AFC Asian Cup - Final: Australia v Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone got actual odds for this???
lol

Sportsbet - 1st Goal Scorer

Players not quoted - $6 :eek:

Not even mentioned, but still second favourite!

Gee I hope we win this. Would be huge for the sport in this country.

I think 2-0. An early one from a Cahill header then one for McKay in the 85th with Japan chasing the game and getting hit on the counter.

Anyone else got to get up at 6:30am for work on Sunday morning?

****, gonna be so wrecked with next to no sleep. But hopefully it's worth it. Timmy Cahill surely has to score yeah? Does it every other bloody time against the Japs and in big matches (ie. World Cup and Merseyside derbies).
Has been largely quiet in the tournament thus far, would be a nice time to re-emerge.

All the better that they can't stand the sight of him in Japan.

Anyone else got to get up at 6:30am for work on Sunday morning?

****, gonna be so wrecked with next to no sleep. But hopefully it's worth it. Timmy Cahill surely has to score yeah? Does it every other bloody time against the Japs and in big matches (ie. World Cup and Merseyside derbies).

Pull a sickie much?

I can't beleive that according the bookies Australia were favourites! :eek:

had to instantly put $20 on Japan at $2.85
easy money :thumbsu:

(Australia will only win if we play great, Japan play s**t, and Schwarzer dominates a penalty shootout)

Thats a bit like tipping against the crows (ive never bet against them) you want to win your tip/bet but deep down you'd prefer if they won.

I can see us winning btw, at the last asian cup we were terrible and it still took penalties for them to get over us.

I think a big congratulations is in hand for Mark Schwarzer tonight, who will become our most capped international player, overtaking Alex Tobin with his 88th appearance for the senior national team.

Big Mark has been the cornerstone of the most successful international period in this country's history in this sport, and deserves all the credit that comes his way.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS MARK SCHWARZER.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I think a big congratulations is in hand for Mark Schwarzer tonight, who will become our most capped international player, overtaking Alex Tobin with his 88th appearance for the senior national team.

Big Mark has been the cornerstone of the most successful international period in this country's history in this sport, and deserves all the credit that comes his way.

Hear, hear! Wonderful achievement, well done Schwarzer!:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee I hope we win this. Would be huge for the sport in this country.

I think 2-0. An early one from a Cahill header then one for McKay in the 85th with Japan chasing the game and getting hit on the counter.
How impressive has mckay been? Makes you think what other players could do it at international level from the a-league because while he's a good player hess not exactly a standout player at a-league level. I think i had been conditioned into thinking that most a-league players werent up to it.

I have been following the cup very closely from over here in Japan and subsequently following the Blue Samurai's with the locals.
The main problem Japan has is their defence. Their two regulars were injured before the tournament and the replacements, whilst having their moments, really haven't been all that solid. They struggle with composure and our forward half is very experienced with Cahill and Kewell. We have to watch out for Nagitomo though because he is their quickest player and has created a lot of their chances scorching down the left side. Very quick.
Also, I am wary of Kawashima their keeper. He may be an unco f*** but when he gets his confidence up he has a habit of keeping everything out. Last game would have given him that confidence.

Their midfield is their strongest point obviously but they no longer rely on a sparkling individual. They are the epitome of a unit and has been the catalyst for their come from behind wins. Hasabe is the general and Endo has been a monster playing a Vince Grellas role of sorts. Honda, their main man, is our biggest problem. He has become a cult hero and has been playing full of confidence. His control and creativity will definitely worry us. If we let him loose we will be in trouble. Currently their most damaging player. Other than that Kagawa will be a huge loss despite his indifferent last game. He's their young Kewell. His repacement won't be as good (probably Hosogai) but will fit into their system. Big hearts in the engine room.
This is where we can struggle because Jedinak whilst getting himself into dangerous areas at times isn't exactly great at retaining the ball. Wilkshire hasn't been in his best form and hopefully Holman is OK. Mckay will have a very big job to keep up the good work. Expect Emmo to come in early.

Okazaki their striker, has been in brilliant form and whilst not dazzling is one of those players who always just pops up and scores. Other than him there is Maeda who is more of a workhorse. Japan's goals come mostly from their midfield rather than any individual brilliance from a striker anyway.
Neill and Og will have to really be careful about being turned inside out. Japan won't be playing the long ball in.

There was a bit of talk about the socceroos failing to hold much possession of the ball on this forum during the Uzbek game. Some were worried if we repeated that Japan would cut us up. However, I am pretty certain that was a measured tactic by Holger Osieck. The plan was always to defend deep and keep the space open in our half for the counter attack. That way we were really compact and the Uzbeks just ran into a wall. They just gave the ball up after passing around with it until they got bored. We got them on the counter attack a ridiculous amount of times.
Osieck might not be employing the same tactics because 1:Japan are a lot quicker and slicker with the ball therefore it won't allow us to get back into that zone and 2: they are too damaging by foot to give up that much possession.
It will be interesting to see what the German comes up with this time.

Anyway, enjoy the game lads! I'll be here at the pubs wearing green and gold amongst a sea of blue!:thumbsu:

Anyway, enjoy the game lads! I'll be here at the pubs wearing green and gold amongst a sea of blue!:thumbsu:

Great write up as well. Good to get a feel of the opposition for those that haven't seen Japan play since the World Cup.:thumbsu:

Where were all the Uzbeki-based BigFooty posters the other week to tell us we would thump them?:p

Well said

Congrats to Schwarzy, he is a legend and will always be remembered as a great Australian Footballer :thumbsu::D:thumbsu:

anyone know of a site streaming the game?

Justin.tv and ustream always have something on. U might have to follow another link through some of those streams though.

Great write up as well. Good to get a feel of the opposition for those that haven't seen Japan play since the World Cup.:thumbsu:

Where were all the Uzbeki-based BigFooty posters the other week to tell us we would thump them?:p

Cheers mate. The mood here is pretty festive. All pubs will be jam packed tonight. The general feeling is they definitely respect us and are a little afraid of us but at the same time feel they should be the number 1 asian team.
I'll be in there chanting "There's only one team in Asia!" to the tune of that 'One tonne rodeo" jingle.:D

Congrats to the big man with the gloves :D He has been brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back