Past #42: Scott McMahon - club won't renew contract (29/9) & Loose retires (13/10) - thanks Loose

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly outdated, but just saw on Heath's twitter that Loose won the 2nd group of that yo-yo test. It's pretty clear that he's serious about making a Spud-like renaissance, and I certainly hope that he makes it.

I just can't see a spot for him unless Ats and Luke move upfield.

Yeah, but unless Loose has gained some pace, he'll get burnt by the gun small forwards.

Wright wont though.

Next year positions in the backline are going to be more competitive than ever.

Pick three of:
Thompson, grima, tippett, Tarrant, Hansen, Firrito or McMahon.

While Firrito was good this year I think next year Id rather have an extra big man like Grima or Tippett. I don't think we will be able to play Thompson, Grima/Tippett, Hansen and Firrito/McMahon in the same side. McMahon I believe is best suited to the third tall types. He is too slow for the speedy small forwards which is why I have him in this category.

Pick four of (assuming one will get a spot on the bench):
Wright, Atley, McDonald, McMillan, Jacobs, Mullett

Thompson, Grima, Hansen

Wright, Atley, McDonald, Macmillan

If one of the bottom four get Injured or one makes a permenant move to the midfield/wing I'm tipping jacobs, Mullett or Firrito are going to get more of a crack than McMahon. At this stage based on his output over the last two years and the progression of players who he is competing against I just can't see him getting back into the best 22. He provides excellent depth but I don't think he is a best 22 half back in a top 4 side.

Wright wont though.

Next year positions in the backline are going to be more competitive than ever.

Pick three of:
Thompson, grima, tippett, Tarrant, Hansen, Firrito or McMahon.

While Firrito was good this year I think next year Id rather have an extra big man like Grima or Tippett. I don't think we will be able to play Thompson, Grima/Tippett, Hansen and Firrito/McMahon in the same side. McMahon I believe is best suited to the third tall types. He is too slow for the speedy small forwards which is why I have him in this category.

Pick four of (assuming one will get a spot on the bench):
Wright, Atley, McDonald, McMillan, Jacobs, Mullett

If he's fit and in form Spud brings too much versatility - can play tall/small, 3rd up to kill contests, rebound - to not be in the side.

I wonder if McMahon's improved condition will allow him to play on quicker opponents than we think he can handle. He's very footy smart and great reader of the play that can compensate somewhat for leg speed.

I think a svelte MacMahon is perfect for the LeCras' of the league. Small-medium forwards, as he's probably a wee bit more footy smart than guys like Atley, and it would free up our runners to run.

If he's fit and in form Spud brings too much versatility - can play tall/small, 3rd up to kill contests, rebound - to not be in the side.

I wonder if McMahon's improved condition will allow him to play on quicker opponents than we think he can handle. He's very footy smart and great reader of the play that can compensate somewhat for leg speed.
Good point KC; it's surprised me no-one has mentioned this yet. His weight loss will help with endurance and hopefully speed too. If he gets to more contests that's got to help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent to see he is in top shape.

Now he back to appropriate fitness/weight I am hopeful he can provide some handy depth and justify why he is still on the list. Good player at his best, which is a long time ago.

Last edited:
Excellent to see he is in top shape.

Not sure why not being able to train means you still eat a cow a day, as a very strict diet would have meant he might not be fit no, but he would still be at appropriate skin fold levels.....but that's in the past.

Now he back to appropriate fitness I am hopeful he can provide some handy depth and justify why he is still on the list. Very handy player at his best, which is a long time ago.

Did you miss or just choose to ignore that the medication he was taking led to weight gain - it was nothing to do with his diet. To save you going back a few pages:

He had a medical condition.

Steroids prescribed for his condition.

Yep and the steroid treatment he was on would balloon Joe Average out to John Candy proportions (when he was alive that is).

Welcome back Loose.

I'm very aware that cortisone and similar steroid treatment does make people put on weight (and certainly lead to water retention).

Combined with his injuries he was also not able to train which was another factor.

Either way it clearly wasn't managed or diet wasn't changed as it is possible to maintain appropriate weight despite the medication.

I'm very aware that cortisone and similar steroid treatment does make people put on weight (and certainly lead to water retention).
Oh! FFS! That explains a lot. Must be cortisone in my maccas, fish and chips, and beer.

Combined with his injuries he was also not able to train which was another factor.

Either way it clearly wasn't managed or diet wasn't changed as it is possible to maintain appropriate weight despite the medication.
I was on it for 6 months and it made me eat embarrassingly huge portions. Maybe McMahon can adopt Mark Roberts' old nickname... 'The Fridge'. :D

Which is quite different from alleging he ate a cow a day ...

Which is quite different from alleging he ate a cow a day ...

Yep fair point. It wasn't meant to be overly serious.

I was on it for 6 months and it made me eat embarrassingly huge portions. Maybe McMahon can adopt Mark Roberts' old nickname... 'The Fridge'. :D

So have I. Twice. First time I didn't adjust my eating and put on weight very quickly (cravings didn't help). Second time ate much better food and worked out, and my weight stayed the same, just carried extra water due to retention so looked a bit "puffy".

So have I. Twice. First time I didn't adjust my eating and put on weight very quickly (cravings didn't help). Second time ate much better food and worked out, and my weight stayed the same, just carried extra water due to retention so looked a bit "puffy".

Did you wear a 'puffy shirt' to disguise the overall puffiness?

Scott McMahon admits he came to a point in his football career where he “hated” playing and says returning to VFL level recaptured his hunger for the game.

The 28-year-old, who featured in just five games for North last season, battled to regain form and spent the majority of 2014 with VFL affiliate Werribee.

After feeling “down in the dumps”, McMahon said his time in the VFL was invaluable and is now paying dividends on the training track.

“To be honest, I hated the game earlier on. It got to a point where – because I hadn’t done a pre-season I knew I was unfit – it was like, ‘What’s the point?’” McMahon told NMFC.com.au.

“Playing in the VFL, I got back to really enjoying and loving football.

More here: http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2015-01-23/a-weight-off-the-shoulders

It’s no secret that improving his fitness levels has been at the top of McMahon’s agenda – he’s shed about 10 kilograms over the past year alone.

we could use his decision making and skill execution across half back when the pressure is on.

Hopefully he has gained a bit of speed, because if he is as slow as what he was last year we'll struggle to find a matchup for him.

The recent developments with Scotty (my namesake - Scott is my real name) are far and away the best news from this pre-season so far. He's going to make us so much better at his absolute best. Not that our backline had a bad year, but it'll be even better with a fully fit Loose on the loose.

Can't wait for the season to start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back