Preview AFL Round 6 - Port Adelaide v Geelong, Adelaide Oval, Sunday 27 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like others have stated much respect for Geelong and this will be a huge test for us, hoping for a cracker of a game at a great venue.

Do you think Port going to Perth & you blokes having one less day sort of balances out? You guys were super impressive yesterday btw
I really dont buy the "Perth' excuse at all - RonTheBear recently put up a post on the main board showing how Vic teams went the week after playing in Perth, results showed that the team would win roughly about 50% of the time - in other words no affect from the travel. I haven't see the stats from shorter recovery time, but I would be very surprised if the better rested teams don't do better. And then there is Adelaide oval.

You guys are flying and in form, whilst we have a bit of a history of going a bit flat after a big match.

In other words if you guys can't beat us this weekend, then you wont beat us ever and you might as well write off the season and start looking to 2015.(ok I'm being a little dramatic, but there is some truth there)

This is a big test for both teams, you win and you can get respect as the real deal, we win and we can say that as a champion team, we are doing what champion teams do and that is win when maybe we shouldn't.

I really dont buy the "Perth' excuse at all - RonTheBear recently put up a post on the main board showing how Vic teams went the week after playing in Perth, results showed that the team would win roughly about 50% of the time - in other words no affect from the travel. I haven't see the stats from shorter recovery time, but I would be very surprised if the better rested teams don't do better. And then there is Adelaide oval.

You guys are flying and in form, whilst we have a bit of a history of going a bit flat after a big match.

In other words if you guys can't beat us this weekend, then you wont beat us ever and you might as well write off the season and start looking to 2015.(ok I'm being a little dramatic, but there is some truth there)

This is a big test for both teams, you win and you can get respect as the real deal, we win and we can say that as a champion team, we are doing what champion teams do and that is win when maybe we shouldn't.
Never said it was an excuse just that it balances out

I ain't dropping my bundle if we lose in a tight contest as it will have bugger all bearing on what may or may not happen later in the year if we clash again

If I didn't have a wedding this weekend I would def make the trip from Melb to Adel for this.
AO looks a treat. I am looking forward to this game moreso than our last.
Kenny has the guys playing some brilliant footy.

What are the likely in's and out's from a Port fan perspective?

If I didn't have a wedding this weekend I would def make the trip from Melb to Adel for this.
AO looks a treat. I am looking forward to this game moreso than our last.
Kenny has the guys playing some brilliant footy.

What are the likely in's and out's from a Port fan perspective?

Hombsch will come back in, Newton a good chance to play, Monfries probs won't be risked.
I'd imagine 1 or 2 of Impey/Young/SamGray would be dropped.

I think the talk of our 10 wins to 0 in recent history can be ignored. The only recent record worth looking into are from last year to now, as Port are such a different side to what they were 24 months ago and are deserving of respect.

Looking at the fixture at the start of the year this was always a danger game as it's at AO and sees us coming off playing the hawks. Although I must say yesterday's match wasn't as physically brutal as they have been in the past and anyone watching the port v eagles on Saturday can't tell me they won't pull up a little sore, as well.

Really looking forward to this encounter as these two teams play almost an identical brand of footy, unstoppable force vs immovable object unstoppable force.

Anyone watching the port v eagles on Saturday can't tell me they won't pull up a little sore, as well.

I pulled a hammy just watching the game!

will be interesting. the form ladder has us way clear on top. port would come in about 4th, but that is slightly skewed by carltank's inflated value from last year.

this is ports first genuine test for the year, whilst we have beaten pies and hawks who will both be top 4 contenders.

we have both beaten brisbane, eagles and adelaide, whilst port has knocked off carlton and we have done for pies and hawks as well.

i think we might account for them in a typical 3 qtr wrestle with it opening a bit in the 4th. as they say, the tall guys don't get any smaller as the game goes on, and our talls at both ends are better than theirs.

that all said, you can only beat the teams you play, and they haven't had a chance against the genuine top 4 teams yet, so may surprise me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a cracker. Selwood has torn us apart in last few encounters. But Port's has quite a few weapons in the midfield now. We win contested footy, we should win game. But Geelong are the benchmark and game could go either way. Here is hoping for a awesome game - I will be there!!

Port made us look second rate for a half in the Semi Final last year, until our senior players got us back in the match. I think PA will take a lot of confidence from that game. I don't think Geelong should take two ruckmen into this match, as we'll need to load up with gut runners, and Blicavs can second ruck for the match. I wouldn't be surprised if Mackie also doesn't play, as we only have a six-day break this time. I also don't think Motlop should be rushed in, unless they're 100% sure he is ready.

At this early stage I would say:

Out: Mackie (hammy/rest), Simpson (rest)
In: Schroder, Walker

Rivers, Lonergan, T.Hunt
Enright, Taylor, Kelly
Duncan, Johnson, Stokes
Varcoe, Walker, Bartel
Murdoch, Hawkins, Burbury
McIntosh, Selwood, Guthrie

I/C: Horlin-Smith, Schroder, Blicavs, Sheringham

Port made us look second rate for a half in the Semi Final last year, until our senior players got us back in the match. I think PA will take a lot of confidence from that game.
I think from a Port perspective this is where we sit. We have added a lot more outside speed to that team and ball use with Polec and White, replacing fringe players like Colquhoun, and in that game what killed us was the magic of Motlop with that outside run (hell he was the reason we got White) and Chapman with his 4 goals. Take those 2 out of your lineup, combined with our progression plus an improved lineup and we have a lot of hope going into this weekends game.

The hawks are clearly at their best a better side than us, however we will be better than the crap they dished up yesterday. We will move the ball far faster, we will have targets to kick to more often, our pressure on the ball carriers with our speed will be better and we wont be putting a Cheney on Hawkins. As such I actually think we'll give you a better run for your money this week and am looking forward to what should be a ripping game. I feel Port by about 1 goal in a belter just because of the Adelaide Oval momentum and crowd, but if we are slightly off our best then Geelong should win.

I think from a Port perspective this is where we sit. We have added a lot more outside speed to that team and ball use with Polec and White, replacing fringe players like Colquhoun, and in that game what killed us was the magic of Motlop with that outside run (hell he was the reason we got White) and Chapman with his 4 goals. Take those 2 out of your lineup, combined with our progression plus an improved lineup and we have a lot of hope going into this weekends game.

The hawks are clearly at their best a better side than us, however we will be better than the crap they dished up yesterday. We will move the ball far faster, we will have targets to kick to more often, our pressure on the ball carriers with our speed will be better and we wont be putting a Cheney on Hawkins. As such I actually think we'll give you a better run for your money this week and am looking forward to what should be a ripping game. I feel Port by about 1 goal in a belter just because of the Adelaide Oval momentum and crowd, but if we are slightly off our best then Geelong should win.
Our defensive pressure made hawthorn look crap, don't forget that. I wish you luck, but don't underestimate Geelong.

I was thinking earlier that I always felt that we were vulnerable after playing Hawthorn as they are always hard and tightly fought contests and especially after the easter game as we play the Monday and come off a shorter break. So I was thinking that coupled with the travel to Adelaide would put us up against it, but last years stats seem to say different. However in 2012 we lost both games after Hawthorn wins.

Last season we played them in rd 1 and went on to beat North by 4 pts, although we did start very poorly and came back from around 40pts down.
In rd 15 we beat Melbourne by 68pts.

In 2012 we lost by 17pts to North in rd 5
Then lost to West Coast away by 5 pts

2011 is as far back as I went, we had a bye after the rd 5 clash then beat St. K by 28 pts after the second clash in rd 13.

will be interesting. the form ladder has us way clear on top. port would come in about 4th, but that is slightly skewed by carltank's inflated value from last year.

this is ports first genuine test for the year, whilst we have beaten pies and hawks who will both be top 4 contenders.

we have both beaten brisbane, eagles and adelaide, whilst port has knocked off carlton and we have done for pies and hawks as well.

i think we might account for them in a typical 3 qtr wrestle with it opening a bit in the 4th. as they say, the tall guys don't get any smaller as the game goes on, and our talls at both ends are better than theirs.

that all said, you can only beat the teams you play, and they haven't had a chance against the genuine top 4 teams yet, so may surprise me.

I'd say that beating the Eagles in Perth is a pretty good effort, especially since the Eagles had pretty much everyone who missed against us the week before return for that match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back