AFL allocates Zones to Victorian Teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn is the club best served to successfully service the eastern corridor with all its infrastructure. The richer clubs are all better placed to service the regionalised areas (hence the Pies, Dons, Hawks and Cats carved up NT)

The AFL have essentiallt swapped Melbourne's and St Kilda's traditional zones which is puzzling

I suspect St Kilda, North and perhaps Richmond and Carlton will carve out Tasmania. The AFL dont even want Hawthorn down there playing games
Melbourne has pumped money into Casey and beyond for years. Scorps are virtually run by the MFC and the club puts a load of community work in.

Meanwhile, St Kilda did build Seaford...

Dees also got the Alice because of their work with the remote communities and their commitment to NT footy.

QBE are our major sponsor. THat is like saying Collingwood don't pay for their training facilities because they are sponsored by Emirates who give Collingwood a lot of money.

So you're saying the Swans pay...which means the AFL pays...

You satisfied with the number of players coming out of NSW & Q or is it a club thing that you object to .

The WA clubs plough money into the WAFC who develop the player pool & get nothing from it - zoning imposed by the AFL over the current arrangement wont produce more talent. If its got money to burn give it to the WAFC to stump up the current arrangements, but then there is the charade that is equalisation ( its a Melbourne problem based around the FIXture) - the AFL creating a problem, then muddying the water to fix a Melbourne problem.

It's a competition, it shouldn't be up tot he clubs to grow the game, their job is to try and win a premiership. It's got nothing to do with how many many coming out of certain states and everything to do with the AFL trying to manipulate the results

It's a competition, it shouldn't be up tot he clubs to grow the game, their job is to try and win a premiership. It's got nothing to do with how many many coming out of certain states and everything to do with the AFL trying to manipulate the results

People are complaining about how much worse the bottom teams are than the top teams and the reason for this is that there is not enough talent to spread across 18 clubs. In order to improve the talent pool there are only 2 options, 1. Remove several clubs from the competition or 2. Expand the talent pool.

Now 1 is not going to happen, so it has to be 2. The problem is that in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia Aussie Rules Football has reached near saturation, there is not a lot of growth there in terms of finding more players. The only growth areas are NSW and QLD, both states having produced way fewer players than they are capable of. If the AFL can get a combined total of 15 to 20 NSW and QLD players drafted every year then it will help the AFL in general a lot. It will make the weaker clubs a lot stronger.

Why I don't believe its in footys best interest in WA (or nationally) to impose rights to players to the Dockers or Eagles - whilst the WAFL comp is a relic of yesteryear, it provides the structure for development across WA, not just Perth & surrounds - why would the AFL announce the Vic changes in isolation - SNAFU again, & its not got anything to do with whats best for the game.

I agree the AFL clubs shouldn't be growing the game across Australia, with the game (the AFL) bankrolling the development.

The manipulation factor is undeniable, as is its failure (the manipulation) on so many fronts.

Think we agree on the basics in this Marc.

So who refunds QBE ?

QBE does it for the same reason any advertiser does anything...To sell their product. I dare say their logo is in many places and on any paperwork that goes out and that would be a separate thing to their Swans sponsorship (after all, aren't we told how the academy is for people who aren't into footy already, thus making them a distinct market).

If it wasn't 'The Swans Academy' they (or someone else) would still sponsor it.

QBE does it for the same reason any advertiser does anything...To sell their product. I dare say their logo is in many places and on any paperwork that goes out and that would be a separate thing to their Swans sponsorship (after all, aren't we told how the academy is for people who aren't into footy already, thus making them a distinct market).

If it wasn't 'The Swans Academy' they (or someone else) would still sponsor it.

So QBE pay ... a meaningless quibble so like this one aren't we told how the academy is for people who aren't into footy already, thus making them a distinct market ... SNAFU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So QBE pay ... a meaningless quibble so like this one aren't we told how the academy is for people who aren't into footy already, thus making them a distinct market ... SNAFU.

Yes, the academies are a SNAFU.

Things have moved on at Clontarf since you last looked ranka, that'd be 10 years at least, so here is a link so you can see the status quo nationally - a footy club couldn't achieve the results Clontarf has
http://www.clontarf.org.au/academy/

Here is a 2nd link to sports other than footy
http://web.clontarf.wa.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2014-T3I1.pdf

Yeh, you were just kidding ....
Of course I was kidding,it wouldn't be fair to lock all that talent into 2 teams and the last time I looked was on Monday arvo when I signed the forms for the young fella.They went fishing on Thursday.
Cheers for the links though it's good to see the Clontarf model kicking goals Australia wide

Of course I was kidding,it wouldn't be fair to lock all that talent into 2 teams and the last time I looked was on Monday arvo when I signed the forms for the young fella.They went fishing on Thursday.
Cheers for the links though it's good to see the Clontarf model kicking goals Australia wide

So the Clontarf Foundation continues its good work & along comes an AFL Club & freeloads .... whats wrong with going in to the draft pool? Imagine the AFL letting us all know, the problem clearly is the AFL have no plan at all.

Last edited:
So the Clontarf Foundation continues its good work & along comes an AFL Club & freeloads .... whats wrong with going in to the draft pool? Imagine the AFL letting us all know, the problem clearly is the AFL have no plan at all.

You seem OK with the northern clubs freeloading...

Why not just have the various state bodies (mostly AFL subsidiaries) handle development within their states, with the Northern bodies subsidised to help boost them up, and any players considered good enough to play AFL enter the draft where clubs select them in reverse order of the previous years ladder...

You seem OK with the northern clubs freeloading...

Why not just have the various state bodies (mostly AFL subsidiaries) handle development within their states, with the Northern bodies subsidised to help boost them up, and any players considered good enough to play AFL enter the draft where clubs select them in reverse order of the previous years ladder...

Given the WA clubs would probably benefit most .... IMHO developing the game requires different settings to the traditional heartland, i.e academies & priority picks ... development is not just money .... strong supporter of the direction of the status quo in WA, cant understand why Vic clubs don't support Vic AFL footy in the same way, other than the obvious !!

Given the WA clubs would probably benefit most .... IMHO developing the game requires different settings to the traditional heartland, i.e academies & priority picks ... development is not just money .... strong supporter of the direction of the status quo in WA, cant understand why Vic clubs don't support Vic AFL footy in the same way, other than the obvious !!

Because instead of the WA clubs 'just' funding WAFC, the Vic clubs fund the AFL and thus pay for development in 4 states?

Because instead of the WA clubs 'just' funding WAFC, the Vic clubs fund the AFL and thus pay for development in 4 states?
Hope you're not including WA in that 'four states' condecending rhetorical question.

Understand your state pride, but you seem to give off the impression that the AFL could survive without interstate clubs. Just imagine the immense good and potbetial Victoria could do for the game if the Vic clubs bankrolled the state in the manner WA and SA do.

Not across the Vic clubs funding Vic footy, see the AFR article below outlining the Eagles & WA footy. Perhaps you can point to the similar revenue line in AFL Vic - we all know the models are different, even you telsor, even you. Arguably the AFL contribution is simply a distribution of funds earned by the comp not calculable by club, ergo includes a contribution by all clubs even WA.

The AFR referred to the Eagles last September
.. about $4.5 million in 2014, the Eagles' profit is among the biggest in the entire AFL, after it pays $6.4 million in rent and royalties to the West Australian Football Commission.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/mining-downturn-hits-west-coast-eagles-profits-20150904-gjfbwb#ixzz3zTSzJfNX

People are complaining about how much worse the bottom teams are than the top teams and the reason for this is that there is not enough talent to spread across 18 clubs. In order to improve the talent pool there are only 2 options, 1. Remove several clubs from the competition or 2. Expand the talent pool.

Now 1 is not going to happen, so it has to be 2. The problem is that in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and Western Australia Aussie Rules Football has reached near saturation, there is not a lot of growth there in terms of finding more players. The only growth areas are NSW and QLD, both states having produced way fewer players than they are capable of. If the AFL can get a combined total of 15 to 20 NSW and QLD players drafted every year then it will help the AFL in general a lot. It will make the weaker clubs a lot stronger.

That's ridiculous, you're saying that there is a problem with the talent spread between the good and bad teams so your solution is to hand one of the top teams arguably the best talent in the draft for two years straight for next to nothing. Yes that's right, let's make the weak teams stronger by giving the strong teams like Sydney the best kids in the draft.

Only on bigfooty would this argument be used.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back