Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 2 - Saints v Pies Thurs March 21st 7:30pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest what part of the boundary line are you lining the ball up with?

The white line opposite the feet of Higgins and below the ball, or the white line on your TV screen that is just to the left of the ball which is actually metres away from the ball (ie is foreshortened by the angle of the camera). and as the boundary line is curved, has curved to the left?

Ball to not be in play has to be entirely out of play, which if you look next to the ball you might at first glance think it is as you are seeing green next to the ball and the white line is entirely to the left of the ball.

But if you project a line downwards it looks to me from the footage that part of the ball is over the line.

View attachment 1935615

And if you want to reflect on goals from "possible" umpiring errors. There is always this "mark" and goal to have at look at too.

View attachment 1935623

Agreed on the Elliot mark.

There is an issue with the Higgins diagram though. The "ball just in" line is a straight line which is clearly out at the top of the line. That line will not work when the boundary is curved. That's not to say that the ball is in or out though. Just the diagram is not the best representation to use to present one side or the other.

I think people will ask questions when it is a huge number like 30 to 15 frees. Particularly when it seemed like a certain umpire paid most of them.
I thought the umpiring was perfectly fine in the first 3 quarters. The reason the free kick count was very lopsided in that time was because like every other aspect of their game, Collingwood were very sloppy/lazy/just off the mark, or second to the ball, which is why they gave away so many free kicks. I don’t remember any howlers that went our way during that period. Most of them were very obvious.

Definitely felt like we got lucky in the last quarter, but don’t think it affected the result.

We had the answers every time they came back at us and were clearly the better and more disciplined team on the night.

And over the years we’ve been on the end of numerous reamings from Fisher, so it was nice to be on the opposite side of that for a change.

I think normally he’s trying to not appear biased, so he overcompensates.

I thought the umpiring was perfectly fine in the first 3 quarters. The reason the free kick count was very lopsided in that time was because like every other aspect of their game, Collingwood were very sloppy/lazy/just off the mark, or second to the ball, which is why they gave away so many free kicks. I don’t remember any howlers that went our way during that period. Most of them were very obvious.

Definitely felt like we got lucky in the last quarter, but don’t think it affected the result.

We had the answers every time they came back at us and were clearly the better and more disciplined team on the night.

And over the years we’ve been on the end of numerous reamings from Fisher, so it was nice to be on the opposite side of that for a change.

I think normally he’s trying to not appear biased, so he overcompensates.

I agree with most of this. There were decisions made both ways which were not particularly good but it didn’t effect the outcome of the game, and the better team won in the end so I don’t mind it.

The thing that concerns me is that during the first 3 quarters, as soon as a free kick was called for St Kilda, I thought to myself “Fisher” and sure enough most of it was him. 🤣😂 Not suggesting the calls were right or wrong but the count was high compared to what it should be. He’s a terrible umpire anyway so I am not too shocked by it.

They have been the better side
However some decisions I'd be rope able if it was my team.
I agree, what ever anyone thinks that whistle was going hell bent and very rarely for the Pies.

I thought it looked worse than I have ever seen umpiring, and it has to be how the rules are doled out to the umpiring staff and how they are meant to interpret, and they all see it different.

Got to be black and white so people can guess [pretty closely whats a free, and sometimes you can't even tell, so you watch baffled, if its for your team beauty , but it is screwing games for every team.
And surely we can;'t keep on having over technical non game understanding people umpiring , because sometimes they have a day off with decision making in split second they get it wrong but they can't renege on the call, that comes from flashpoint speed of the game, with these poor b****rds trying to decipher over kill under the thumb of too much technical bulldust. That has arrived in footy several years ago in the name of Tiggy Touchwood. Umps lose games and they pull up momentum and they looked terrible last night.
They are umpires not game deciders. Surely we can protect heads without absolute ridiculousness in adjudication, its pathetic, and in supreme over load.

I agree with most of this. There were decisions made both ways which were not particularly good but it didn’t effect the outcome of the game, and the better team won in the end so I don’t mind it.

The thing that concerns me is that during the first 3 quarters, as soon as a free kick was called for St Kilda, I thought to myself “Fisher” and sure enough most of it was him. 🤣😂 Not suggesting the calls were right or wrong but the count was high compared to what it should be. He’s a terrible umpire anyway so I am not too shocked by it.
I wonder what the Herald Sun stats will show , bet you they are almost even. Umpires made petty over kill choices and we watchers don't even know what they call sometimes even that point makes the argument that the rules system is too much over done technological and who can argue with smart ar**s in the rule head's office.

Oi "don't Blink " its a free.
This,game has accidental touching colliding it can't be helped its all the time , so what happens when??????
Sicily last year lays a brilliant tackle AS HE DID, but the fellow that made the inertia stronger/harder that turned McCluggage's head upside down, that's the the Hawk that jumped over both and forced a tumble, WHAT IF HE WAS A Brisbane player , what happens when team mates mangle each other by accident do they get weeks?
What happens when opponents by accident mangle an opposition player, he get weeks.
Any one see the silliness, of over doing the political correct "aren't we nice" in a contact sport????

It is a contact sport ? Yes? No?

I wonder what the Herald Sun stats will show , bet you they are almost even. Umpires made petty over kill choices and we watchers don't even know what they call sometimes even that point makes the argument that the rules system is too much over done technological and who can argue with smart ar**s in the rule head's office.

Oi "don't Blink " its a free.
This,game has accidental touching colliding it can't be helped its all the time , so what happens when??????
Sicily last year lays a brilliant tackle AS HE DID, but the fellow that made the inertia stronger/harder that turned McCluggage's head upside down, that's the the Hawk that jumped over both and forced a tumble, WHAT IF HE WAS A Brisbane player , what happens when team mates mangle each other by accident do they get weeks?
What happens when opponents by accident mangle an opposition player, he get weeks.
Any one see the silliness, of over doing the political correct "aren't we nice" in a contact sport????

It is a contact sport ? Yes? No?
Unfortunately there are no Herald Sun stats (at least in the paper) as it seems they’re now printing earlier and as such there’s not a word about the game in the paper today. Which is pretty extraordinary.

I'm sure that's true but why even put him out there?
Why use Chrisso as MRO - especially when Pies are involved in a game?
Why use BT, James Brayshaw, Ling, Watson etc to commentate their team’s games?

It’s unavoidable.
Everyone involved in the game in anyway today has an interest in a particular team.

Unfortunately there are no Herald Sun stats (at least in the paper) as it seems they’re now printing earlier and as such there’s not a word about the game in the paper today. Which is pretty extraordinary.

Crazy thing is Saints Paid $100,000 to play that Game vs Collingwood at the MCG last night rather than play at docklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints host Essendon at marvel late in the season. Would saints pay $100,000 to play them at the MCG and get 50-60,000 at that game?
I imagine so, but it’s not that simple. We put in the request before the draw was released (apparently pretty late in the piece) and they granted the request. It’s not like they put out the draw and the game against Collingwood was to be at Marvel and then they changed it.

Saints host Essendon at marvel late in the season. Would saints pay $100,000 to play them at the MCG and get 50-60,000 at that game?

Our home ground is at Marvel, so we can't just move every game to the MCG.

Recently we were moving a home game each season to China or Cairns. This year and last year we've moved one to the MCG. Much better idea and so far, it's working better for us both on and off the field.

would Saints pay $100,000 again late in the season if it is against richmond or Hawks?
No, we did this because it was Spud’s game, and there would be more people donating to the DFC charity when there is 70k people attending

Back