Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think 4 Games back at VFL level is enough - some players don't even come back through the VFL from Injury if there good enough... I don't think Gumby in this circumstance will be different...

Take the GUMBLE

It's silly NOT to utilize him tbh.

We have a forward, ready to go and take an opportunity as a result of an injury (which is the norm across all teams) - players even younger than him, who haven't even proved much, have been debuting in a Collingwood side as a result of injuries, and yet we're somehow different?

For once it's not him losing his spot as a result of his own injury, it's the other way around.

It seems to be that most just want him to keep resting out years so that we can have him playing SOME TIME in the future... what's the point. Some even think he might be gone if there's an injury. We have NOTHING to lose by letting him play now - you might as well just give him the opportunity he deserves. It's not as if he hasn't been kicking goals in a weekly succession in the VFL anyway, he's done that on top of completely healing from surgery. His form has been fine to come in and make something of what we can NOW, and not some future that we aren't even sure of.

It's like saving your suit for the get together that never comes.

I agree with a lot of this.

Would still like to see a more consistent performance in the VFL rather than the glimpses I have seen.

If he doesn't come in this weekend (even though I feel that he is better suited against St Kilda than Port) - then you definitely have to give him a chance against Port if he plays out another whole game in the VFL.

But Crameri's injury and suspension has provided an early exception tbh.

Either he comes in or TBell comes in with Ryder playing permanently forward. TBell and Hille should go well against what St Kilda and Port have to dish up. I would really like to play Gumby now, as well as Kav, it seems like a great time to give them a run which will be great for their devolpment, add potential depth to the list come finals and rest current best 22 players now to have their bodies cherry ripe for the hard run into the finals, and the finals themselves.

However, I don't think "three rucks" will hurt us in the next fortnight if Ryder is playing solely as a forward and TBell plays as number 1 ruck with Hille playing forward/2nd ruck. Considering Gumby had a pretty serious concussion just a fortnight ago he probably has only been training hard for the last week and it wouldn't be fair to bring him in under those conditions. If Essendon can win the next 4 games then, after the expected loss in Adelaide following those games, it might be worth giving players like Gumby, Kav, Browne, Ross and Davis runs against North, Carlton and Richmond.

If he doesn't come in this weekend (even though I feel that he is better suited against St Kilda than Port) - then you definitely have to give him a chance against Port if he plays out another whole game in the VFL.

But Crameri's injury and suspension has provided an early exception tbh.

I'd prefer the Port game. 1 more week in the goos then unleash, especially if he's given the carrot by Hirdy telling him he's being seriously considered for selection.

Either he comes in or TBell comes in with Ryder playing permanently forward. TBell and Hille should go well against what St Kilda and Port have to dish up. I would really like to play Gumby now, as well as Kav, it seems like a great time to give them a run which will be great for their devolpment, add potential depth to the list come finals and rest current best 22 players now to have their bodies cherry ripe for the hard run into the finals, and the finals themselves.

However, I don't think "three rucks" will hurt us in the next fortnight if Ryder is playing solely as a forward and TBell plays as number 1 ruck with Hille playing forward/2nd ruck. Considering Gumby had a pretty serious concussion just a fortnight ago he probably has only been training hard for the last week and it wouldn't be fair to bring him in under those conditions. If Essendon can win the next 4 games then, after the expected loss in Adelaide following those games, it might be worth giving players like Gumby, Kav, Browne, Ross and Davis runs against North, Carlton and Richmond.

Agree with this for the most part. Would be very exciting to see Gumby but our selection has been pretty conservative all year so am expecting either Bellchambers to come in or us to play a bit smaller up forward with Davey coming in.

Agree with this for the most part. Would be very exciting to see Gumby but our selection has been pretty conservative all year so am expecting either Bellchambers to come in or us to play a bit smaller up forward with Davey coming in.

That could work. A forward line of Hurley, resting ruck, Reimers, Dell'Olio, Davey and a resting mid would make a good forward line. Heaps of pace. Also I think the extra mid up forward can be either Stanton or Watson. The one that should go forward is the one who is recieving a heavy tag. They might as well play forward and force the tagger to play as a defender.

Not only did he get double teamed for Bendigo, ball movement is very stagnant with poorer skill levels makes knowing when and where to move that much harder.

Yeah but good players really should dominate a bit more. That VFL game where he had a good first qtr was mainly due to a very favourable 1st qtr match up. Was fairly quiet when they changed opponents. Lachie Hansen always looks far more dangerous in VFL. Gumbleton has never dominated a VFL game for long periods. Until he does, we shouldn't pick him.

When Hurley was injured we looked more unpredictable up forward and it worked ok, obviously never as good as having Hurley in the side. Sure we can do just as well with Crameri out.

draft06-Scott-Gumbleton.jpg

gumbleton-1.jpg

00002713-image.jpg

Note the arms.......

220132-scott-gumbleton-at-training.jpg

AFL+Rd+3+Blues+v+Bombers+GV5Vn4AzcIrl.jpg

2010rd05-23.jpg

Scott-Gumbleton-blog.jpg

1gumbleton424-424x283.jpg

Essendon+Bombers+Training+Session+HIDF3aDGHHkl.jpg

Still noting the arms?

274538-scott-gumbleton.jpg

20120522_Scott_Gumbleton_article-l.jpg

MA BOY........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He will come good if his back holds up.

The only :thumbsu: I can offer, is that meeting him in person recently he is HUGE. And for context I've met him a couple times. He is much bigger around the torso - stronger.

My only regret is I might have given Hurls a very slight cold shoulder in my man love for the Gumbletron; but hey, I know he'll be around for five years - I can make up for it. :D

The only :thumbsu: I can offer, is that meeting him in person recently he is HUGE. And for context I've met him a couple times. He is much bigger around the torso - stronger.

My only regret is I might have given Hurls a very slight cold shoulder in my man love for the Gumbletron; but hey, I know he'll be around for five years - I can make up for it. :D
Repost that pic of stans dad 'post good times', pretty sure it was you and think it may have been deleted.

Repost that pic of stans dad 'post good times', pretty sure it was you and think it may have been deleted.

It was.... but now I'm concerned it might have been deleted for a reason and don't want my ass carded....... :D

It was.... but now I'm concerned it might have been deleted for a reason and don't want my arse carded....... :D
GAWD i love you, chuck in a PM or w/e this forum has, was semi 'doing that' from laughter when i saw it myself.
Just remember, keep it secret, keep it safe.

Wasn't it a bit awkward with you staring at his chest, and Gumby saying "hey, Jade, I'm up here!" :p

The awkward part was Hurls giving me the million dollar smile as I waltzed up to Gumby signing a footy........:oops:

I do love ya Hurls; I really do. :)

GAWD i love you, chuck in a PM or w/e this forum has, was semi 'doing that' from laughter when i saw it myself.
Just remember, keep it secret, keep it safe.

I'm a married man mate.....

Randy_Marsh_covered_in_ectoplasm.jpg

If Essendon can win the next 4 games then, after the expected loss in Adelaide following those games, it might be worth giving players like Gumby, Kav, Browne, Ross and Davis runs against North, Carlton and Richmond.
By which point Crameri is back and you can't add another tall without messing up a working structure.

If he is indeed fit and recovered from the head knock I think you have to play him, he's not on the list to play in the magoos forever.
Picture this, our mids move the ball like they did against the dogs, with jetta and reimers and the like pinpointing gumby on the lead inside 50. Imagine the confidence he gains from that. Add to that the fact that he probably plays on the saints 3rd best key back (don't even know who that is currently) and you pretty much get the perfect storm when it comes to his selection.

If not now, when?

If he is indeed fit and recovered from the head knock I think you have to play him, he's not on the list to play in the magoos forever.
Picture this, our mids move the ball like they did against the dogs, with jetta and reimers and the like pinpointing gumby on the lead inside 50. Imagine the confidence he gains from that. Add to that the fact that he probably plays on the saints 3rd best key back (don't even know who that is currently) and you pretty much get the perfect storm when it comes to his selection.

If not now, when?

Just to offer a very slight correction; if he plays, IF he plays, I don't think any coach is silly enough to let a 200cm CHF run free - he'll take the second defender, even behind Ryder.

Sweet..... 5+ to Ryder :D

Just to offer a very slight correction; if he plays, IF he plays, I don't think any coach is silly enough to let a 200cm CHF run free - he'll take the second defender, even behind Ryder.

Sweet..... 5+ to Ryder :D

Quite right. You would be stupid to not pay him any respect. I was thinking more along the lines of him playing on a fisher or a Gilbert, who with all due respect are mostly rubbish when having to actually play on a man, let alone a gumbletrain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back