Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot is going to be decided on whether the AFL goes into broadcasting matches themselves. At the moment, for whatever reason they dont do local IPTV except after 12 hours. Neither FoxtelGo or sevens online platforms are doing live AFL matches either - which suggests to me the AFL more or less guaranteed it would stay off live online local broadcasts until either it had trialled it properly on the small scale internationally, or to get more money.

The media types wouldnt leave a door open in their agreements.

I think both codes will likely fetch around the 1.5 - 1.6 billion, 2 billion is a pipe dream, at least for a 5 year deal.

There are a lot more NSW and NZ expats here now than back when they were around, I reckon the NRL would be stupid if they didn't. But they have to stick with it, don't pike it after a few years if it doesn't immediately take off. I wouldn't do it in 2018 though, with the new stadium opening up they won't get any oxygen.
Weren't the reds were a casualty of super league / News limited not because the Administration?

In terms of air time, I think that will come down to their performance. If they field good teams they will get enough air time to get the niche following they are looking for. Rugby League is not AFL, it is happily bumbling along for anyone who wants to support/play it. AFL has a bit of a religious zeal in how it approaches certain things... i.e. nabs footify Australia.

The new Perth Stadium could present an opportunity for RL to promote a new club by bringing an origin game every few years.
I don't think this would work for broadcasting unless the WA public wanted a game on a school night starting at like 5pm.

Weren't the reds were a casualty of super league / News limited not because the Administration?

In terms of air time, I think that will come down to their performance. If they field good teams they will get enough air time to get the niche following they are looking for. Rugby League is not AFL, it is happily bumbling along for anyone who wants to support/play it. AFL has a bit of a religious zeal in how it approaches certain things... i.e. nabs footify Australia.

You're hoping and dreaming, be sure to read the whole article or you really will look silly, after all its air time ... http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...v-events-of-2014/story-fnk8579h-1227120551222

Even a NSW stadium is excelling:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/anz-st...echnology-awards/story-fnaqgujp-1227194517127
SYDNEY Olympic Park’s ANZ Stadium has made the finals of the 2015 World Sports Technology Awards after being at the forefront of the digital experience at major sporting events.
The nomination will pit one of Sydney’s premier sporting venues against some of the most prestigious sporting venues in the world including Marylebone Cricket Club at Lord’s, Chelsea Football Club at Stamford Bridge and the Barclay’s Centre in New York.
ANZ Stadium won recognition for its cutting-edge Telstra Connected Stadium Lounge during last year’s NRL finals series, taking fans to a whole new dimension of sports technology.

Maybe pa, you arent across the issues.

Last edited:

As I understood it, they had a shitload of debt and no-one that wanted to cover it. Whether you thought that was News Ltd's fault I guess is a matter of opinion, but the reality is they went bankrupt.

As I understood it, they had a shitload of debt and no-one that wanted to cover it. Whether you thought that was News Ltd's fault I guess is a matter of opinion, but the reality is they went bankrupt.

One thing the game will have to do with any revival is ensure travel costs are met by the league. Something I'm sure was met by the Reds back in the old days.

One thing the game will have to do with any revival is ensure travel costs are met by the league. Something I'm sure was met by the Reds back in the old days.

I have heard that, not sure whether it was true. Would have thought similar requirements on Auckland and North Queensland would have sent them to the wall as well (who I think came in at the same time).

I have heard that, not sure whether it was true. Would have thought similar requirements on Auckland and North Queensland would have sent them to the wall as well (who I think came in at the same time).

Pretty sure it was from what I recall back then. Warriors and Cowboys probably did and the Warriors financial problems are well documented, but probably more aligned to bad management than anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The new Perth Stadium could present an opportunity for RL to promote a new club by bringing an origin game every few years.

With respect to rugby league (and I have a ticket), Melbourne getting an Origin game every few years is as much about the VIC Government paying to get NSW and QLD tourists down as it is the ARLC (or whoever's in charge now) promoting the game.

I don't think this would work for broadcasting unless the WA public wanted a game on a school night starting at like 5pm.

Origin games start at 8pm AEST (usually some minutes later). 6pm AWST is doable.

2015codemembers19012015.png

Last edited:
With respect to rugby league (and I have a ticket), Melbourne getting an Origin game every few years is as much about the VIC Government paying to get NSW and QLD tourists down as it is the ARLC (or whoever's in charge now) promoting the game.

Origin games start at 8pm AEST (usually some minutes later). 6pm AWST is doable.
Of course it is, and it can be replicated in WA with the entry of a new club to help leverage their exposure. The aims aren't mutually exclusive, the ARLC would have little problem selling an origin game to WA.

Labors NBN would have but the Coalitions NBN won't be fast enough.

For proof of this, two examples

1) Aust is to get a b grade of 4k online steaming because it's already conceded the Turnbull nbn couldn't cope with the bandwidth needed

2) for those who think it is for movie watching only, it's already becoming commonplace for workplaces with Remote server ops collapsing semi regularly (killing access to email, drives, and even ms office), video conferences becoming phone calls due to the link up continually imploding), and the mass switch to mobiles when VoIP becomes a joke

But yeah, the nbn isn't needed Mr Turnbull ;)

Rugby League clubs are in s**t loads of debt all the time and the central body loans them money. Even AFL clubs go through troubles.

The question is suppose is whether they voluntarily shut up shop, or whether they were told not to bother anymore because they weren't getting a license and so they weren't getting any help.

The NRL's new Head of Strategy and Development on expansion;

How many teams should we have in the comp?

We’ve got to expand. I’m not so concerned about the number of teams, it’s the number of fixtures. The bigger the expansion the better it is for the TV networks. I think Western Australia deserves a side, we need another team in South-East Queensland and New Zealand is crying out for another team. The opportunities there in the next media deal are huge. I think we can make some good decisions fairly quickly.

What about the survival of Sydney clubs?

I’m a fan of having all the Sydney clubs but they’ve got to be financial and stand on their own two feet. At Souths, we revamped everything to make sure we survived. We made a tough call to go to ANZ Stadium. At first we got backlash. Now we’ve got the No. 1 membership and corporates in the game.

So can they all survive?

Everyone’s got to raise their level. The NRL has to make sure money is spent in the right areas. At Souths, we poured our money into membership, into marketing operations and sales and grew them into an area that made the club sustainable. Dave Smith wants sustainable business models at all the clubs. At club level we’ve got to keep improving the standard of administration.

You don’t sound overly enthusiastic about keeping all the Sydney clubs.

My point is everyone’s got to stand on their own two feet and run a quality business and have quality corporate governance. That’s why I said I’ve got no restriction on numbers in the size of the competition. We just have to look at the quality of all the organisations to make sure they survive. You can’t keep bailing out people.

TV rights;

What should our next TV deal be worth?

Everyone’s asking that question. It should be worth significantly more than it is now. I won’t put a figure on it. The biggest thing is News Corp dropped their first and last rights in the last deal. So we’ve got a real chance now to work out what the fans want and what we want and then take that to the TV networks.

So the NRL can take back control of the draw from the television networks?

Last year, I can’t remember when Souths played in daylight. Our first home fixtures are against the Roosters and Tigers on Sundays. That’s a no-brainer. That’s a win for TV and a win for everyone else. Once you put a figure on it, you go in there and give away things to get it. But we’ve got to think about our fans, members and corporates. Then we take a clearly defined package to the broadcasters and tell them we think this is what’s best for our game. We go to them and say this will make our game even better for TV.

Four networks cover NFL. Should the NRL spread it around?

We have to have an open mind about it. Again we did the last deal based on a number, not necessarily what was best for the game. We’ve got to make the decisions on what’s best for the exposure of our game.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...211006949?nk=11dfb895eb6d8d04a297e315f37a2efa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back