Preview MATCH CANCELLED: AFL Round 14 - Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, 3:20PM Sunday 5 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adelaide have a better midfield than us and have been competitive with the top sides, as opposed to being completely blown away. Exposed form would suggest Adelaide should win this comfortably.
We'll see. This season has shown when we get blown away in the middle which will happen with our midfield, we lose and lose comfortably. What I dispute is that minus Sloane, that they are a vastly superior midfield, a little better but not insurmountable with a genuine ruckman. Dawson needs to play and he needs to be competitive against Jacobs otherwise we're in trouble. That's all I'm saying really. Simpson plays and we're a good chance, particularly if coupled with the returns of Bartel and/or Kelly. We'll have to wait until selection to find that out though.

True. Still vividly remember us leading at some point or being level late in the game. Not a bad loss against the eventual premiers, I'd need to look at who was in the team to see what the context was.

After a lot of hard work in the second half, we just got in front in the last, but then that Everitt goal sank us. Still, when you concede 7 goals in the first and only score one yourself, you're facing an unlikely uphill battle. That's what cost us the game, and it was the type of performance that seemed indicative of Geelong's post-bye malaise.

Yeah I also apologised and admitted I was wrong about Blitz but I wasn't the only one, the whole footy world including many experts are pretty surprised about the speed of his progress this year. If you look at his stats from last year, especially contested marks, he was very ordinary so having only that to go on pre-season you can't blame me or others for getting it wrong. As for making one correct prediction and having a better footy knowledge than me I also predicted Melbourne would at the very least really push us last week at Simmonds Stadium while others were predicting 60 plus point wins, does that suddenly make me a footy genius? You got one thing right bud and good on you for it but it doesn't mean you're suddenly an AFL Einstein.
Sorry was just teasing, but being serious, why is
There so much of a rush to be so
Negative? Not a dog at you personally -
Just that we
Are a very going side - 10
Blokes with under 40 games I think.
We had a great month then a bad game. That happens with young sides. Let's just not lose our s**t at the first hurdle is all I'm saying.

Just that we
Are a very going side
We had a great month then a bad game. That happens with young sides. Let's just not lose our s**t at the first hurdle is all I'm saying.

No, we're a middle-of-the-road side. Very average. A great month? We smashed two average sides in Essendon and Carlton, were spanked by WCE, and beat a well under-performing Port Adelaide side. You can perhaps argue that we've done well given our list composition, injuries, and stage of development of our youth (though I wouldn't), but we're certainly not doing all that well in the context of the overall competition. For an average, mid-table side, we've beaten the sides we should have, been flogged by the top sides, and in the case of the Melbourne game (and almost the GC game), been beaten by sides below us. We're performing in a similar manner to West Coast last year. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll follow the upwards trend of WCE.

Last edited:
Just that we
Are a very going side - 10
Yeah the problem is we were playing another young side that completely pantsed us in skill, intensity, and determination at the contest. I think Cats fans can cop losing to top sides or experienced sides with our youngish team but not losing badly to an even younger team.

Changes I would make if Jimmy, Kelly & Clark are fit:

Out - Murdoch (inj), Walker (omit), Luxford (omit) & Kolodjashnij (unluckiest).
In - Bartel, Clark, Kelly & Simpson.
Some decent ins there :D

Lets say none of those guys are fit:

Out - Murdoch, Luxford.
In - Blease, Smedts.

Out - Murdoch, Luxford.
In - Blease, Smedts.
Just for a change, I think the MC have some tough decisions this week. I think they will hold onto the hope of finals for another 2-3 weeks, but after that we will have to play the kids.

Out - Murdoch, Luxford.
In - Blease, Smedts.
If nothing else it will add some blistering pace.

I was really really concerned about this game a week ago.... then I sat through the dribble they dished up against an ordinary Brisbane and it at least gave me hope...

It was mentioned before... play like we did against Port and I think we can win, play like we did against the Dees well then we may as well save the cash on the flights over

Ah the old you don't agree with me therefore you just don't see it chestnut. I do see it, we're a middle of the road side who can't compete with the best but can compete with those around us and beat those below us. Adelaide are in our group, the 6-12 group. We can compete with them, again we have no need to fear them.

I disagree we waved the white flag but that's beside the point.

You've raised an arbitrary metric to support your claim we've got no chance. Equally as pointless and irrelevant is that they struggled to beat Carlton, who we thrashed. Lost to Port who we beat. Alas it's irrelevant as it is Adelaide vs Geelong and I think it was 10lana ? who pointed out Simpson has a good record on Jacobs. No Sloane and Guthrie having had previous success in nullifying Dangerfields influence (not limiting his touches, but curtailing them). Will depend on what happens at the selection table of course and what happens with Bartel and Kelly but fear Adelaide we should not.

Cats by 20.

It was a little in jest, but he at the very worst broke even with Jacobs in the two matches they played against each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUOTE="Willo_, post: 39344849, member: 99776"]I was really really concerned about this game a week ago.... then I sat through the dribble they dished up against an ordinary Brisbane and it at least gave me hope...

It was mentioned before... play like we did against Port and I think we can win, play like we did against the Dees well then we may as well save the cash on the flights over[/QUOTE]

Watching Geelong this year - you could make a case for Geelong winning this weeks game by 20 points - no problem - but you could also make a case for them losing by 100 points - which should have been the margin against West Coast

That Eagles game - i heard a radio interview 20 minutes before the game with Blake Caracella - he was super confident that Geelong were going to win - then there was a picture of him in the coaching box in the last qtr - he had his eyes shut ( he wasnt asleep) it was a look of horror - how hopelessly Geelong had been beaten - and apart from Mitch Duncan - it was a pretty strong side they picked against the Eagles

Dish up that lamentable performance against the Crows and the flood gates are really going to open

Via Ron The Bear, we have a 6-2 record when we are older than our opponent and a 0-4 record when we are younger.

With Clark, Bartel and Kelly coming back from injury I am confident that we will be fielding an older team than Adelaide on the weekend.

Yippee!
Should hold us in good stead for the future with Bartel & Kelly in the prime of their footballing lives!

Stiil both fine players….whats your problem?

I wonder if the Hawk board denigrates their older players…I must check.

Fine players once upon a time. Bartel definitely ahead of Kelly but David, you've been living in Switzerland too long. I doubt even Bartel would make it amongst our best 10 players at the club these days.
I'd have to pick Blicavs, Hawkins, Duncan, Caddy, Taylor, Thurlow, Motlop, Enright, Rivers & Selwood ahead of him.
Lang and Bews quickly closing the gap as very important players to our team structure too.

Ffs this is getting ridiculous now. This obsession with the future. How about the now? Let's worry about winning games of footy NOW!

Bartel and Kelly coming back in is somehow bad now. Well that's a head scratcher. Lack midfield depth but denigrate two experienced mids coming in to help out Joel who's getting battered and bruised.

Ffs this is getting ridiculous now. This obsession with the future. How about the now? Let's worry about winning games of footy NOW!

Bartel and Kelly coming back in is somehow bad now. Well that's a head scratcher. Lack midfield depth but denigrate two experienced mids coming in to help out Joel who's getting battered and bruised.

Who said it's bad?
Never said anything of the sort. Merely suggesting their inclusion won't make the slightest difference to the outcome of the game because frankly NSFB, both players are just about cooked. They aren't Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge who are still in career-best form.
Lol, you idiots are an absolute crack up :D

Who said it's bad?
Never said anything of the sort. Merely suggesting their inclusion won't make the slightest difference to the outcome of the game because frankly NSFB, both players are just about cooked. They aren't Sam Mitchell or Luke Hodge who are still in career-best form.

Are they better than Luxford?

Who said it's bad?
I'll give you Kelly, this will be his last year quite possibly but Bartel no. He'll play on in 2016 and with a bit of luck with injuries will join Boris, John and Ian in the 300 club.

You chastise me about respect, well suggesting that Bartel's inclusion in particular will not make a difference is doing exactly that.

Better than Luxford for a start so that improves the side. Would pick him as HF/mid ahead of Kersten too. If he's fit I'll be staggered if he's left out given that frankly Joel needs help and he can provide it.

Seriously run me through the logic of how he wouldn't make a difference to our midfield at present, how he wouldn't help Joel, who we all acknowledge desperately needs help? * I'd say at present he'd give us more than SJ as a mid so why not drop him for Jim.

You chastise me about respect, well suggesting that Bartel's inclusion in particular will not make a difference is doing exactly that.

He won't make any difference.
Adelaide are the better team. Talia is right now as good as Taylor. Hartigan is playing superbly in the air which will make Clark/Walker's job harder than you may believe.

They have the better midfield as Thompson is averaging 8.6 clearances, Ellis-Yolmen 4.5, Dangerfield 6.7, Douglas 4.3, Jacobs 2/Jenkins 1, Van Berlo 2 while Selwood is averaging 7.2 clearances, Caddy 5.2, Blicavs 4/Simpson 1, Guthrie 3.6, Stokes 2, Kelly 1.7.
That's an average of 29 clearances between those seven listed players compared to 25 from Geelong.

They have the better forward line as Betts is averaging 3 goals, Walker 2.4, Jenkins 2, Lynch 1.3, Cameron 1 compared to Hawkins 2.1, Clark 1.7, Motlop 1.5, Johnson 1.3, Kersten 1.
That's an average of 10 goals between those five listed players compared to 7.5 from Geelong.

They average about 93 points per game to 88 at Geelong. Their defence doesn't concede quite as many points either so while I believe this game will be close throughout, Adelaide should get the chocolates and win it anywhere between 3-4 goals.
Walker is the worry. He's probably going to be in for one of those 5 goal games where he pulls down 10 or more marks. Too strong if he's on song. Kind of like Kennedy at West Coast.
Obviously if Sloane was playing then there would be no doubt who is winning.

We shall see how it pans out :)

He won't make any difference.
Adelaide are the better team. Talia is right now as good as Taylor. Hartigan is playing superbly in the air which will make Clark/Walker's job harder than you may believe.

They have the better midfield as Thompson is averaging 8.6 clearances, Ellis-Yolmen 4.5, Dangerfield 6.7, Douglas 4.3, Jacobs 2/Jenkins 1, Van Berlo 2 while Selwood is averaging 7.2 clearances, Caddy 5.2, Blicavs 4/Simpson 1, Guthrie 3.6, Stokes 2, Kelly 1.7.
That's an average of 29 clearances between those seven listed players compared to 25 from Geelong.

They have the better forward line as Betts is averaging 3 goals, Walker 2.4, Jenkins 2, Lynch 1.3, Cameron 1 compared to Hawkins 2.1, Clark 1.7, Motlop 1.5, Johnson 1.3, Kersten 1.
That's an average of 10 goals between those five listed players compared to 7.5 from Geelong.

They average about 93 points per game to 88 at Geelong. Their defence doesn't concede quite as many points either so while I believe this game will be close throughout, Adelaide should get the chocolates and win it anywhere between 3-4 goals.
Walker is the worry. He's probably going to be in for one of those 5 goal games where he pulls down 10 or more marks. Too strong if he's on song. Kind of like Kennedy at West Coast.
Obviously if Sloane was playing then there would be no doubt who is winning.

We shall see how it pans out :)
Yep. They are superior numbers, but it's a bit hard to gauge their significance or otherwise until every side has played each other once. I'd posit that our start has been harder and could contribute to that discrepancy. But my question wasn't about would they help us win as that question will depend partly on who you think will win. We have differing opinions on that.

My question was would they IMPROVE the team. I'd say both would improve the team at present.

If you agree then what are we arguing over? And what was the sarcasm over their return to the side really about?

I've made it clear that for us to win Dawson needs to compete well against Jacobs, if he gets slaughtered well our fate will be similar to that of the Melbourne game. That doesn't mean that he has to dominate, he just has to somewhat break even and give our mids first use of the ball a bit more frequently than our last match.

When we're competitive in the middle (not necessarily winning, just about break even) our defence holds up pretty well, when we get smashed in the middle they can't hold the dam wall up for long. It also has an effect down the other end as well. When we get slaughtered in the middle our ball movement is static and resorts to long bombs to an outnumbered Hawkins. That doesn't work.

The biggest benefit of Simpson returning is it may allow Blitz to resume his midfield/3rd man up role which was proving successful for us and our ability to win clearances, gives his opponent something to think about also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back