Covertackle

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2012
Ipswich
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Dees
The RL Origin game wont kick off till after 8pm. My kids will be ready for bed by then and I may well fall asleep during the game. The NRL have made another blunder by scheduling the game so late at night. If the AFL were to introduce a series to compete on the night with the NRL Origin series, and schedule kick off for 7pm at night, I know for a fact a lot of people will switch on to that game instead, if only because the kids will still be awake....

Perhaps it could be a yearly on off match, or it could be 3?

Victoria is the biggest Populated AFL state. No State stand alone can be expected to compete with them. So if all states were invited to participate in providing players, it would strengthen the team, and add interest from all the other states, where a Vic vs SA may not.

Taking from Rugby, the 'Barbarians' theme all states should be asked to supply a set number of players depending on population and strength of the code in that state. I have allotted players per each state as follows.

22 players.

SA; 5
WA; 5
TAS; 3
QLD; 3
NSW, ACT; 3
NT; 3

3 Games, MCG, alternate the 2nd and 3rd game between QLD, WA, SA, TAS, NT, NSW.

Thoughts?

The RL Origin game wont kick off till after 8pm. My kids will be ready for bed by then and I may well fall asleep during the game. The NRL have made another blunder by scheduling the game so late at night. If the AFL were to introduce a series to compete on the night with the NRL Origin series, and schedule kick off for 7pm at night, I know for a fact a lot of people will switch on to that game instead, if only because the kids will still be awake....

Victoria is the biggest Populated AFL state. No State stand alone can be expected to compete with them. So if all states were invited to participate in providing players, it would strengthen the team, and add interest from all the other states, where a Vic vs SA may not.

Taking from Rugby, the 'Barbarians' theme all states should be asked to supply a set number of players depending on population and strength of the code in that state. I have allotted players per each state as follows.

22 players.

SA; 5
WA; 5
TAS; 3
QLD; 3
NSW, ACT; 3
NT; 3

Thoughts?

Crap, sorry.

I am not interested in AFL SOO or something similar, and FWIW i am possibly the only person alive that actually liked the AFL/GAA composite rules games, albeit with some rule changes.

I thought the games were open, free running and entertaining, although i must admit from several years ago.

I would prefer to see the AFL season extended by a couple of weeks and no SOO.

Wont happen.

By and large, Victorians don't care about SOO except as an occasional aside, and other states only care if they have their own team and get to play against Victoria (at home, with every advantage they can squeeze in in order to even it up).

Really? Which part is wrong?

Just your usual generalised & inflammatory way of explanation. They only 'right' bit is that other states only care if they have their own team. Well it it SOO isnt it.
Not everyone thinks they have to play at the MCG. I bet the SA guys would love a crack at the Vics on the new Adelaide Oval. What do you mean by ' squeeze every advantage to even it up'. I thought it was the Vics who played Irish born players!

22 players.

SA; 5
WA; 5
TAS; 3
QLD; 3
NSW, ACT; 3
NT; 3

Thoughts?
I'll be the lone dissenter to common opinion here. I think this is the best SOO idea i've read on BF so far.

Most non-Vic sides hate the Vics, but while WA and SA could field reasonably competitive teams, NSW and QLD can't. Unless you want a 4 team comp (the logisitcs would be too hard), then a barbarians side isn't a bad idea.

Just your usual generalised & inflammatory way of explanation. They only 'right' bit is that other states only care if they have their own team. Well it it SOO isnt it.
Not everyone thinks they have to play at the MCG. I bet the SA guys would love a crack at the Vics on the new Adelaide Oval. What do you mean by ' squeeze every advantage to even it up'. I thought it was the Vics who played Irish born players!

I didn't say they wanted to play at the MCG, indeed, they generally want to play Victoria at home (see getting every advantage) because that's where they think they might win, while at the MCG they'll almost certainly lose.

Victorians don't care because they can't really win...It's like fighting your little brother, if you win you were always expected to so it's no big deal and any bragging rights are just meaningless. If you lose, they'll never let you forget it.

WA & SA only want to play Victoria and the rest, well, they're just praying they get a game where they wont be flogged and in the grand scheme of things, nobody else cares about them.

We had this basically in 2008 when Victoria played the All Stars which was a good game from memory. From an on-field perspective it's a beauty with basically a 50/50 split in the game's playing talent. The 2008 match rated very well in Victoria but unsurprisingly only modestly outside, because the other states aren't much interested in a combined team. I wouldn't mind seeing this game repeated every four years or so to give players a couple of chances of rep football in their careers.

We had this basically in 2008 when Victoria played the All Stars which was a good game from memory. From an on-field perspective it's a beauty with basically a 50/50 split in the game's playing talent. The 2008 match rated very well in Victoria but unsurprisingly only modestly outside, because the other states aren't much interested in a combined team. I wouldn't mind seeing this game repeated every four years or so to give players a couple of chances of rep football in their careers.

If they want SOO then play the big 3 against each other in turn, then the others can play each other in turn in a 2nd div. Play 2 games every other year ie Vic SA & SA WA & then WA Vic, so 2 games each. They are exhibition matches after all. Its not like the game relies on it for survival, like NRL do.
The Allies concept was stupid. Div 2 is NSW/ACT, Qld/NT, Tas.

Until playing for your state means more than winning a premiership, forget it.
SOO worked pre AFL due to strong state leagues with high attendances and a high level of interest. Playing for your state was the highest level of footy a player could achieve and the birth of a national comp killed that almost immediately. It used to be great watching local players topped up with a few home grown VFL players mix it up with the Vics and winning our fair share. It made state footy relevant again for a few years. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you wish Aussie rules footy to operate, we won't see SOO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until playing for your state means more than winning a premiership, forget it.
SOO worked pre AFL due to strong state leagues with high attendances and a high level of interest. Playing for your state was the highest level of footy a player could achieve and the birth of a national comp killed that almost immediately. It used to be great watching local players topped up with a few home grown VFL players mix it up with the Vics and winning our fair share. It made state footy relevant again for a few years. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you wish Aussie rules footy to operate, we won't see SOO.

You are quite correct. The Selfishness of the players & clubs is the hallmark of the AFL. Representitive football requires you to care for something other than yourself. Also requires the clubs to think of the game & the community. I guess thats the end of that then

Horrible, horrible idea. An insult to every other state.

I thought the OP was overly polite with the name, "Barbarians"

I could think of more accurate, more insulting names for West Australians and South Australians :D

I'd love to see the season reduced to 17 games for H&A club competition and a larger State of Origin series fill the void (actually I'd love to see the season just simply reduced to 17 games and something else fill the void, SoO, FA Cup styled event with AFL/state league teams, anything. Really need 17 games for fixture equalisation purposes).
I feel we need some kind of representative football involved in our game, the problem is the clubs obviously don't for their own purposes. But State of Origin has to mean something first. And sadly a large State of Origin series every year would be overkill and clubs would ruin it. Maybe a tournament after the season has finished (month of October) every 3/4 years perhaps is the best way to go?

Format for example:
*Two groups of 4 - Each team plays at least 3 matches.
*Semi Finals - Winner Group A V Runner-Up Group B, Winner Group B V Runner-Up Group A
*Final

Essentially 15 games all up, each team plays a maximum of 5 and a minimum of 3. You don't really want it to drag out for too long, but yet you need every team involved to make it work. The tournament also happens rarely enough to have clubs cool with it and it happens rarely enough to make it 'special'.
---
In the in-between years you could have 3 State of Origin matches (WA V SA, SA V Vic, Vic V WA, A Tri-series essentially) a year to keep the interest going in representative football or something?

I'd love to see the season reduced to 17 games for H&A club competition and a larger State of Origin series fill the void (actually I'd love to see the season just simply reduced to 17 games and something else fill the void, SoO, FA Cup styled event with AFL/state league teams, anything. Really need 17 games for fixture equalisation purposes).
I feel we need some kind of representative football involved in our game, the problem is the clubs obviously don't for their own purposes. But State of Origin has to mean something first. And sadly a large State of Origin series every year would be overkill and clubs would ruin it. Maybe a tournament after the season has finished (month of October) every 3/4 years perhaps is the best way to go?

Format for example:
*Two groups of 4 - Each team plays at least 3 matches.
*Semi Finals - Winner Group A V Runner-Up Group B, Winner Group B V Runner-Up Group A
*Final

Essentially 15 games all up, each team plays a maximum of 5 and a minimum of 3. You don't really want it to drag out for too long, but yet you need every team involved to make it work. The tournament also happens rarely enough to have clubs cool with it and it happens rarely enough to make it 'special'.
---
In the in-between years you could have 3 State of Origin matches (WA V SA, SA V Vic, Vic V WA, A Tri-series essentially) a year to keep the interest going in representative football or something?

Except it's not just the clubs holding it back. Players don't want the extra workload either (and even if they cut to a 17 game season, playing upto 22 games when others play 17 is extra workload).

Except it's not just the clubs holding it back. Players don't want the extra workload either (and even if they cut to a 17 game season, playing upto 22 games when others play 17 is extra workload).
This is why you need to make State of Origin special and "worth it" - otherwise it won't work.

What are you trying to achieve?? An all star match like the USA sports? If so there is no real incentive for the all stars but the Vic players have great incentive to play for the guernsey and history.

If you want the NSW v Qld RL style passion and where playersprepared to belt a club team mate mentality then it has to be state vs state not state vs all star

I'd love a one off game to open the new Perth Stadium.

What ever the Vics say, a midfield of O'Meara, Bennell, Fyfe, Martin, Swallow, Coniglio and the Hill brothers with Naitanui in the ruck would not be uncompetitive

Now this might be the way to bring it back in a limited form. In 2015 SA vs Vic at Adelaide Oval and 2018 or 19 WA v Vic and the Vic's can pick when they want to play a game at the MCG and against whom they want to.

22 players.

SA; 5
WA; 5
TAS; 3
QLD; 3
NSW, ACT; 3
NT; 3

Thoughts?
I think I speak for every non-Victorian when I say F*** OFF

I would love SoO to be back, but it has to be state v state. No conglomerations (though spoecial rules would be needed for ACT and International Origin players). Yes, Victoria should win the bulk of the time but would get beaten occasionally by WA and SA.

I think I speak for every non-Victorian when I say F*** OFF

I would love SoO to be back, but it has to be state v state. No conglomerations (though spoecial rules would be needed for ACT and International Origin players). Yes, Victoria should win the bulk of the time but would get beaten occasionally by WA and SA.

Even by ACT on the odd occasion.

The Match was played at Manuka Oval Canberra on July 6 1980. The Score was ACT 13 17 (95) to Vic 11 16 (82).

Cowboy Neale who was Captain Coach of Aisnlie at the time was also Captain Coach of the ACT.

The Victorius ACT team ....

Martin Smith, Ron Davey, John Miller, Brett Hannam, Charlie Smith, Hans Heystraten, Kevin Neale, Jack McCormick, Ken Stone, Martin Smith (Ainslie )

Trevor White, Geoff Harold, Peter Feltham, Paul Feltham (West Canberra)

John McEwan, Keith Miller, T Rickman, (Eastlake)

Peter Williamson, James Black, (Queanbeyan)

Robert Anderson (Queanbeyan - Footscray)

Peter Kenny (Manuka - Carlton)

Alex Jesaulenko (Eastlake - Carlton)

Ian Lowe (Manuka - Footscray)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back