Recruiting AFL Draft Watch 2022 - Tsatas, Hayes, Davey x2, Munkara & Montgomerie

Who should we take with Pick 4? (Pick 2)

• Tsatas

Votes: 60 27.9%
  • Humphrey

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Phillipou

Votes: 109 50.7%
  • Clark

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick links: Player Contract Status | Trade & Free Agency 2022 | JHA Father/Son and NGA | Adrian Dodoro

0093895D-8D9D-4EFD-93DB-32FA70C2A596.jpeg

Last edited:
I am going into this draft with an open mind. Not set on anyone.
Need a KPF. Cadman.
Need a small forward Sheezal.
Need a big midfielder. Phillipou.
Needs leadership. Clarke.
Need a classy clearance midfielder. Tsatis.
Need a fearsome hard nut. George.
I could mention more.
Needs flaky flanker with potential to play midfielder aka the Dodoro special circa 2013

Needs flaky flanker with potential to play midfielder aka the Dodoro special circa 2013
giphy.gif

Groundhog day is no longer required :cool:

Cadmans kicking is fine. A lot of his missed shots come from the fact he’s winning the ball at ground level more than most key forwards and snapping under pressure. These are shots that just wouldn’t be generated by most keys. His set shots are good without being a stand out.

His set shots are average at best and his technique is poor.

His set shots are average at best and his technique is poor.

On current form he's kicked 10.3 the last month from set shots. Only one set shot behind vs Eastern Ranges was high percentage. Needs to kick through them a bit more but his hip alignment and momentum is straight. His first set shot from the weekend was in close but it was perfect. Seems to sometimes step out to his left to get range and angle which seems to pull them.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or is it a bit silly to potentially bring in both Sheezel and Davey?

Sheezel, Davey and Perkins all sound very similar type players.

I would rather have a genuine mid with the first pick and then Davey.
this has been my thinking for some time now. I really like what Harry projects to be but if Alwyn is of similar style then hopefully Adrian & Co. do what's best for the list. IF that means overlooking, so be it.

Is it just me, or is it a bit silly to potentially bring in both Sheezel and Davey?

Sheezel, Davey and Perkins all sound very similar type players.

I would rather have a genuine mid with the first pick and then Davey.

It's Stevie J, Chapman and Stokes or Martin, Caddy and Bolton. It's fine if not downright desirable.

WCE fans have already spotted the opportunity to split the pick 2 for multiple picks. Gold Coast looks prime to be able to do the deal if Rankine is traded for Crows pick 6. But they might try and get him with the high frontended offer idk. But potentially WCE get 5 & 7 for 2 and 2nd rounder.
Who could GC take at #2 who would be better than Buslinger and one of Phillipou/MacKenzie/Humphrey?
Ultimatly it depends what your getting in return for it as to whether its a good decision or not. Id say the value of our F1 has increased. Most teams would see us as a certain bottom 3-5 side next year ie top 3-5 pick
We had 11 wins in 2021 and have only lost Walla & Hooker, while gaining Martin, Hobbs and experience. We should have a much more benign draw than 2022 next year and more team cohesion.

Unless we trade out multiple senior players we’d be a Monty to get more wins next year.
Agreed.

It's hard to determine value until years after. To maximize potential value I think we need to split picks more often. It'll take a brave list manager but I'd love to see us turn a pick into 3-4 picks. Adelaide could have easily done this in 2019-2020, they turned the Lachie Ash pick 4 into pick 6 & a future first (pick 11). Unfortunately they took McCasey and Pedlar.

Same draft Carlton traded pick 9 for 17 and 20. Had Adelaide traded again that pick 6 for a similar trade as Carlton they could have easily turned pick 4 into Sam De Koning, Devon Robertson and Ollie Henry.
Those kinds of deals are incredibly rare, and usually driven by the other side.
I’m annoyed that GWS finished below us. With Taranto and Hopper both possibly leaving, it means they’ll almost certainly draft a mid. Probably one that we’re looking to draft.
Unlikely. They can’t fit all their mids in now and have kids like Callaghan in the wings. Sheezel or Cadman would suit them perfectly.
i think the worst case scenario for us becomes
1-Ashcroft (BL)
2-Sheezel (North)
3-Wardlaw (WCE)
4-Tsatas (GWS)

Leaves Clark as the best mid, but on the shorter side or McKenzie, who is probably a rung below (but i also quite like) .
Just take Phillipou. Multiple watchers have rated him #1 at various times this year and fits our needs to a tee.

Unlikely. They can’t fit all their mids in now and have kids like Callaghan in the wings. Sheezel or Cadman would suit them perfectly.
Fair enough, although Cadman is an interesting prospect if we do somehow manage to attract Dunkley (assuming that we keep pick 4).

Those kinds of deals are incredibly rare, and usually driven by the other side.
Agreed. It’s really dependent on the talent available. Apparently we had an offer last year from Richmond for the Hobbs pick.

Also think we would have the option this year with our pick rounding out the pointy end of the draft. With all the player movement likely to happen I think a few teams will have multiple firsts.

Agreed. It’s really dependent on the talent available. Apparently we had an offer last year from Richmond for the Hobbs pick.

Also think we would have the option this year with our pick rounding out the pointy end of the draft. With all the player movement likely to happen I think a few teams will have multiple firsts.
I could see GC offering #7 plus say a second for #4 so they could take Tsatas and Buslinger. If we were happy with Phillipou or Mackenzie over Tsatas it would make sense to do that.

I could see GC offering #7 plus say a second for #4 so they could take Tsatas and Buslinger. If we were happy with Phillipou or Mackenzie over Tsatas it would make sense to do that.

Their future first might be up for grabs too. They have a highly rated KPF, Jed Walter, in their academy next year and I assume they will be planning on finals.

Their future first might be up for grabs too. They have a highly rated KPF, Jed Walter, in their academy next year and I assume they will be planning on finals.
I think after Collingwood nobody will be willing to risk that so early again. Better to wait and see what you can get.

7 and 25 for 4 is certainly something to think about. We can then package 22 and 25 for a good pick, say Brisbane's first and a 3rd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think after Collingwood nobody will be willing to risk that so early again. Better to wait and see what you can get.

7 and 25 for 4 is certainly something to think about. We can then package 22 and 25 for a good pick, say Brisbane's first and a 3rd
If we could turn 4, 22 and 40 into 7, 13-15 and 31-33, id do that.

Or turn lions 1st into dunkley.

I'd be happy with that.

I think teams will still do it. There will always be people with urgency to improve, coaches or list managers with jobs on the line. GC/Dew are probably getting to that point, willing to take a risk that has an element of coverage with Walter. Given the Rankine out, I think they'd be willing to make a play as long as Sheezel is on the board. Immediately replace that structure. If they are down the bottom of the ladder next year, heads will roll.

Last edited:
We had 11 wins in 2021 and have only lost Walla & Hooker, while gaining Martin, Hobbs and experience. We should have a much more benign draw than 2022 next year and more team cohesion.

Unless we trade out multiple senior players we’d be a Monty to get more wins next year.
What would you have the line at then?

Watched the Murray v Sandy game today, saw Dodoro in the stands keeping an eye on the top end talent of Ashcroft, Sheezel, McKenzie, Hotton, George & Holland.

Ashcroft is just smooth, didn't look to get out of 2nd gear and was at every contest
His younger brother Levi (15yrs old) also played and didn't look out of place would have finished with a couple of goals.

Sheezel is all class, fair bit of Rozee about him. He was reasonably well held today but would have finished with 2.3ish but looked like he was could tear the game apart at anytime.

McKenzie did well but looks raw to me, you can see what people see in him but looks to have some development ( body & game) still to go.

Hotton played a solid game without being outstanding.

I really liked what I saw of Holland, hard-working crash and bash that plays with real intensity and purpose.

Unfortunately George went down with what looked like a fairly serious knee injury in the 1st quarter which was a shame as he was just coming back from a long term meniscus injury.

Cracking day of footy with the sun out and no wind which is rare for the picturesque Williamstown oval.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watched the Murray v Sandy game today, saw Dodoro in the stands keeping an eye on the top end talent of Ashcroft, Sheezel, McKenzie, Hotton, George & Holland.

Ashcroft is just smooth, didn't look to get out of 2nd gear and was at every contest
His younger brother Levi (15yrs old) also played and didn't look out of place would have finished with a couple of goals.

Sheezel is all class, fair bit of Rozee about him. He was reasonably well held today but would have finished with 2.3ish but looked like he was could tear the game apart at anytime.

McKenzie did well but looks raw to me, you can see what people see in him but looks to have some development ( body & game) still to go.

Hotton played a solid game without being outstanding.

I really liked what I saw of Holland, hard-working crash and bash that plays with real intensity and purpose.

Unfortunately George went down with what looked like a fairly serious knee injury in the 1st quarter which was a shame as he was just coming back from a long term meniscus injury.

Cracking day of footy with the sun out and no wind which is rare for the picturesque Williamstown oval.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hollands would be a nice one if we get a mid teens pick via trading up.

Im not say trade Parish but I'd trade Parish if I had to pick a player to trade out. I think if you are rebuilding might as well do it proper and this draft has bit of everything in it. Also Parish is out of contract end of next year, so trading him whilst he has value makes sense. A team like Saints with pick 9 would surely be interested, Hawks would be better with pick 6.

WCE fans have already spotted the opportunity to split the pick 2 for multiple picks. Gold Coast looks prime to be able to do the deal if Rankine is traded for Crows pick 6. But they might try and get him with the high frontended offer idk. But potentially WCE get 5 & 7 for 2 and 2nd rounder.
Why on earth would you trade 5 and 7 for 2. Unless there was 2 clear stand outs and then a gap back to next group, and you were guaranteed one them. Say JHF and Daicos last year if he was open draft. With such an even group behind Ashcroft, the smart thing to do would be to take kids at 5 and 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back