (being 4/SFA in the second innings), before the #6 (Hussey/Marsh) leads a rearguard.

I reckon we have enough already, but I'd really like 60 more runs.

:)

It’s Sydney. It rains. Place sucks.
Yep, pisses down every year, the pitch is often dog s**t, and yet they still get gifted one of the prime time slots of the summer every year.

Meanwhile Adelaide randomly gets the day night test taken away despite it being a huge success every year.

Explain that for me.

I think people just get frustrated with the sheer difference in quality between his best and his worst.

And those people are idiots.

He is 6 foot 6.

He bowls 140+ consistently.

Produces late swing with new and old ball and can seam it around too.

Name me one bowler in history who could do all that and was also highly consistent?

Yep, pisses down every year, the pitch is often dog s**t, and yet they still get gifted one of the prime time slots of the summer every year.

Meanwhile Adelaide randomly gets the day night test taken away despite it being a huge success every year.

Explain that for me.
$$$

He is 6 foot 6.

Name me one bowler in history who could do all that and was also highly consistent?
I think he'd still spray it around if he were 10kmph slower

It's his action

But he has been incredibly important to our bowling attack

338 Test wickets @ 27.70, SR: 48.94
236 ODI wickets @ 22.97, SR: 26.44

Anyone who doesn’t rate Starc is a ******* idiot. It’s that simple.

He has passed Lee and Johnson for me.

I think 4-5 years ago he went through a bad patch and probably deserved to get dropped but his last 3-4 years have been top quality.

Last edited:
I have to say, I've always rated Cummins extremely highly as a quick bowler but I feel he excelled himself in this Test. Lillee-like performance.

He is now treading amongst the all time greats.

I know it would blasphemy to even mention anyone was better than Lille but he is getting very close.

I think he'd still spray it around if he were 10kmph slower

It's his action
His action is what creates that’s speed though.

Hazlewood has a simple and highly repeatable action which is why he’s so consistent. But because of that his speed will always be limited.

Glenn McGrath was the same.

It’s basically impossible to have an action that produces elite consistency and elite speed. You get one or the other generally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was he injured for the first test?
I think most Australians assumed this but no.

I never want to be one of those people who assumes everyone is the same as the last time they played us, but I was certainly surprised to see he wasn’t in their best XI, and this test certainly hasn’t changed my mind on that.

His action is what creates that’s speed though.

Hazlewood has a simple and highly repeatable action which is why he’s so consistent. But because of that his speed will always be limited.

Glenn McGrath was the same.

It’s basically impossible to have an action that produces elite consistency and elite speed. You get one or the other generally.

There have been a few but they’re probably the genetic freaks like Marshall and Holding and even Marshall later in his career lost it and relied on his guile

Donald probably had a bit of both for a fair while. But I see your point: Starc’s action especially with his run up and height is tailor made for speed above all else isn’t it?

He is 6 foot 6.

Wasim Akram.

But Starc has a significantly better strike rate, 48 to 56.

I think people just get frustrated with the sheer difference in quality between his best and his worst.
You need a wildcard strike bowler, they get the wickets others can’t, but will also go for runs. Most good teams have one.

Explain that for me.
Can't explain it. Still gobsmacked. Adelaide oval crowds are the only ones that show up yet the wet dog turd that is the Sydney test get special treatment. I thought there was enough momentum to potentially move the NY test to Adelaide. Give Sydney a dead rubber or alternate with Hobart

Wasim Akram.

But Starc has a significantly better strike rate, 48 to 56.
There have been a few but they’re probably the genetic freaks like Marshall and Holding and even Marshall later in his career lost it and relied on his guile

Donald probably had a bit of both for a fair while. But I see your point: Starc’s action especially with his run up and height is tailor made for speed above all else isn’t it?

Fair, so there were some.

However when you look at it: Donald is South Africa’s best ever bowler, as is Wasim, Marshall is often spoke about as the greatest of the Windies quicks.

I think we can forgive Mitch for not quite reaching their level.

Can't explain it. Still gobsmacked. Adelaide oval crowds are the only ones that show up yet the wet dog turd that is the Sydney test get special treatment. I thought there was enough momentum to potentially move the NY test to Adelaide. Give Sydney a dead rubber or alternate with Hobart
I don’t even necessarily want the new years test, it’d be cool, but I’m often away or doing other things at that time.

I just don’t understand why the day/night was taken off of us, when we were the ones that made it the event that it is. As it stands the Windies tests might be ordinary, but the night session at least creates some great atmosphere and turns it into a good day/night out.
Steyn > Donald.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself

Alright, but you get my point.

I don’t even necessarily want the new years test, it’d be cool, but I’m often away or doing other things at that time.

I just don’t understand why the day/night was taken off of us, when we were the ones that made it the event that it is. As it stands the Windies tests might be ordinary, but the night session at least creates some great atmosphere and turns it into a good day/night out.

Alright, but you get my point.

Saca asked for this year's test to be day only one.

This article goes into detail about deals saca offered and which deal was accepted but reality is saca were ones wanting to remove several day night tests over the next eight years as they felt their members preferred earlier finish time I personally think day night game was perfect in sa but it was their call not ca.

Last edited:
Back