AFL Players and recreational drugs: Don't ask, don't tell?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll talk from the perspective of the league, since morally I'd probably be on a different side of the issue than most posters here (surprise, it's a board mainly of young males).

From the standpoint of the well being of the league, it's absolutely within reason for them to want to heavily discourage the use of cocaine by its players. Go read up on the NBA in the late 70s/early 80s. Cocaine swept through that league like a hurricane, destroying careers all over the place. The NBA didn't have any drug policy in place back then, and they were forced to introduce one.

As AFL salaries continue to increase, it's not going to just be the highly paid guys doing it. If the culture of drug-taking is allowed to take hold, in 5-10 years when the rookies are coming in on $200k and can suddenly afford a drug habit, they're going to start joining in. And that's how careers start to go down the toilet.

So even beyond the simple image issue, it's not within the best interests of the league to have its labour force on cocaine.

Last edited:
I have no personal issue with sportspeople getting on the gear, as long as they're not from my club. The recovery time after a night on the snort is only going to hamper performance.

I personally don't care about players taking recreational drugs. I did when i was younger so not gonna judge young men for doing the same. The only criticism they should face is if it effects their performance.

I have no personal issue with sportspeople getting on the gear, as long as they're not from my club. The recovery time after a night on the snort is only going to hamper performance.

I'm sure there are very good players from your club who get on it and pull up for training fine, don't worry about that. And these boys need to blow off some steam, let em do it, they can't drink too much cause of skin folds so they have to do something.

The blasé attitude to drug taking I must say is a little disturbing - I hope it never touches you on a personal level, I think then maybe your attitudes may change.

In saying that it doesn't change my opinion that what people do in their own time is their own business as long as it doesn't impact on others

I'm sure there are very good players from your club who get on it and pull up for training fine, don't worry about that. And these boys need to blow off some steam, let em do it, they can't drink too much cause of skin folds so they have to do something.
Not everyone has Ben Cousins' ability to train and play hard after a night on the snort. Based on my experiences, it's definitely performance degrading.

In today's news...
Defence counsel Michael Tovey, QC, said today medical testing had revealed Mr Woodhead had a pre-existing psychosis sparked by marijuana use.

The hearing was told that in the lead up to the killing he spoke of higher powers, a hierarchy of humanity and was obsessed with werewolves and vampires.

“He went from a young guy having fun and enjoying his friends’ company to a completely different person,” friend Matthew Caldwell said in a statement.

He...has pleaded not guilty to murder — arguing he was in a delusional and drug-addicted state before the stabbing.
Drugs are pretty cool, and this will never happen to you.

In today's news...

Drugs are pretty cool, and this will never happen to you.
Dope can bring out pre-existing conditions in people, and there is always the danger of people smoking it before their brains have fully developed, but the vast majority of users enjoy it with out many more problems than a bit of weight gain.

It's a different world nowadays. Society should be more tolerant I think of recreational drugs. Heck, alcohol is the worst drug of all. Moderation is the key.

Extremism and over-abuse in any form is the problem. Be it sex, drugs, alcohol, religion, over eating, power, politics, money, pr0n and the list goes on.

Exactly. The fact is it is a professional sport and these people are on mega bucks and live like rock stars. They are not ametuers who train twice a week and head to the pub after like in the old days. Coupled with the fact that weight is a massive issue and they now need to stay in peak condition 10 months of the year (training plus games) and a lot will be on it. Throughout human history most seek escapism by getting high. Alcohol with it's cheapness and availability, ease of production is the most common element but if that is out and money is at play you can bet something else will be used.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone is advocating substance abuse here, this discussion is under the assumption of moderation, much in the same way we would condone players to drink but not too the point where it becomes a problem. In that sense I have no problem with it, alcohol is just about the worst of the lot as far as i'm concerned. If they do it quietly and moderately, it's not hurting anyone, what's the harm?

On the other foot the AFL and clubs can't be seen to be advocating or turning a blind eye to players undertaking illegal activities. I'm sure on the whole they don't see it as a big issue but if it comes into the public eye they have to punish it. That can't change until recreational drugs are decriminalised.

I read Glen Campbell ( American singer) book - autobiography - he described cocaine ( because he was hooked on it for quite a while ) as the worse drug of the lot - basically said it nearly destroyed him

He also said when discussing the issue - that Elvis was hooked on it - and he said - you should of seen the pack of miserable baarstards that he( Elvis) was hanging out with - towards the end - because of it

I watched a documentary a year or 2 ago - and they were showing how certain drugs were made - and im pretty sure it was cocaine - and they added cement dust to it - yet people take it - Unbelievable

I watched a documentary a year or 2 ago - and they were showing how certain drugs were made - and im pretty sure it was cocaine - and they added cement dust to it - yet people take it - Unbelievable
Don't know about cement dust, but I'm sure it's been done.

It is, however, definitely made with either diesel or kerosine during the extraction process, which is why it should have a small hint of petrol smell to it.

Every user should know their product, but most don't.

He also said when discussing the issue - that Elvis was hooked on it - and he said - you should of seen the pack of miserable baarstards that he( Elvis) was hanging out with - towards the end - because of it

Hendrix was similar in that he died because he pushed away those who cared, to be replaced mostly by parasites.

I'll talk from the perspective of the league, since morally I'd probably be on a different side of the issue than most posters here (surprise, it's a board mainly of young males).

From the standpoint of the well being of the league, it's absolutely within reason for them to want to heavily discourage the use of cocaine by its players. Go read up on the NBA in the late 70s/early 80s. Cocaine swept through that league like a hurricane, destroying careers all over the place. The NBA didn't have any drug policy in place back then, and they were forced to introduce one.

As AFL salaries continue to increase, it's not going to just be the highly paid guys doing it. If the culture of drug-taking is allowed to take hold, in 5-10 years when the rookies are coming in on $200k and can suddenly afford a drug habit, they're going to start joining in. And that's how careers start to go down the toilet.

So even beyond the simple image issue, it's not within the best interests of the league to have its labour force on cocaine.

Oh yeah, I knew I forgot one other point I wanted to make:

On top of all those reasons, the AFL does not want their players to start associating with organised crime figures. It's the quickest way for match fixing to open up and then the competition as we know it may as well not exist.

So basically, there's a million and one reasons for the AFL to go hard on drug control with its players. Whether they're actually doing it is up to debate.

Cocaine is responsible for over 100,000 deaths in Mexico since 2007. But who cares right, it's just Mexicans?

It's because drugs are illegal that there is so many deaths. Coke isn't killing most of them, psychos with guns and machetes are killing them. If governments regulated drugs instead of prohibiting them, this would mitigate these deaths. IMO of course.

i heard a pretty well-sourced rumour that a player got his first strike, and started blabbing about it to everyone other than the club. the club found out, asked him about it and he denied. they had no grounds to really force the issue.

it was cocaine, ftr.

Rock stars have sycophants around them? s**t, that's news to me. I'm sure the only reason for this is drug use :rolleyes:

Given he could walk down the street from his New York apartment without getting hassled by the general public, yeah. It was a badge of honour to give drugs to Hendrix. Toronto heroin bust, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back