Past #42: Scott McMahon - club won't renew contract (29/9) & Loose retires (13/10) - thanks Loose

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not in our best 22.. just too slow
If I had to make a call right now based off his 2014 campaign then I absolutely agree. The great thing about preseasons though is it gives players the chance to improve their base fitness depending on their desire/health. Never thought I'd commend McMahons drive but he seems to have made some major inroads in this area.

Wether or not that translates into senior games I couldn't make a call before at least the Preseason games but if he plays he just has to perform a role for the team- that is nullifying the oppositions third tall/medium forward so he doesn't have to be a star. Your point of his lack of quickness applies here as a major concern.

He faces some stiff competition for spots but good luck to him and it's a testament to our sides performance atm that he is fighting for his career.

If I had to make a call right now based off his 2014 campaign then I absolutely agree. The great thing about preseasons though is it gives players the chance to improve their base fitness depending on their desire/health. Never thought I'd commend McMahons drive but he seems to have made some major inroads in this area.

Wether or not that translates into senior games I couldn't make a call before at least the Preseason games but if he plays he just has to perform a role for the team- that is nullifying the oppositions third tall/medium forward so he doesn't have to be a star. Your point of his lack of quickness applies here as a major concern.

He faces some stiff competition for spots but good luck to him and it's a testament to our sides performance atm that he is fighting for his career.
Only need to look at Spud's re-emergence see how a decent pre-season and an opportunity can be all that it takes. Spud's 2014 also showed a great deal of maturity - he thought his way through things that a younger player, and a younger Firrito wouldn't have done.

Here's to Loose finding fitness and form and, if he gets a chance, taking it.

If he's s as fit as he says he is then you'd think Loose could get back to his best.
Would a Loose at his best be in our best 22?

Personally I think he'll surprise a few this year

I wasn't aware he could do that sort of job.
Before Lachie's ascendency as a defender I think Loose's role was pretty similar, working off small/medium forwards rather than KPF/resting rucks though. Very good reader of the play, solid mark for his size, courageous, good kick and elite decision making.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...trong-pre-season/story-fni5f986-1227388597079

WHEN Scott McMahon walked through the Arden St doors for day one of pre-season last summer, jaws collectively dropped to the floor.

The nuggety North Melbourne defender — who played his first AFL game for the season on Sunday — had dropped 12kgs on the back of a radical diet which he hopes will help transform a sputtering career.

McMahon’s secret? Chocolate milk.

You’re unlikely to find it in a nutrition’s textbook, but the reliable stopper all but aborted eating after last season’s exit meeting and ignored the mandatory players’ break from training.

And shortly after singing the song in his Hobart comeback match, McMahon revealed his most testing nine months had “clearly paid off”.

story-fni5f986-1227388597079

“I went straight into a running program and a diet (from the exit meeting),” McMahon told the Herald Sun.

“My main goal going into pre-season was just to do every session plus a little bit extra on top, which I did.

“But I wasn’t eating. We set up a type of milk diet. I could have dinner — but for breakfast and lunch I’d just have milk.

“The diet was the big thing. It was Nesquik, so it was a fluid diet which goes in your system and out your system, but you’re still getting all the vitamins and nutrients you need throughout the day.

“It was tough, because I do enjoy my food.”

The milk fad only stopped about a month before pre-season games with McMahon’s energy stocks too low, while Sunday’s win against West Coast was just his 17th AFL appearance since 2012.

In the same stretch he has lined up for VFL affiliate Werribee 27 times and was acutely aware critics had written him off as too slow and too fat for the Kangaroos.

McMahon, 29, never lost faith he was good enough but admitted he did wonder if he’d played his final game.

“There was 13 weeks where I didn’t get a game so you start thinking, ‘s**t, was that my last game? Will I get another one’,” he said.

“You get to your breaking points where you think, ‘I’ve done all this work, lost all this weight, I’ve done everything you asked and I still can’t get a game’.

“I think I was preparing to maybe not get another game, but I never once gave up.”

Werribee coach John Lamont said when McMahon returned he was “unrecognisable”.

“Just the amount of weight he’d lost. It was an extraordinary change in 8-10 weeks and he maintained his strength.”

Lamont said McMahon’s off-season commitment was impressive give he has two young kids.

He also praised McMahon’s attitude and on-field leadership with Werribee’s young defence.

McMahon was so nervous before the West Coast game he found himself checking his footy bag “about eight times” while teammates were sending through congratulation texts and shaking his hand before they ran out.

“It was treated almost like it was my first game and it’s like, ‘I’ve played 100 games with you!’

“But being back, it was good. It meant a fair bit,”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love Loose!

Love to see how he goes in the non-tornado conditions of the dome. Our team in particular can certainly use an exquisite ball user, a category that Loose most definitely sits in.

He might not be the fastest, but why do you need to be if you make excellent decisions?

If it's good for Spud to have a career revival, then it's most certainly good for Scotty!!

Now who do yah think came up with the Chocolate Quik diet? :stern look at me

I was gonna say Zonds that you could teach Loose another great Quik trick which can aid weight loss.

1. Scott McMahon was Werribee’s best in the victory, marshalling the defence en route to restricting the Hawks to only seven goals.

“Not only was he Werribee’s best, it was by a mile probably,” Gavin Brown told NMFC.com.au.“He used the ball really well and set us up from the back half and he pressed really aggressively to defend and tackle.

“He even kicked a brilliant goal that basically ended up being a sealer. It was an exceptional game from him.”

Kudos to Loose. He seems to have happily embraced his senior role at VFL level, and his example to the kiddies on our list who are playing alongside him there is first class. No sulking, bitching or moaning. In top form he could well prove handy backup if and when required also.

It is great to have loose as a backup player and his games in the VFL this year have been top notch.

I think if loose is to retire or is not playing at another club next year we should offer him a playing coaching role with the Werribee TIgers next year.

I have seen a lot of him in the VFL and the way he goes about it and the leadership he shows in the back line is exceptional. With Werribee becoming our sole VFL club next season, he would be great at developing our young back men.

It's kind of unfortunate that there's really no place for him in the side, but at least he seems to be enjoying his footy still. Certainly wouldn't begrudge him playing elsewhere next season if an opportunity presents itself.

He won't go elsewhere. Coaching is his next career option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back