Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just another tangent, as if the issue has one answer. It can be discussed, unfortunately some are too uninformed to see another point of view - I played Aussie Rules in Sydney in the early 70s.

He could look to the Holden Cup for an answer.

As I said, and I guess have to repeat myself, I don't know what Cmarsh and the likes expect after only a few years of real input into the game by the governing body. Something the AFL have been light years ahead on. I would've thought someone in an area where a sport is expanding would know how hard it is starting from almost scratch. Guess I was wrong.

I've never played Aussie Rules, but reckon it would've been great to do so.

Edit: The Storm also had a SG Ball and Harold Mathews side in 2014, so it's obvious the growth is coming.

Last edited:
Yep.

The real losers were the Reds. Imagine where the code would be now if it had hung in there.

It's interesting to think about, I doubt anyone could honestly say. The Perth sporting road is littered with teams that had their era and subsequently dropped off the radar. The Glory are probably the most well known, they were genuinely talking about taking over the city in the 90s (not that they were ever that big, but that's never stopped soccer people talking it up). Nowadays they are a novelty at best. The Wildcats were huge in the 80s and have only just made a comeback now, going through years of anonymity. The Force were big in their first couple of years and the only time you hear about them now is in the punchline of a joke. Even the Perth Heat had their day until they moved to the WACA, they got some big crowds at Parry field and had games broadcast live on Channel 9.

The Reds never really had their time in the sun, whether they could have if they hung around and had a few good seasons, or more importantly held onto it, I don't know.

It's interesting to think about, I doubt anyone could honestly say. The Perth sporting road is littered with teams that had their era and subsequently dropped off the radar. The Glory are probably the most well known, they were genuinely talking about taking over the city in the 90s (not that they were ever that big, but that's never stopped soccer people talking it up). Nowadays they are a novelty at best. The Wildcats were huge in the 80s and have only just made a comeback now, going through years of anonymity. The Force were big in their first couple of years and the only time you hear about them now is in the punchline of a joke. Even the Perth Heat had their day until they moved to the WACA, they got some big crowds at Parry field and had games broadcast live on Channel 9.

The Reds never really had their time in the sun, whether they could have if they hung around and had a few good seasons, or more importantly held onto it, I don't know.

I really hope they get another chance.

I really hope they get another chance.

There are a lot more NSW and NZ expats here now than back when they were around, I reckon the NRL would be stupid if they didn't. But they have to stick with it, don't pike it after a few years if it doesn't immediately take off. I wouldn't do it in 2018 though, with the new stadium opening up they won't get any oxygen.

There are a lot more NSW and NZ expats here now than back when they were around, I reckon the NRL would be stupid if they didn't. But they have to stick with it, don't pike it after a few years if it doesn't immediately take off. I wouldn't do it in 2018 though, with the new stadium opening up they won't get any oxygen.

Cheers, Rob. Completely agree they have to stick with it.

Yeah, if the Adelaide experience is anything to go by.

The new Perth Stadium could present an opportunity for RL to promote a new club by bringing an origin game every few years.

Didnt the Glory pull 40k plus crowds to Grand Finals at Subi? Success on field & crowds go hand in hand.

The Perth stadium will not be complete until 2017 and I am not sure how good it will be for rectangular sports.
I would be surprised if expansion occurred before then and it's supposed to be multi-purpose with a format for rugby league.

I wouldn't do it in 2018 though, with the new stadium opening up they won't get any oxygen.

Yep, and not just because of the stadium itself, but its capacity. For the first time in a decade the Eagles will be actively recruiting new members. 2018 would be a rough year for any new sporting franchise to launch. But given how strongly expansion in all codes recently has been linked to broadcast rights, if not 2018, can they afford to wait 'till 2023?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, and not just because of the stadium itself, but its capacity.

Well, not really, it'll only seat 60k. It won't even come close to taking up their existing waiting list. I think there's something like 12,000 on it and they can buy up to 4 seats each. At a conservative 2 seats each they could sell 65,000 full memberships now (i.e real memberships, not bullshit trinket ones).

Well, not really, it'll only seat 60k. It won't even come close to taking up their existing waiting list. I think there's something like 12,000 on it and they can buy up to 4 seats each. At a conservative 2 seats each they could sell 65,000 full memberships now (i.e real memberships, not bullshit trinket ones).

eagles total membership last year was only 58,000 - and that includes people paying to be on the wait list IIRC

Packer and fellow Channel Ten shareholder Lachlan Murdoch - the co-chairman of News Corp - are said to be salivating at the thought of wresting the rights to rugby league from Packer's former mate David Gyngell at Nine.

Channel Seven boss Kerry Stokes is also said to be circling like a great white off the Newcastle coastline.

Whoever gets it will need to throw open the chequebook with a figure of $2 billion - no, that's not a typo - already being suggested.

Whatever happens, Smith and Richardson need to ensure the game is no longer television's subordinate. Rugby league needs to take control of itself again.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...cal-win-for-rugby-league-20150121-12uxq2.html

I dont think anyone is going to get 2 billion.
i know that, will TV advertising revenue falling, due to other forms of media now days.
but its like when you agree on any contract. one side will want as much money as possible, the the other side wants to pay as little as possible.
i've seen 1.6 billion being suggested as the figure a few times

i know that, will TV advertising revenue falling, due to other forms of media now days.
but its like when you agree on any contract. one side will want as much money as possible, the the other side wants to pay as little as possible.
i've seen 1.6 billion being suggested as the figure a few times

A lot is going to be decided on whether the AFL goes into broadcasting matches themselves. At the moment, for whatever reason they dont do local IPTV except after 12 hours. Neither FoxtelGo or sevens online platforms are doing live AFL matches either - which suggests to me the AFL more or less guaranteed it would stay off live online local broadcasts until either it had trialled it properly on the small scale internationally, or to get more money.

A lot is going to be decided on whether the AFL goes into broadcasting matches themselves. At the moment, for whatever reason they dont do local IPTV except after 12 hours. Neither FoxtelGo or sevens online platforms are doing live AFL matches either - which suggests to me the AFL more or less guaranteed it would stay off live online local broadcasts until either it had trialled it properly on the small scale internationally, or to get more money.

Right now not enough people have access to really fast internet to make live streaming viable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back