2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Injuries kill our reserves team and always have (and will). Not a huge shock that we've struggled from round 1 when our injury list has been bad from round 1.

Personally don't think our development is that bad at Sanfl despite the sh*t format.

Players who are best 22 (or should be) and have played actual significant Sanfl time under the current format :

Doedee
O'Brien
Sholl
Hamil
Butts

Fog has been in and out and Keays, TT, Berry, Rowe have obviously skipped the Sanfl. Jones has done most of his struggling in the afl side.

Not advocating for our Sanfl side. The format has a lot of flaws for us.

Just don't think development per se has been that bad given the players in the system.

Five players in 7+ seasons isn't a great return.

Our inability to develop midfielders is a glaring weakness. When you've got multiple blokes taken in the first round who still can't get a kick in the midfield at SANFL level, it's obvious that it isn't working.

The club needs to go and recruit some solid players from the WAFL, VFL and TFL. Unfortunately the TPP restrictions means that only young kids looking to get an AFL break are interested which doesn't help us.

Club needs a solid base of corporate links so that a player could come across on a decent corporate wicket and play SANFL

Why move them around? That the stupidest thing I've read
You have more control of the position played, would any of the SANFL team play Fogarty in the midfield or Jones down back?
tenor.gif

Ah yes another club apologise confortable we have an unsuitable sanfl coach.

I have higher standards than you.

Get over it as I want to improve!
You know nothing about me - just settle down as you're going absolutely over the top with the hissy fits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might help Pedlar if they put him near the ball for 10 minutes a quarter. Kid is stuck in the forward line that doesn’t see any pill.
He was getting centre bounce attendances a bunch of times that I saw? Would be curious what the actual numbers were.

It would be remiss of us not to examine our development/reserves structure.

We've added Bello this year but largely stuck with the same team - Reilly, Wright, Godden.

We overhauled our senior coaching group and are seeing some positive glimpses so far.

I wonder how Bello sees his support crew?

Yeah, good question.

There's no real shortage of coaches in the market, so you'd think Bello should be able to get the people he wants in there.

Just STFU. You're truly clueless.
He has a point.

We're trying to teach them particular roles and positions. They have things to learn during the game - the point isn't just to throw them around.

Now, if you think they should be developed into multiple positions, then obviously that's different. But the point of the SANFL is what they learn during game conditions.

So what do the VFL sides do for top ups? Do they have the same issues we do when we have injuries?

This season they grab a few overage (19yo) TAC Cup players from what I've seen. They don't pick too many from local leagues as you do in the SANFL.

The only way to do well at SANFL level is to have a better standard of top-up players* (IMO, Matty Wright is the only one who could be considered an above average SANFL footballer) + have next-to-no AFL injuries + have a more experienced AFL squad (with 'depth' players already proven at state level). We aren't ticking any of these boxes at the moment.

The cost of a deep rebuild (which we are undertaking) is that your reserves team is going to lack experience. This is where we are, and I'm fine with it. It's all about the AFl team.

*Davis, Jackson, Latchford & Boyle have been good at times the year.

One of the problems with developing in the SANFL is that it's a different game due to the umpiring. There is a lot more scragging and infringements that are let go, and lots more rolling packs because they hardly ever pay holding the ball. From a bounce down, whoever takes the ball gets tackled, wrestle ensues, player with ball attempts to break free rather than quick kick or handball, another ball up, rinse and repeat.

Our kids are in wrestling matches with mature bodies every week.

It's a combination of injuries to our squad, s**t top ups, and Godden as to the reason we are so bad in the SANFL. Add in the main overarching reason which is that the overall quality our list isn't in the place it needs to be and it will take another 2 draft and trade periods to fix what Riccuito has done to it. Godden needs to go now though. He is s**t.

One of the problems with developing in the SANFL is that it's a different game due to the umpiring. There is a lot more scragging and infringements that are let go, and lots more rolling packs because they hardly ever pay holding the ball. From a bounce down, whoever takes the ball gets tackled, wrestle ensues, player with ball attempts to break free rather than quick kick or handball, another ball up, rinse and repeat.

Our kids are in wrestling matches with mature bodies every week.
That's actually a good point, and it goes all the way through to having completely different rules. Even more reason to be in some kind of AFL reserves comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For a lot of the guys in the 2's
Lets' try Himmelberg at CHB and McAsey at CHF for starters

Fair. Though I would say it's pretty constant for a twos side to have a lot of your "problem" prospects in it, so it is kind of expected to have players who have either stagnated or falling behind in it. There have been some gains at least, ROC got a debut, Worrell should have had a debut 6 weeks ago, Jones started to figure things out, McPherson might just be starting to turn a corner.

Players like Hately, Himmelberg, Ben Davis etc have really gone backwards this year. Unfortunately it does happen to every side. Prospect can't work it out and is overtaken by the one who can. It's also not helping we're in a deep rebuild and don't want to carry older depth pieces on our list.

I heavily disagree with Himmelberg in defense. We have too many potential KPDs as is. Either he makes it as a key forward or we move on.

Last edited:
Fair. Though I would say it's pretty constant for a twos side to have a lot of your "problem" prospects in it, so it is kind of expected to have players who have either stagnated or falling behind in it. There have been some gains at least, ROC got a debut, Worrell should have had a debut 6 weeks ago, Jones started to figure things out, McPherson might just be starting to turn a corner.

Players like Hately, Himmelberg, Ben Davis etc have really gone backwards this year. Unfortunately it does happen to every side. Prospect can't work it out and is overtaken by the one who can. It's also not helping we're in a deep rebuild and don't want to carry older depth pieces on our list.

I heavily disagree with Himmelberg in defense. We have too many potential KPDs as is. Either he makes it as a key forward or we move on.
We can't be the first people to have thought of Himmelburg as a key back. Presumably they've looked at it and think he has a fatal flaw in his physicality that means he's not going to work as a KPD at a senior level.

My god this league is an utter joke..

The umpiring is so atrociously in favour of any club that is playing the crows and the coaching of our team is horrid.

AND... Whoever thought Godden shouldve been given the role of coaching our developing players needs to be shot.

My money would be on it being a Roo decision and another “jobs for mates” one..

ive said it before, I'll say it again. Why the actual * you'd choose to have a coach you know to not be up to it at AFL level coaching your developing players is absolute stupidity. With 40% soft cap reduction, there should have been much better options and we may have unearthed a decent line coach. But no, we stick with a known total hack.

If the coaching is 'don't worry about the ball, just keep on your player', then we need new coaches.

I'm convinced that our junior mids are coached not to get the ball but to be a part of the system that results in our 3 prime movers getting it. Which would be a bit of an issue in a midfield that is full of junior midfielders. It's a theory but I'm not really certain it's not a bat s**t crazy one.

I'm convinced that our junior mids are coached not to get the ball but to be a part of the system that results in our 3 prime movers getting it. Which would be a bit of an issue in a midfield that is full of junior midfielders. It's a theory but I'm not really certain it's not a bat sh*t crazy one.
We already know our midfield isn't developing as well as the other area compounded by Pedlar just coming back from injury and not yet fully fit to play in the midfield, Hatley still finding his feet and M.Crouch and Milera being injured for the season which mean others players are playing in their spot at AFL level then a bunch of AFL listed youngsters and relatively young tops up so why is everyone surprise we are struggling in the midfield against experienced SANFL midfielders?

Just STFU. You're truly clueless.
McAsey was a forward too in development. In one AFL game last year he was moved forward and looked better. It could help his confidence having some good experience both ends. Worrell - same, he's a swing man so SWING HIM. Move them is the smart option sometimes. I played all positions in my playing times.

McAsey was a forward too in development. In one AFL game last year he was moved forward and looked better. It could help his confidence having some good experience both ends. Worrell - same, he's a swing man so SWING HIM. Move them is the smart option sometimes. I played all positions in my playing times.
And which players are they going to replace in the forward line at the AFL level? The only position is a 2nd tall defender, we have been fortunate to have cover Talia with the emergence of Butts this year but Talia will be retiring soon so we still need to find and develop a 10 years 2nd tall defender, why do you think we drafted McAsey as a KPD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back