Traded #3: Scott Gumbleton - Traded to Fremantle for pick 55

Remove this Banner Ad

And we were complaining about pick 55... However he'll probably get himself right for finals and kick 6 on Hurley to knock us out..

I did hear a whisper a while back that he has permanent damage to his back, so I fear that his career in the west may peter out without a lot of fanfare.

How he passed a medical is beyond me. 35 games out of a possible 155+ games, in a 7 year 'career' with over 110 games missed purely do to injury.. buyer beware really.

My guess is that Gumby will play under 10 games this year and will retire/be delisted at the end of the season.

Nice guy with some smarts, I think he will land on his feet and hopefully enjoy life post footy(rehab)

I'll always wonder whether Gumbleton made the right choice requesting a trade. Essendon stuck by him for a long time and it seemed he was (very slowly) starting to get his body right at Essendon. After his game last year against the Saints when he kicked 4, I really thought he was going to make it.

The way our forward line is functioning at the moment, he'd probably be getting a game if fit. Who knows whether he would have got injured if he'd stayed at Essendon rather then going to Fremantle. He probably would have still injured himself, but surely Essendon's medical staff are better able to help him knowing his history.

It looks like his career is basically done, but it's hard not to think about what could've been. Where would Essendon be now if he'd never got injured in the first place, and if he stayed at Essendon was there a chance of him coming good late.

Chappy and having Winders back makes up for it.

It's all worked out best for us in the long run.

I'll always wonder whether Gumbleton made the right choice requesting a trade. Essendon stuck by him for a long time and it seemed he was (very slowly) starting to get his body right at Essendon. After his game last year against the Saints when he kicked 4, I really thought he was going to make it.

The way our forward line is functioning at the moment, he'd probably be getting a game if fit. Who knows whether he would have got injured if he'd stayed at Essendon rather then going to Fremantle. He probably would have still injured himself, but surely Essendon's medical staff are better able to help him knowing his history.

It looks like his career is basically done, but it's hard not to think about what could've been. Where would Essendon be now if he'd never got injured in the first place, and if he stayed at Essendon was there a chance of him coming good late.
freo does have an ageing list, and players like pavlich wont be around much longer. weather he stayed at essendon or freo there is a spot for him in bother team forwards lines. admittedly id of prefer d him to stay at essendon

It looks like his career is basically done
, but it's hard not to think about what could've been. Where would Essendon be now if he'd never got injured in the first place, and if he stayed at Essendon was there a chance of him coming good late.
o_O

Hes making a return via WAFL either this week or next week. If fit and available, there is definitely a spot in the team for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I think it's nearly the end of the line for Gumby.

Don't think he made the wrong choice in moving to Fremantle, but Apeness and Taberner are probably already ahead of him.

No way either Apeness of Taberner are 'better' than Gumby.

Possibly more durable - but they shouldn't be getting a gig ahead of him.

Gumby could be a story for the ages. Play less than a handful of games for the season, win a premiership then retire?
AOh4GLI.gif

Either Gumby did a lot of bad things in his childhood and this is his penance, or he's owed the greatest express ride of all time on the good karma train post football.

******* hell. Poor bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back