Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Blues v Tigers Thurs March 14th 7:30pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Young was more concerned with Lynch than the ball so yes it was a rough free kick being so close to goal but probably there.

The only problem I have is Gibcus doing the exact same thing to Kennedy up the other end only 2 minutes later where he actually chopped his arms causing him to juggle and ultimately drop the mark, no free kick paid. Was more interested in obstructing Kennedy than going for the ball.

Zero consistency between on field umpires and zero consistency from quarter to quarter. No wonder fans get frustrated.
There was a more blatant chop on TDK by a RIchmond small fwd which led to him spilling the mark. They got it back in for a shot by Nankervis (which luckily missed)

The Blues barely survived a team that was down to one healthy player on their bench, that was not a convincing victory.
The main thing is they walk away with the four points.

If they find themselves firing on all cylinders leading into September, sitting 2nd with 16 wins, I'm not sure they'll be looking back and thinking about how lucky they were to get that round 1 win against Richmond...

A quarter as dominant as the second from Carlton and could only register +10 on the scoreboard.

I reckon much of last night was the blues keeping the tigers in the game.

I always say if more behinds are registered than goals, then it is somewhat a poor performance.

Curnow missed 4 absolute gimmes. 2 set shots around 30 metres and 2 reckless play-on decisions.

Boyd missed an easy shot. Fantasia missed from directly in front.

Breeze shouldn't be an excuse. If you cannot take your opportunities, then expect more pressure.

The Blues barely survived a team that was down to one healthy player on their bench, that was not a convincing victory.
You realise it doesn't matter at this point right? Collect the 4 points move on, we looked terrible last week as well but found enough to win the game against the toughest assignment in footy right now.

If your bad games are narrow wins you are going a long way towards finishing top 4 and being there when it matters.

The main thing is they walk away with the four points.

If they find themselves firing on all cylinders leading into September, sitting 2nd with 16 wins, I'm not sure they'll be looking back and thinking about how lucky they were to get that round 1 win against Richmond...
First thing you've ever said that makes sense Fadge 👏

As Carlton fans we're used to not having big wins, it's not really our thing. Even if we get out to a big margin sometime in the game chances are by the end the margin will be much closer, or more often than not the game is a grind in some manner.

We're a side built on brutal contested and pressure football. If that's off even a little, things can look ugly. Still a work in progress and it even seemed last night Voss was still trying a couple things, felt like our pre-season games at times, which is a weird thing to say in a Round 1 blockbuster, but there you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Prestia is a big loss but if they are missing Gibcus and Young even Port's forward line could stretch them next week. Then they host Sydney. Then they have a game against St Kilda in Adelaide.

Could easily be 0-5 or 1-4 and it's tough from there.

With respect to Carlton, I don't think many sides will play as far below their best as the Blues did tonight.

Ruck free he had his 2 hands square in his back and pushed, that’s a free every time.
Umpires were ok on the whole even though we again lost the free kick count but that’s nothing new. The “50” metre penalty to de koning at such a crucial part of the game was an absolute howler though, both the decision and the metres given.
Surely
Ruck free he had his 2 hands square in his back and pushed, that’s a free every time.
Umpires were ok on the whole even though we again lost the free kick count but that’s nothing new. The “50” metre penalty to de koning at such a crucial part of the game was an absolute howler though, both the decision and the metres given.
Surely the AFL can cough up $150 bucks for a half decent Fitbit that can measure off 50m accurately for the incompetent green maggots

Just personally, I feel Carlton is more dependent on their top 8 -10 than some other teams. There doesn't seem to me to be quite as much depth as say a Collingwood or Brisbane.

Might explain why their form fluctuates so much even within a game....they need their top players all out there at once, and can fall away quickly if that's not the case.

Just personally, I feel Carlton is more dependent on their top 8 -10 than some other teams. There doesn't seem to me to be quite as much depth as say a Collingwood or Brisbane.

Might explain why their form fluctuates so much even within a game....they need their top players all out there at once, and can fall away quickly if that's not the case.
The perceived lack of depth right now might have something to do with Weitering, Walsh, Martin, Docherty, Marchbank, E.Hollands, Motlop and Silvagni all being out of the team with injury. Docherty and Silvgani are both out for the season but should hopefully see most of the others after the bye.

You only have to look at the finals games last year to see that Carlton are not really reliant on their top players to win games. Acres, Cottrell, Newman etc were arguably more important in those wins than Cripps/Curnow etc

Surely

Surely the AFL can cough up $150 bucks for a half decent Fitbit that can measure off 50m accurately for the incompetent green maggots
So true. You can understand umpires making wrong calls during a game as much of our rules are grey. However the length of a 50m penalty should never be wrong. So easy to rectify but once again shows up afl as amateur.

I don’t know how this lazy narrative continues to exist.

We’re 2-0 without 2 of our 3 most important players, and another top 10 player going down at half time of the first game with injury.

How can anyone who has watched us since the mid way point of last season honestly suggest our role players haven’t been huge contributors?

Our depth is fine. The constant injury list has made sure of that.

Enjoyed the game.
Tiges looked okay, showed some dash and energy, something to work with. Ultimately though, they need to work on ball movement, what is their new strategy?, often they stagnate and seem at at a loose end. And they still leak through the middle when oppo have speed. How they got so close is in their credit I suppose.

Blues looked good through the middle, linking chains, their movement was a step or two above. Defense was hot cold, but very good at times. They didn't fully take advantage of their advantages, a bit of putting the foot down when required, I felt. I like watching their helter skelter approach, hope they can maintain it whole year, and then, who knows?

He knocked the ball out of his hands. We've known for years now that Richmond like to push the boundaries with the rules when it comes to delaying play to allow their defenders time to get back and set up.

The 50 looked about right. It was paid about 3m inside the line for the square. The square is 45m long and the new mark was set 1-2m inside the 50m arc. If it was over, it was only by a little bit.
I think people just get confused because they don't know the field dimensions and maybe just saw it as 'back of the square to inside 50'.
1710468668078.png 1710468694613.png

Last year, Collingwood barely got over the line against Crows twice and lost to Hawks.
Big deal.
So Collingwood beat a team that would have played finals had they even won one of their two matches against Collingwood (notwithstanding the fact they should have played finals anyway), and lost a dead rubber to Hawthorn?

Back