2nds AFC 2021 SANFL Thread - We're baaaaaaaack (in the SANFL)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive always rated Godden. We had 12 players off our list there today. Most of them our younger players. PA actually use the system to get more mature players as top ups. We tend to go for fringe country or ammo's.
Personally i think its a poor system for development.

Ive always rated Godden. We had 12 players off our list there today. Most of them our younger players. PA actually use the system to get more mature players as top ups. We tend to go for fringe country or ammo's.
Personally i think its a poor system for development.
Not really, we mainly use the system as an "academy" by picking relatively young players we see with AFL potential, this is were Murphy and Murray got onto our AFL list and Matthews was tracking that way before he did his ACL which is the correct approach compared to Port Power and both O'Brien and Doedee developed exceptionally in the SANFL.

Not really, we mainly use the system as an "academy" by picking relatively young players we see with AFL potential, this is were Murphy and Murray got onto our AFL list and Matthews was tracking that way before he did his ACL which is the correct approach compared to Port Power and both O'Brien and Doedee developed exceptionally in the SANFL.
Jy Farrar and Tom Hutchinson got drafted after being top-ups with us too.

I've only watched a few SANFL games this year, but the thing that has struck me is, the coaching never changes. Godden's midfield is the same crap he served up in the AFL last year. Reilly is trying his hardest to get the D on track but his cattle are woeful at times. Same with the F. Half the time it never gets down there.

Like a previous poster said earlier, toss the players around a bit. Play the recruited mids as mids, not forwards. McAsey and Worrell need to play forward and Billy and EH go to D. Basic stuff like that. We have some good proven top ups. Merrett and Latchford are well up to the standard required but the game plan is terrible.

Godden never makes any sort of daring moves at all. Poor Strachan, Billy and EH when rucking try their heart for what? Nada-our mids are too busy looking at the opposition mids backs instead of tracking the ball. Piss weak Godden.

Don't get me started on the biased umpiring but smart coaches show the players how to deal with it. Ours don't.

I've only watched a few SANFL games this year, but the thing that has struck me is, the coaching never changes. Godden's midfield is the same crap he served up in the AFL last year. Reilly is trying his hardest to get the D on track but his cattle are woeful at times. Same with the F. Half the time it never gets down there.

Like a previous poster said earlier, toss the players around a bit. Play the recruited mids as mids, not forwards. McAsey and Worrell need to play forward and Billy and EH go to D. Basic stuff like that. We have some good proven top ups. Merrett and Latchford are well up to the standard required but the game plan is terrible.

Godden never makes any sort of daring moves at all. Poor Strachan, Billy and EH when rucking try their heart for what? Nada-our mids are too busy looking at the opposition mids backs instead of tracking the ball. Piss weak Godden.

Don't get me started on the biased umpiring but smart coaches show the players how to deal with it. Ours don't.
Why move them around? That the stupidest thing I've read (this is as worst as your call that the draft sanction cause our current list problem despite us playing in finals and the Grand Final after 2012), we are developing them for the AFL and not winning SANFL games.

Not a lot of developing going on
Doedee and O'Brien were getting smashed while being developing in the SANFL, same can be said about Jones and Thilthorpe (although he only played 5 games developing there) and look at them in the AFL, also Fogarty looks more comfortable in the AFL after his development in the SANFL in the midfield this year so........

Why move them around? That the stupidest thing I've read (this is as worst as your call that the draft sanction cause our current list problem despite us playing in finals and the Grand Final after 2012), we are developing them for the AFL and not winning SANFL games.

You're truly clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have prefer Younie to still be in that role and I don't have any insider information to suggest he isn't good at developing young players.
Younie development record was poor. Probably would have been moved on if didn’t have a contract, but left to NM anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doedee and O'Brien were getting smashed while being developing in the SANFL, same can be said about Jones and Thilthorpe (although he only played 5 games developing there) and look at them in the AFL, also Fogarty looks more comfortable in the AFL after his development in the SANFL in the midfield this year so........
Non developed in the SANFL or under Godden

Davis (the one we’ve had for years) is actually even shitter than the top up players..

Hately aint much better either im afraid.

Hately looks like hes been given the same “play the man, not the ball” instruction that Godden gave Jones a couple of years ago.. and its getting the same results.

Godden is dogshit. Needs to be told to just go away and never come back.. right now before he does anymore damage... dont even let him back into his office to collect his belongings..
I said last week I’d be delisting Davis now, stuff waiting until years end, the guy has blatantly quit trying.

Having a reserves team has been a pretty big flop IMO. Don’t think player development is any better than when they were assigned SANFL clubs.
You have more control of the position played, would any of the SANFL team play Fogarty in the midfield or Jones down back? And both players probably would have been dropped to be honest.

Having a reserves team has been a pretty big flop IMO. Don’t think player development is any better than when they were assigned SANFL clubs.

Ever since we decided to have a standalone team the SANFL has done everything they possibly could to hinder us

Ever since we decided to have a standalone team the SANFL has done everything they possibly could to hinder us

They hate us more than Port even.

We should absolutely refuse to pay the $400k fee to participate in their shitty comp. We're not here to prop them up.

Injuries kill our reserves team and always have (and will). Not a huge shock that we've struggled from round 1 when our injury list has been bad from round 1.

Personally don't think our development is that bad at Sanfl despite the s**t format.

Players who are best 22 (or should be) and have played actual significant Sanfl time under the current format :

Doedee
O'Brien
Sholl
Hamil
Butts

Fog has been in and out and Keays, TT, Berry, Rowe have obviously skipped the Sanfl. Jones has done most of his struggling in the afl side.

Not advocating for our Sanfl side. The format has a lot of flaws for us.

Just don't think development per se has been that bad given the players in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back