Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huge weekend for Rugby league with it being dedicated to, Alex McKinnon. Would be pretty disappointing if we didn't see a few extra bums on seats with the NRL donating a $1 back for everyone through the gate.
I would hope all that money would not just be all going to the player in question, someone who would have earnt hundred's of thousands per year.

2014NRLcrowdsr18.png

2014AFLcrowdsr17.png
Does anyone know what strategies the NRL are using to reach their goal of a 20000 crowd average by 2017? Their crowds basically haven't changed for 10 years. Seems like something quite profound would have to happen to get there.

I think it will be very hard for RL to get to 20,000 average any time soon They already get blanket coverage in the Sydney Media and the crowds are static.

The AFL will still be able to grow crowds on the back of better fixturing esp in Victoria and the prospect of filling the new 60,000 seat Perth Stadium plus once GWS starts winning consistantly they will also get better crowds.

Well the state goverment has said no more money for suburban grounds. Instead there will be money for the east (sfs & scg), central (Stadium Australia/Showgrounds) and west (undecided location for 45k multi purpose stadium. Penrith early fav though parra also in mix)
They are assuming that fans will be more attracted to come to these grounds for what reason? Just because they will be building a roof over these venues?
Melbourne fans aren't flocking to Etihad just because of this, and Sydney RL followers don't travel well, which they will be required to under this arrangement. This has been shown time and time again.

And Penrith for a new 45k stadium? There was barely a decent crowd to see the top of the table Panthers there last night. What need would there be to build that size of a stadium there? Wanderers don't get those kind of crowds either.

They are assuming that fans will be more attracted to come to these grounds for what reason? Just because they will be building a roof over these venues?
Melbourne fans aren't flocking to Etihad just because of this, and Sydney RL followers don't travel well, which they will be required to under this arrangement. This has been shown time and time again.

And Penrith for a new 45k stadium? There was barely a decent crowd to see the top of the table Panthers there last night. What need would there be to build that size of a stadium there? Wanderers don't get those kind of crowds either.

They are banking on better facilities will bring the crowds. But the real reason is the state government doesnt want to spend millions on all the suburban grounds in sydney and would mucb rather have just 5/6 stadiums.
Penrith is fav only because the minister deciding is a penrith rep. Parra seems to be more favored due to location. Though liverpool and campbelltown are also putting in bids.
we really do need a large multipurpose stadium In the west.

Its going to be a risk. But one the nrl need to take. Yes by centralising stadiums the quality of the facilities rises and so "should" the crowds. But it may turn people away.

It will turn people away, but if the VFL/AFL experience shows anything, for the old school hard nuts you lose, you get women and kids coming in greater numbers.

Great move IMO, 20 years late, but great its finally happening

They are banking on better facilities will bring the crowds. But the real reason is the state government doesnt want to spend millions on all the suburban grounds in sydney and would mucb rather have just 5/6 stadiums.
Penrith is fav only because the minister deciding is a penrith rep. Parra seems to be more favored due to location. Though liverpool and campbelltown are also putting in bids.
we really do need a large multipurpose stadium In the west.

Given logistics for the region, you'd think Parra makes most sense (but once poli's are involved.....)

Given logistics for the region, you'd think Parra makes most sense (but once poli's are involved.....)

To be honest I think penrith has more room. Also with the 2nd airport (and new rail links from there to stmarys) and other infrastructure penrith or liverpool would, I think, be better in the long run. Parra is also only 10mins from olympic park.

To be honest I think penrith has more room. Also with the 2nd airport (and new rail links from there to stmarys) and other infrastructure penrith or liverpool would, I think, be better in the long run. Parra is also only 10mins from olympic park.

Forgot about the airport - good call

Agree on prox to Homebush, but access on the M's is bloody easy right now compared to the others.

The airport, new rail spur, and the potential for the outer ring does change it a lot longer term

This weekend on Pay TV

1 LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V HAWTHORN FOX FOOTY 276,000
1 LIVE: NRL STORM V BULLDOGS FOX SPORTS 1 230,000
1 LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V COLLINGWOOD FOX SPORTS 3 219,000
2 LIVE: AFL BULLDOGS V GOLD COAST FOX FOOTY 212,000
1 LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V BRONCOS FOX SPORTS 1 210,000
3 LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V CARLTON FOX FOOTY 202,000
2 LIVE: AFL RICHMOND V PORT ADELAIDE FOX FOOTY 193,000
4 LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V EELS FOX SPORTS 1 186,000
5 LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V GEELONG FOX FOOTY 170,000
6 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: REDS V WARATAHS FOX SPORTS 2 138,000
3 LIVE: NRL TITANS V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 1 127,000
4 LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V GWS FOX FOOTY 107,000
8 LIVE: AFL BRISBANE V WEST COAST FOX SPORTS 3 93,000
9 LIVE: AFL NORTH MELBOURNE V ST KILDA FOX SPORTS 3 81,000
3 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: BRUMBIES V FORCE FOX SPORTS 2 87,000
7 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: BLUES V CHIEFS FOX SPORTS 2 55,000

Its going to be a risk. But one the nrl need to take. Yes by centralising stadiums the quality of the facilities rises and so "should" the crowds. But it may turn people away.

Dont forget the Docklands in Melbourne is hated in the same way that ANZ is in Sydney by RL fans and as say give a dog .......

There are plenty of games at Docklands stadium that opposition teams supporters just wont attend and that affects the crowds overall.

Dont forget the Docklands in Melbourne is hated in the same way that ANZ is in Sydney by RL fans and as say give a dog .......

There are plenty of games at Docklands stadium that opposition teams supporters just wont attend and that affects the crowds overall.

Oh I agree, but the state government is going to give them a choice. They want to only have to pay for 4/5 stadiums that cover the metro area, not for 15.

In saying that I don't hate ANZ, when full its a great place with a ton of history in such a short time, great transport to. But its problem is the NRL shoving every game there which means 20k (If lucky) in a 85k stadium. Terrible atmosphere for those small crowds.

This weekend on Pay TV

1 LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V HAWTHORN FOX FOOTY 276,000
1 LIVE: NRL STORM V BULLDOGS FOX SPORTS 1 230,000
1 LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V COLLINGWOOD FOX SPORTS 3 219,000
2 LIVE: AFL BULLDOGS V GOLD COAST FOX FOOTY 212,000
1 LIVE: NRL PANTHERS V BRONCOS FOX SPORTS 1 210,000
3 LIVE: AFL SYDNEY V CARLTON FOX FOOTY 202,000
2 LIVE: AFL RICHMOND V PORT ADELAIDE FOX FOOTY 193,000
4 LIVE: NRL WARRIORS V EELS FOX SPORTS 1 186,000
5 LIVE: AFL MELBOURNE V GEELONG FOX FOOTY 170,000
6 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: REDS V WARATAHS FOX SPORTS 2 138,000
3 LIVE: NRL TITANS V RAIDERS FOX SPORTS 1 127,000
4 LIVE: AFL FREMANTLE V GWS FOX FOOTY 107,000
8 LIVE: AFL BRISBANE V WEST COAST FOX SPORTS 3 93,000
9 LIVE: AFL NORTH MELBOURNE V ST KILDA FOX SPORTS 3 81,000
3 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: BRUMBIES V FORCE FOX SPORTS 2 87,000
7 LIVE: SUPER RUGBY: BLUES V CHIEFS FOX SPORTS 2 55,000

That makes it AFL 6 matches in the top ten for 1,272,000 NRL 3 matches for 626,000 and one Super Rugby @ 138,000 Fox Footy would be happy with the AFL figures

Overall the 16 games totals AFL 1,553,000 NRL 753.000 Super Rugby 280,000

I would hope all that money would not just be all going to the player in question, someone who would have earnt hundred's of thousands per year.

It looks like it.

Link

The RiseForAlex Fund will provide Alex McKinnon with ongoing medical rehabilitation, housing suitable for his mobility and movement, essential physiotherapy equipment and many more necessities to ensure Alex is taken care of by the game he loves.

Hmmm I didn't know that.. The smart thing to do would be to set it up as a fund for all players who have serious injuries and end their career (plus ruining life after football)

This could well be the start of something like that. Lets hope so.

Hmmm I didn't know that.. The smart thing to do would be to set it up as a fund for all players who have serious injuries and end their career (plus ruining life after football)

The smarter thing to do would be to force an injury compensation fund into the next player wage agreement, particularly now that the NRL is rolling in cash. I think the AFL and AFLPA implemented this partially in the 2007 Collective Bargaining agreement and expanded it in the 2012 one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back