Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 2 - Swans v Bombers Sat March 23rd 7:30pm AEDT (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I think the bombers will surprise a few this year
We need to get ridley and redman back asap.
Interestingly, someone will be stiff with parish back (suspect its hobbs).

Need another marking fwd. Hopefully nate caddy can come in soon and have an impact

If Essendon can bring that sort of intensity for a majority of the season they should be close to playing finals they were terrific tonight for a large majority of the game.

They outworked and outran and were clean around the ground.

They conceded 36 scoring shots, couldnt have done too much outworking. Also conceded 28 last week against what looks to be a very bad Hawks team. They do a fair bit right, but they cant challenge for finals unless they tighten up the defence across the ground a lot.

They mock shiel for being soft
Then sook when we show some physicality.

Short memories too. Only 2 years ago rowbottom went the snipe on merrett.

Lol… check the scoreboard Comrade.

… and enjoy squealing about theMRO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to get ridley and redman back asap.
Interestingly, someone will be stiff with parish back (suspect its hobbs).

Need another marking fwd. Hopefully nate caddy can come in soon and have an impact
Hopefully Harry Jones comes good. Looked really good in his first(?) season.

Bombers pressure good, but they need to run more.

If I were Brad Scott I would have them run laps
Defending on transition from a kick out or turn over our biggest issue right now and has been for years. So many of Sydney's goals went the the length of the ground with not one Essendon player in the area. It's bloody frustrating to watch especially after we worked so hard for a goal and we give up a cheap easy goal to the opposistion in return

Don't think these group of players have ever been flogged in runnin. If were Brad this pre season nothing but cardio,gut running,laps all summer.

Last edited:
Got a friend's SCG Members ticket tonight and was watching from high up at the Randwick end and noticed a few things I thought worth sharing:

1. Essendon were really stagnant moving the ball forwards and often didn't take the handball option off the mark. The Swans are setup VERY well in defence, but there just wasn't enough options to switch or get the ball moving.

2. The Swans gut-running is pretty impressive to watch. I don't think the Bombers gave up like some of the Collingwood efforts highlighted during the week, but there were times they were just unable to go with their opponents. The Swans spread so hard and so fast, there were lots of gaps opening up that led to undependable forward 50 entries. But I actually think something else is to blame ...

3. Poor defensive setup. Whether this was a coaching strategy or not, the Bombers defenders were seemingly never goalside of the Swans and got killed on turnovers and fast ball movement out of the Sydney D50. McKay was often rolling back to fill the hole down the line but was almost always in the wrong position and easily bypassed. I'm sure there will be a very different tactic employed next time the two teams meet.

4. The biggest divide between the two teams was footskills. Far too often, the Essendon players floated their kicks up a bit too high and gave the Swans time to shut them down. Or they didn't kick out in front of the leading player or even just to their advantage side of the contest. This happened at both ends of the ground and was infuriating to watch.

It was a pretty great game to watch though. Both teams were having a proper crack and with the history between the two sides, I wasn't sitting comfortably until far later in the game (basically the last 7 or 8 minutes) than I would've liked.

To put it simply. The Essendon Football Clubs defence is washed up. They have been for years. What do you expect when Ben McKay and Laverde are your best key backs (Ridley doesn’t play KP)

Back