AFL Players and recreational drugs: Don't ask, don't tell?

Remove this Banner Ad

I just keep laughing every time the AFL comes out and says recreational drugs are not a problem and our 3 strikes policy works. What a load of crap.

The AFL policy on recreational drugs is designed purely to protect the image of the AFL by ensuring players don't get caught 3 times and protecting the AFL marketing by not have star players dragged publicly through the mud that is recreational drug use amongst our stars. Recreational drug use amongst AFL players especially in the off season is absolutely rife and runs at a rate during the off season at a level much higher than social norms. It's pretty easy to see why too, young males with a truck load of cash, have egos the size of a semi trailer and looking for ways to enough the cash with their mates.

The longer the AFL tries to deny it the bigger the problem and damage will be when it finally has to do so. The NRL is trying to deal with it and in recent years has been quite open and honest about the problem, sure it gives them some bad PR but at least they have the balls to deal with it, the AFL's only care is about its public image and ability to generate revenue. The AFL is money driven and the bonuses to the top execs are centred solely around bums on seats at AFL games, membership levels and total revenue.

I just keep laughing every time the AFL comes out and says recreational drugs are not a problem and our 3 strikes policy works. What a load of crap.

The AFL policy on recreational drugs is designed purely to protect the image of the AFL by ensuring players don't get caught 3 times and protecting the AFL marketing by not have star players dragged publicly through the mud that is recreational drug use amongst our stars. Recreational drug use amongst AFL players especially in the off season is absolutely rife and runs at a rate during the off season at a level much higher than social norms. It's pretty easy to see why too, young males with a truck load of cash, have egos the size of a semi trailer and looking for ways to enough the cash with their mates.

The longer the AFL tries to deny it the bigger the problem and damage will be when it finally has to do so. The NRL is trying to deal with it and in recent years has been quite open and honest about the problem, sure it gives them some bad PR but at least they have the balls to deal with it, the AFL's only care is about its public image and ability to generate revenue. The AFL is money driven and the bonuses to the top execs are centred solely around bums on seats at AFL games, membership levels and total revenue.

That's an interesting claim amongst some of your others, do you have a link for that claim.

That's an interesting claim amongst some of your others, do you have a link for that claim.
It's called working in nightclubs and knowing exactly what I am seeing with my own eyes. Some use it during the season, but in the offseason the use spikes along with the presence of players in nightclubs.

If the AFL really didn't think that it existed then there would not be a self-reporting clause inside the recreational drug use policy that exempts them from testing then would there.

I don't particularly see any problem with players enjoying some of their hard earned by snorting it up their noses.

You can bet half the executives of the corporate sponsors get into it on occasion, while tut-tutting and withdrawing support when players get caught with it.

In fact, we are one of the highest per-capita cocaine consumers - everybody is doing it. No doubt some people are putting in more than their share of the work, but so what?

Is it any of our business what substances other people put into their bodies if they do no harm to other people while on the gear?
couldn't agree more.

Nothing more than a moral panic whipped up to fuel the indignation of the righteous. Get the * out

I'll back Slax up on this one...

I worked for years in the industry, particularly nightclubs, plus I have a ton of mates still working. It is rampant. Fact.

Quite a few of them are not very discreet either.

EDIT; I can only talk about Melbourne, sorry...dunno what goes on elsewhere, but I'm sure it ain't too dissimilar...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have no issue with them funding bikies? And/or associating with them or possibly being indebted to them?

Don't ever go into a pub and buy a beer, then...the amount of venues across Melbourne that have bikie links would make your head spin...

Last edited:
If you've ever used coke or similar drugs you wouldn't argue they aren't performance enhancing.

Exactly. Look at the final scene of Scarface. Tony Montana was high as * and he was able to almost single handedly hold off a small army, even copping bullets without going down. They were sober as and he was still a more accurate shot too.

people are waking up, realising we live in Australia, the comfiest country on the planet for fat white privileged men, and these meatheads get paid shitloads, what else do you think they do with it?

To be honest I have zero sympathy for any player who gets a massive ban for using cocaine. These players are generally paid a lot more than they could ever expect to earn outside of the AFL and the rules of playing in the AFL are really simple and shouldn't be that hard to follow. If you like your $300,000 contract in the AFL and don't want to be earning $40,000 in some labouring job then don't do drugs. It is not that hard and if they can't follow it they should not be AFL players.

If you've ever used coke or similar drugs you wouldn't argue they aren't performance enhancing.

Melbourne are doing their 2016 preseason in Columbia

Don't ever go into a pub and buy a beer, then...the amount of venues across Melbourne that have bikie links would make your head spin...

Of course, but being in debt to a drug dealer or being able to be blackmailed by them isn't a great situation for a professional athlete.

And if your going to use the "don't do this then" analogy, don't sign a contract that requires certain types of behavior and lifestyle be adhered to.

056892-ben-cousins.jpg

Oh you guys!

The impact of coke on South Americans can't be underestimated.

Nobody wants to hear about dealers slitting the throats of familys of rival dealers. Brings down my buzz man!

(Im aware that this is a blanket statement and yeah the US has also a lot to blame for this)

Melbourne are doing their 2016 preseason in Columbia
I'm sure any performance enhancement would have worn off on the flight back to Melbourne.

A bit like what happens with Fremantle. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back