Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More girls now playing soccer than netball
Posted on December 11, 2015

Roy Morgan says that back in June 2014, 50% of Aussie kids (or 1,213,000 children) reported going swimming, ahead of 47% (1,136,000) who said they played soccer. Since then, soccer has gained an extra 108,000 young players, to hit a 50% participation rate (1,244,000); while swimming participation has fallen by 32,000 kids and now sits at 48%.

While more Aussie kids are also taking part in athletics, cricket, netball and Australian Rules football than they were 12 months ago, the increases for these sports are negligible when compared with the boom in soccer participation.

Ten most popular sports among Australian children 6-13

But soccer’s rise is not simply the result of more boys playing it: it is becoming increasingly popular with girls as well. So much so, in fact, that a higher proportion of Australian girls (39%) now play soccer than netball (37%), a sport traditionally associated with girls.

I never thought I 'd see the day when Netball wasn't the most popular sport amongst girls. It's probably a sign of the times now where exposure to professional womens soccer is rapidly growing at a rate faster than Netball could hope to achieve due to the amount of investment by FIFA.

I never thought I 'd see the day when Netball wasn't the most popular sport amongst girls. It's probably a sign of the times now where exposure to professional womens soccer is rapidly growing at a rate faster than Netball could hope to achieve due to the amount of investment by FIFA.

It's less meaningful than people imagine.

Soccer allows junior clubs to cater for kids aged 4 and 5 taking their first tentative steps into the world of team sport. What else are kids (boys and girls) going to do aged 4? They certainly can't play netball, but they can chase a spherical object around a small field 20m x 10m.

On a Saturday morning, in most parts of Australia, you can find dozens of such fields set up where 4 to 6 year olds are aimlessly chasing a small ball around a small field, invariably, the ball is knocked 2 or 3 fields across, and they all give chase after it and parents have to retrieve the ball and brind a modicum of sanity back to the field.

Are these numbers in any way meaningful at such an early age? I'm not so sure..

Participation in this context could mean kicking a ball during lunchtime at school. You honestly believe 50% "play" soccer?

Participation in this context could mean kicking a ball during lunchtime at school. You honestly believe 50% "play" soccer?
I reckon soccer participation numbers are great. My kids played soccer when they were little and then went to footy. But there are a lot of kids of both sexes who get lost in footy or netball. That's not to say soccer is a game for uncoes, just that it caters to kids of all skill levels better than footy or netball or basketball.
there's nothing as dispiriting as being a kid with few skills in a footy game - other kids simply won't give them the bal. Soccer gives those kids a go.

I reckon soccer participation numbers are great. My kids played soccer when they were little and then went to footy. But there are a lot of kids of both sexes who get lost in footy or netball. That's not to say soccer is a game for uncoes, just that it caters to kids of all skill levels better than footy or netball or basketball.
there's nothing as dispiriting as being a kid with few skills in a footy game - other kids simply won't give them the bal. Soccer gives those kids a go.
Soccer is the sport of choice for parents who want their kids to play sport, but are afraid they are not any good at them (they are usually right).

Soccer is the sport of choice for parents who want their kids to play sport, but are afraid they are not any good at them (they are usually right).
soccer is actuary good for a child to learn balance and eye & feet coordination. a reason why the game is so popular with parents because the game for the best part of it is non contact

soccer is actuary good for a child to learn balance and eye & feet coordination. a reason why the game is so popular with parents because the game for the best part of it is non contact
This is why the AFL pushing so hard into girls footy. Nothing calms the fears of a parent about how rough a sport is better than familiarity. A lot of people not linked to footy are still not aware ozkick is non contact. A women who grew up with ozkick and junior footy is much less likely to see soccer as the 'non violent' option.

This is why the AFL pushing so hard into girls footy. Nothing calms the fears of a parent about how rough a sport is better than familiarity. A lot of people not linked to footy are still not aware ozkick is non contact. A women who grew up with ozkick and junior footy is much less likely to see soccer as the 'non violent' option.

and more often than not it is the mother who gets to decide what their children play. If the mother loves Aussie Rules then the mother is far more likely to pick Auskick for her child or children.

Touch is a non-contact form of Rugby League, that is why it has play-the-balls and six 'tackle' sets.

The NRL hasn't taken over OzTag. They instead introduced League Tag. Both are again non-contact forms of Rugby League.

It is about making Rugby League more inclusive, touch-tag-tackle, male or female, social.

The last year is evident that the ARLC didn't pander to anyone. The positions of the commission were never in danger, they held the guaranteed votes of the 4 clubs financially controlled by the NRL and the support of the QRL. The, at best, handful of chairman agitated through the media because that was the only avenue they had and in the end the clubs failed to get all their demands met in the funding agreement.

It's easy to have willfully ignorant opinions.

I thought league bought oztag too. Was pretty funny, the guy who came up with the concept took it to the nrl, they said "it will never be as popular as touch" then they bought it back for like 25m a decade or so later after trying to push league tag instead.

That is my recollection of it.

I thought league bought oztag too. Was pretty funny, the guy who came up with the concept took it to the nrl, they said "it will never be as popular as touch" then they bought it back for like 25m a decade or so later after trying to push league tag instead.

In 2013

There is a small hitch to the new relationship, though, with the popular OzTag - which has more than 130,000 participants - failing to reach an agreement with the NRL.

It is understood the NRL refused to pay the asking price OzTag operators wanted to take over the commercial rights to their sport. The NRL version of tag football is the lesser-known version of the code called ''league tag''.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...or-the-game-20130808-2rkor.html#ixzz3u3UPoUbD

then in 2014
OzTag founder and former Dragons star Perry Haddock last night confirmed high-level talks with NRL boss Dave Smith were gaining momentum toward an agreement, following years of false starts with previous regimes at League Central.

Haddock revealed he’d spoken to Smith around six times in the past year, but was yet to agree on the exact mechanics of the agreement. “We’re still talking to Dave Smith’s people and the talks have been very positive,” Haddock said.

“Nothing has been set in concrete yet and we’ve still got some way to go before we can get to the point where we’ve got an alliance. But that’s what we’re working toward.”
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rship-with-oztag/story-fni3fbgz-1226837586096

There is still no cobranding or anything like what happened with the TFA on Oztags website.

I think negotiations broke down with OzTag wanting more than the NRL believed it was worth and so the NRL instead introduced NRLTag. May come to a deal in the future.

Fair enough, my bad. I know at school the kids play league tag instead of oztag. Few subtle differences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand the AFL's wanting to get the females in to football, as its a huge market for them & good on girls for finally getting the opportunity.

I'm a big fan of the concept of the afl 9s, it will get the people who don't want the physical contract still an opportunity to play the game, or Even people who want to do something fitness or for social reasons. Even AFLs CEO Gillan McLachlan & coach Nathan Buckley played touch footy last season.

The concept of touch rugby has been around form years its great for fitness, hand eye coordination etc... So hopefully the afl continues on rolling out this 9s concept

I can understand the AFL's wanting to get the females in to football, as its a huge market for them & good on girls for finally getting the opportunity.

I'm a big fan of the concept of the afl 9s, it will get the people who don't want the physical contract still an opportunity to play the game, or Even people who want to do something fitness or for social reasons. Even AFLs CEO Gillan McLachlan & coach Nathan Buckley played touch footy last season.

The concept of touch rugby has been around form years its great for fitness, hand eye coordination etc... So hopefully the afl continues on rolling out this 9s concept
touch footy and touch rugby in the one post?

Is there a type of AFL referred to as Touch Footy in victoria?

Looks to be where some of the additional $100m a year will be spent, sounds like the NRL are moving toward a draft and taking over development pathways from clubs.

NRL blueprint for the future

The NRL on Tuesday outlined a proposed blueprint to take the game forward over the next decade.

The plan, drawn up by the Head of Game Strategy and Development, Shane Richardson, is designed to improve player welfare and pathways, upgrade and strengthen the second tier and assist in protecting elite players from burnout.

The strategy will reduce costs for clubs, further grow the game outside the current reach and provide a new level of awareness regarding player welfare as they progress through the elite pathways.

Mr Richardson said Rugby League has an opportunity to extend its reach beyond its current footholds to country Australia, Affiliated States, New Zealand, Pacifica and ultimately internationally.

He said the strategy takes a "whole of game" approach to the challenges of the future.

The key recommendations include:

- Increasing the size of NRL squads to 36 players – including six rookies

- Restricting players from making their NRL debuts until the year they turn 19. No player to be signed with an agent until he is 17 - and contracts for these players should be for a maximum three-year term

- Restructuring the National Youth Competition into a state-based under-20 competition

- Introducing rookie contracts for the start of the 2018 season with each club allowed to sign three rookies each year on two-year contracts

- Revamping and upgrading the State League into a Platinum League to spread the footprint of the competition into all the areas that play Rugby League

- Easing player welfare by considering additional leave, creating a formal International window over an eight-year period and reducing the number of five-day turnarounds

Mr Richardson said the phasing out of the NYC and payments for under-18 players - along with a new business model for the second tier - would result in a $20 million saving for the NRL clubs.

There would be a significant increase in expenditure in the pathways and in particular the second tier by the NRL.

"We are looking to improve and extend the pathways not detract from them," Mr Richardson said.

Mr Richardson said a committee representing the State bodies would help determine the teams which take part in the Platinum League.

He said the models being shown during consultation for 11 teams in NSW competition were only examples to demonstrate how far the game could reach if the new League was established. But no determination had been made on the final makeup of the League.

"We want to give everyone the opportunity to play in the NRL – whether they come from the country, New Zealand, the Affiliated States, Pacifica or anywhere else in the world of Rugby League," Mr Richardson said.

"This strategy is not intended to squeeze anyone out of the game - it is designed to include more participants than ever before."

Mr Richardson rubbished suggestions that there had not been sufficient consultation on the blueprint.

He said meetings had been held with all stakeholders and that consultation was on-going.

"Further consultation with the RLPA and other interested parties will be held before any final decisions are made," he said.

"This is an exciting time for the game…we have an opportunity with the new broadcast rights deal to stretch our vision and allow the game to break out from some of the restraints of the past.

"Most importantly, we have started a discussion about the way forward and that has to be a positive start for the game."

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-blueprint-for-the-future/tabid/10874/newsid/91182/default.aspx

Afl9's is touch, but I never heard it referred to as touch, it is just 9's

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk
ive always associated touch with rugby & the non contact of AFL as '9s'
not sure what its called in Melbourne as ive been in WA and QLD the last 11 years

Last edited:
Whats this crap? "The $160 million deal - made up of $140 million in cash and $20 million in advertising - marks the first time Australia's premier domestic football competition will be broadcast on free-to-air TV since the A-League's inception".

They actually mean SOCCER. The AFL is Australias premier football code then comes the NRL then daylight RU and A League the TV figures tell the real story of the Australian FOOTBALL landscape.The money always talks.Have a look at the pathetic crowds the soccer is getting this season and you see they are in deep ****

Whats this crap? "The $160 million deal - made up of $140 million in cash and $20 million in advertising - marks the first time Australia's premier domestic football competition will be broadcast on free-to-air TV since the A-League's inception".

They actually mean SOCCER. The AFL is Australias premier football code then comes the NRL then daylight RU and A League the TV figures tell the real story of the Australian FOOTBALL landscape.The money always talks.Have a look at the pathetic crowds the soccer is getting this season and you see they are in deep ****
Settle pettle dont be so defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back