• Forward Pocket

Votes: 124 58.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done NMFC.

Jack's gonna be the best player from this draft

my thoughts to I am very disspointed we passed over him I have whatched a fair bit of him thinking we might have taken him . Rich will be good but jack is just gonna be a star for mine he's got the lot he's a brilliant kick both sides very good mark and goes and gets it . He's seventeen He's not fit and wasnt for most of the year so has so much upside to him when he does good luck to him.

ziebell.jpg

ziebell1.jpg

Should be a great player but I think everyone is getting a little too excited. This is Laidley we're talking about. The Z man will be lucky to play more than 2-3 games next year.

I reckon he's been one of the better coaches in terms of giving young players a go in the last few years to be fair.

Wodonga teenager Jack Ziebell comes good on pact
  • WODONGA teenager Jack Ziebell and his father, Gary, made a pact at the start of what has been a hectic year.
If 17-year-old Ziebell managed to get through a tough year of TAC Cup football with Murray Bushrangers and year 12 as a live-in boarder at Caulfield Grammar, then the first weekend free they would head bush.

So that’s why the pair, plus a few of Jack’s mates, are this weekend fishing for trout, four-wheel driving and "chilling out" at the family holiday home at Mitta Mitta, a picturesque hamlet at the foot of the Victorian high country.

"When I first came up here five or six years ago, I just fell in love with the place," Ziebell said.

"Dad said to me when you finish school, and in between the draft, we would head up the re and have fun."

The fun is certain to roll over into Saturday’s national draft with Ziebell – a tough midfielder with a ferocious attack on the ball – tipped to be drafted inside the top 10.

"I’m pretty anxious for it all to be over," he said.

"I’m keen to know if I will get drafted and where I could end up."

Moving away from home in Wodonga won’t be an issue for the All-Australian on-baller, although he would prefer to stay in Victoria.

"I moved to Melbourne at the start of last year for school, so it might make it easier. I’m used to being away from home," he said.

If things go to plan for Ziebell, he would be another footy graduate of Caulfield Grammar, whose AFL alumni include high draft picks Chris Judd and Brendon Goddard.

Ziebell has long been on AFL recruiting radars.

Starting Auskick at five, he became the youngest player to play senior football with Wodonga when he was only 15. This year he toured South Africa, averaged 22 disposals in his premiership-winning year with the Bushrangers and courageously carried a knee injury through the national championships.

"I hyperextended my knee in the second game of the nationals," he said.

"It got to a point where I didn’t train a lot throughout the year, but it’s fine now after a rest."

Ziebell, whose family always come to Melbourne to watch him, almost didn’t play in the TAC Cup Grand Final, going to the tribunal on a charging report in the lead-up.

"We had a bit of trouble getting through that," he said.

"That’s why it was so special to me because I almost lost the chance. I won’t be doing that again."

Still, those are the attributes this hard-at-it midfielder has that have long impressed AFL scouts.

Explains the testing at DC and what I thought was a fairly quiet carnival in some respects.

I reckon he's been one of the better coaches in terms of giving young players a go in the last few years to be fair.

Not only that, he's been giving them some decent time on the field.

With the retirements of Thompson, Sinclair, and Grant, and the delisting of Brown, Laidley will be giving even more opportunities to the kids in the seniors.

I wanted Essendon to pick this guy up at five, so for him to slip through to you guys is quite lucky. Footy smarts, loves a contest and can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. Most importantly, a leader and a boy with a mature head on his shoulders. Will be watching his development closely over the next few years, could well be the captain of your club in the future. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ziebell happy to join the Roos

JACK Ziebell is over the shock of being drafted by North Melbourne and ready to get down to business.Less than 48 hours after thinking he would be picked up by the Brisbane Lions and heading interstate, Ziebell will instead find himself boarding a Roo bus at 7.30am today for a training camp at Wilson’s Promontory.
The Wodonga teenager is ecstatic.
“It’s turned out perfectly,” Ziebell said yesterday.
“I’m stoked to be staying in Melbourne because North is a great club and I have a lot of good friends living here already.
“I thought I was going to Brisbane but when Daniel Rich went there it meant I could stay in Victoria.
“It’s been an exciting couple of days.”
Ziebell, 17, has been joined at the Roos by Murray Bushrangers teammate Sam Wright and the pair were bombarded with calls from their new teammates, coach Dean Laidley and president James Brayshaw on Saturday.
North Melbourne recruiting manager Bryce Lewis spent time with Ziebell on the AIS Academy’s tour of South Africa earlier this year and believes the Roos have something special on their hands.
“We certainly didn’t expect it until Friday when we heard Brisbane may take Daniel Rich, but the club is just delighted,” Lewis said.
“He’s been an accomplished player for the Murray Bushrangers, AIS and Victoria Country and has a really good head on his shoulders.
“His ability to play in the midfield and push forward is really exciting from our point of view.
“We think he has good leadership qualities as well and, with a young side, that’s another real positive.
“We couldn’t be happier.
Ziebell, who hyper-extended his knee playing for Victoria in the national championships and was restricted with his training as the Murray Bushrangers charged to the TAC Cup premiership, is keen to start work at Wilson’s Promontory today.
“I’m looking forward to getting into it,” he said.
“The camp will be a good chance to meet everyone and start working on my fitness.
“It’s all happened fairly quickly and at least things are sorted out now.
“Having Sam (Wright) here as well will be good.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local/sport/afl/ziebell-happy-to-join-roos/1374150.aspx

jackziebell.jpg

Name: Jack Ziebell
Height: 188cm
Weight: 84kg
Recruited From: Murray Bushrangers
Draft History: Pick 9 in the 2008 National Draft

Ziebell was North Melbourne’s first round draft selection at the 2008 National Draft, after surprisingly slipping through to pick 9.

A 188cm midfielder, he has excellent skills by foot and is tough in the contest. He has strong leadership skills, and is expected to be a future leader of the North Melbourne Football Club.

Hailing from the Murray Bushrangers, Ziebell was prolific in his team’s TAC Cup premiership averaging 18 possessions and two goals a game. He also represented Victoria Country at the NAB Under 18 AFL Championships and gained All-Australian honours.

Hi Guys,

Any updates about Ziebell's pre season training?
Does he look like a pre season/ round 1 starter?
pace/skills observations?

Hi

Had a look at training yesterday (Australia Day), and even though I wasn't looking out for him, noticed Ziebell. Looked to be one of the most impressive youngsters...seemed fast with a solid body, and direct penetrating kicking. Don't know about getting a run in the NAB cup etc. If they are going to try a youngster he would have as good a chance as anyone. The squad looked good- I think overall they looked trimmer and maybe fitter. Harro looked fitter than last year and ready for action. Hamish did several plays involving lots of running and I was surprised by how fit and trim he seemed - augers well for a good season from him. Scott McMahon looked fitter than I remember too. Dish looks great- expect another big year from him. Sorry, I should have taken notes. I suppose the main thing is the squad looks really good and there should be healthy competition for spots in the team. The intra club match should be a really good one!

Apparently he's training the house down.:thumbsu:

I've been to 2 training sessions they had some match practice drills and ziebell looked very very good . His body looks ready as anybody's but given he's the youngest on the list who knows what they will do with him as a 17yo . His kicking both feet looks very good and appears to be quite quick off the mark. He is very clean with the footy by hand or foot
He put his body on the line and took a big hit that didnt faze him. He just looks like a footballer. I think he'll be one sticking his hand up for sure.
I for one am very excited by him at the moment.

I've been to 2 training sessions they had some match practice drills and ziebell looked very very good . His body looks ready as anybody's but given he's the youngest on the list who knows what they will do with him as a 17yo . His kicking both feet looks very good and appears to be quite quick off the mark. He is very clean with the footy by hand or foot
He put his body on the line and took a big hit that didnt faze him. He just looks like a footballer. I think he'll be one sticking his hand up for sure.

Post of the year so far.

What number is he wearing this year? I'm gonna get his number on my duffel-coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back