Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 1 - Blues v Tigers Thurs March 14th 7:30pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont really get that logic, if the Tigers keep just one not even both of their KPDs on the field tonight we probably win, so not sure how the Blues should have won by 30+

That was my tip pregame but the game was a lot more competitive than I thought it would be
Yes the Blues played atrocious football all game, if they were playing a half decent side they would have lost by ten goals.

You forgot one

North tin rattling because they are small and weak
And another one

Richmond fans pretending they are the only team to ever suffer injuries or a debatable umpiring decision (and that anything that gifted them goals before the last 5 minutes doesn't matter).

I thought Carlton were unlucky not to be 4 goals up at half time.

People forget Richmond were just hanging on at that stage. We were deeply unlucky not to get to play the game out with Balta forward and a full complement. It happens.

I went to the footy stress free with a bunch of mates and remain so.

When you win a bunch of flags and have great success then you have to enjoy the journey on the other side. That's where we're at, despite all the wishes or hopes otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont really get that logic, if the Tigers keep just one not even both of their KPDs on the field tonight we probably win, so not sure how the Blues should have won by 30+

That was my tip pregame but the game was a lot more competitive than I thought it would be
It sucks losing KPDs but Gibcus and Young weren't points of difference. Losing Balta and Nank would've been terminal for instance. Look at Carlton's defence without Weitering. Yes, there were less rotations but only one - a cooked Prestia - came from midfield or the flanks.

The defensive reshuffling with Grimes, one of Vlastuin and Broad playing tall and one of Nank or Balta floating back as a spare from ruck worked at least as well on Curnow and McKay as when Young/Gibcus were on the field. Which is to say, not very well, but if anything the rest of Richmond's defence stood up more after the absences.

Is that prestias first time with hamstring troubles?

Vine Wtf GIF

It sucks losing KPDs but Gibcus and Young weren't points of difference. Losing Balta and Nank would've been terminal for instance. Look at Carlton's defence without Weitering. Yes, there were less rotations but only one - a cooked Prestia - came from midfield or the flanks.

The defensive reshuffling with Grimes, one of Vlastuin and Broad playing tall and one of Nank or Balta floating back as a spare from ruck worked at least as well on Curnow and McKay as when Young/Gibcus were on the field. Which is to say, not very well, but if anything the rest of Richmond's defence stood up more after the ababsences.
The flow on effect of losing them is the reason,
We have fewer rotations and legs
Balta needs to go back more
Non KPD players are asked to play that role
Pickett needs to move into back up ruck
With Balta not forward, Lynch is now the only tall target
Carlton weapons are their 2 big forwards and a KPD is probably one of the harder players to replace against them

I could go on but it's a lot more nuanced than just the name on paper missing.

Everyone potting Carlton as "lucky" lmao.

Collingwood 2022/2023 vibes for me, they're finding a way in tough games early on. Good signs for them, improved a lot and shaping up for a Top 4 season which means every chance to win a flag.
Even if we play ordinary like we did tonight it is good to see us holding on at the end of games.

Complete far cry from what cost us finals in 2022.

You can see in this game, last weeks game and the two finals we won that they’ve learned a lot from that.

Selwood is horrible with the special comments. Absolutely nothing new or insightful so far.
Totally unsurprising.

Don’t get how anyone could spend 5 minutes listening to that guy and think he makes a good commentator.

Only going to get worse and worse as the personalities continue to die out and more robotic ex players join the media.

The flow on effect of losing them is the reason,
We have fewer rotations and legs
Balta needs to go back more
Non KPD players are asked to play that role
Pickett needs to move into back up ruck
With Balta not forward, Lynch is now the only tall target
Carlton weapons are their 2 big forwards and a KPD is probably one of the harder players to replace against them

I could go on but it's a lot more nuanced than just the name on paper missing.
I get how lack of rotations works, it happened to Geelong a few times last year. We used to get called cry babies for bringing up in-game injuries.

I thought Balta was good in ruck and pushing back in defence too.

Let's not pretend that Gibcus and Young were coping well early or are elite. I stand by the reshuffle doing at least as well. You had a combination of Grimes, Broad, Vlastuin, Nank and Balta chipping in.

So the net effect was a lack of fresh legs. Richmond's desperation vs Carlton's laziness cancelled that out.

After the game, Voss talked about being very aware of this weird fixturing with two games and a bye, and decided to have a big block of training in the lead up to round 0, knowing that they'd have a rest in Round 3.
So it's not surprising that after what must have been a crazy effort to come from 46 points down at the Gabba, they looked a bit flat last night.
Fair play to Richmond, they seriously put in. But as a Carlton person I'm not too worried about where we're at right now.
Clearly also trying a couple of things.... looking to score more from transition instead of relying on scoring from contests. But would be nice to do that without completely forgetting how to win at the contest.
Feels good to be 2-0 with fingers crossed important players to come back and still building into the season.

Back