Game Day AFL practice match discussion - Geelong vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the second quarter on my 50" TV (I love you, Apple TV!).

Most positive thing so far is Hawkins, he's moved the best he has this pre-season. He's competing up on the wing and doubling back to the forward line. Kicked two goals that quarter and looked threatening every time the ball went near him.

Most positive thing so far is Hawkins, he's moved the best he has this pre-season. He's competing up on the wing and doubling back to the forward line. Kicked two goals that quarter and looked threatening every time the ball went near him.
Is Hawkins able to jump and bend though? Stream not good 4 me in 2ndquarter

This has always been the concern re the forward line - who replaces Vardy ? Sure not a gun by any stretch of the imagination with so few games behind him but he was 198 cm and fair weight - long arms and a leap. He would give a decent contest at least.

Brown just does not yet use his body well enough to create big contests at CHF - but if given time - as he should get - then maybe he will learn this and give a better contest.

If not try Walker then Kersten. I think we all knew Vardy would be a loss. Just how big I guess we will not know until mid season or maybe never ?
I love Geelong fans...the second fringe players get injured they become essential. Brown's form has been good and the main problem tonight has been delivery to stupid positions. Vary would not be in our round 1 best 22 anyway IMHO.

Not gonna talk about the usual suspects / automatic selections...

Lincoln McCarthy has been great. Game 3 is it? Hits is REAL hard with pace and skill. Great defensive pressure all over the place and while he is still moving a biit fast for the game there are really a lot of things to like about him.

Thurlow just continues to impress off HB. Boris will never be replaced but JT will deaden the blow somewhat. Cool under pressure great, great vision and really slick skills. My game tally for him this year is rising..

Guthrie whom I maintain should be coming off CHB has been brilliant where ever he has been. Several passages out of defense have just been what I would term beyond a 30-40 game player. This bloke is fantastic.

Simpson and HMAC. Just great to see 2 big bodies at the CB getting it down to our MF. Been missing really since Otto.

Mitch Brown is doing ok but not great. I really want to see how he comes back in the 2nd 1/2. Clearly crashing packs and strength battles are not his thing but he is presenting well and repeating his efforts. I hope he keeps going and does not drop the head.

Sherringham has been consistent around the ball working hard defensively and created a goal late based on this.

Caddy still a bull and Mitch doing some nice things but seems a bit more covered defensively this week...

Go Catters

Brown is doing fine. It's unrealistic to think he is going to be taking a bunch of pack marks.

The problem is we need one of the big rucks to take a mark or 2 forward and missing an experienced player like Bartel doesn't help either.

I'm not saying drop him but move him to the back line so he can get involved, can't you see with your own bloody eyes he's out of his depth against seasoned defenders?

So after 2 solid games you've decided that a half of football where our ball use has been terrible means he's "out of his depth". Give the bloke a chance. Every tall in our team would've played worse halves of football than he just did in their early games. Give the bloke a chance.

I'm not saying drop him but move him to the back line so he can get involved, can't you see with your own bloody eyes he's out of his depth against seasoned defenders?
Why? He's a second tall forward or he's nothing. Give him time in his natural position and he'll come good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he isnt having the best game, but he was probably our best forward against melbourne.

he isnt ever going to make it if he doesnt get exposed to it. hes a forward, i think they should let him learn there. shifting/dropping him every 2nd or 3rd game has done him no favours, and will continue to do him no favours.

Brown has been fine. Has been outmarked twice (?), one of which should have been a free for getting pushed square in the back. Has created contests in the air and has looked really good leading up on the wing.

Simpson and HMAC. Just great to see 2 big bodies at the CB getting it down to our MF. Been missing really since Otto.

what do you think about this setup? HMac and Simpson together in the same team? Looks like it's really working well at the early stages so far.

Liking how one of them can push forward to create major worries for North

So after 2 solid games you've decided that a half of football where our ball use has been terrible means he's "out of his depth". Give the bloke a chance. Every tall in our team would've played worse halves of football than he just did in their early games. Give the bloke a chance.
Bobby doesn't like or rate him, so the slightest drop off is going to cause his place in the team to be questioned by him

But to be fair we all do it to players we don't rate

How do u watch it through Apple TV. Was going to plug the laptop into TV for the second half but if I can use the Apple TV that would be better.

Yep I'm with you. Has not moved this well for two years.

I don't know why anyone cares about the score. This is dancing with the sister stuff. No crunching tackles, and far less turnovers. Don't expect hawk and brown to kick a bag. It can't happen in that scenario.

what do you think about this setup? HMac and Simpson together in the same team? Looks like it's really working well at the early stages so far.

Liking how one of them can push forward to create major worries for North

I think its gonna be a horses for courses type deal rather than they pick themselves each week. But as it sits now, I dont think we are being killed for pace or anything because we have 2 big rucks in the 22.

And if either of them resting forward can produce 1 or 2 goals a game... id take that... and per Bluey... big bodies in the square are proportional to defenders degree of sweaty bum crack..:D

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back