Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

They are driving me out of the game too
Would usually watch up to half the games or part of, didn’t watch one last weekend
Didn’t watch any footy shows
North’s continual struggles obv a factor but the targeting of Clarko is over the top
Find most games boring contested grinds anyway
Still buying my family membership and will always do
I watched Swans/Melb & Lions & Blues
But I only watched about 20 mins each of the other two games.

Opening round was boring.

Im glad Clarkson remained tight lipped when Nat Edwards asked him about Colby and McKercher debuts. Good. She’s an advocate and follower of the gospel according to Damo. Heavily against us getting assistance yet somehow didn’t skipped over the Hawks assistance with ease.

Im glad Clarkson remained tight lipped when Nat Edwards asked him about Colby and McKercher debuts. Good. She’s an advocate and follower of the gospel according to Damo. Heavily against us getting assistance yet somehow didn’t skipped over the Hawks assistance with ease.
Yep. We can't have her finding out that Colby and McKercher are just the one bloke

Ok there’s a bit of angst around after our round one loss. Had some thoughts, take or leave them:

First, put yourself in the shoes of four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson. He has a group of players where literally all the talent is under 26. They are raw, naturally attacking and full of X factor as a group. Most of them have only known losing. Most of them have barely been able to celebrate kicking goals FFS.

Now, imagining you’re Clarkson here, do you
a) Shoehorn these exciting, naturally attacking square pegs into round defensive holes and play a dour style that means we lose more than we win but minimises the damage somewhat. Or:
b) Play a style that is high scoring and free wheeling, that the players enjoy and that is good to watch, and lose more than we win.

I know what I’d prefer to watch. Again, remember a lot of these guys have barely had goals to celebrate, let alone wins.

We were run by incompetents for a long time. We now have pros in charge. We are rebuilding a failed rebuild (the Noble years). The doom and gloom is misguided imo. We look like a team for the first time since early 2020 (literally the first two games). We might not win this week ya know? It’s not impossible that it takes this team a while to click. But that key word again — team. We are starting to look like one. We can’t do it all in one preseason. We need some joy and spirit around the joint. We’re going to attack.

Enjoy kicking some goals, forget about Will Walker and expected scores and Durdin and Neilson and Noble and sub-20 game players’ defensive running. Big Al knows what he is doing.

Last edited:
Ok there’s a bit of angst around after our round one loss. Had some thoughts, take or leave them:

First, put yourself in the shoes of four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson. He has a group of players where literally all the talent is under 26. They are raw, naturally attacking and full of X factor as a group. Most of them have only known losing. Most of them have barely been able to celebrate kicking goals FFS.

a) Shoehorn these exciting, naturally attacking square pegs into round defensive holes and play a dour style that means we lose more than we win but minimises the damage somewhat. Or:
b) Play a style that is high scoring and free wheeling, that the players enjoy and that is good to watch, and lose more than we win.

I know what I’d prefer to watch. Again, remember a lot of these guys have barely had goals to celebrate, let alone wins.

We were run by incompetents for a long time. We now have pros in charge. We are rebuilding a failed rebuild (the Noble years). The doom and gloom is misguided imo. We look like a team for the first time since early 2020 (literally the first two games). We might not win this week ya know? It’s not impossible that it takes this team a while to click. But that key word again — team. We are starting to look like one. We can’t do it all in one preseason. We need some joy and spirit around the joint. We’re going to attack.

Enjoy kicking some goals, forget about Will Walker and expected scores and Durdin and Neilson and Noble and sub-20 game players’ defensive running. Big Al knows what he is doing.

Good post.

He's also very clear drilled some resilience into them. They keep going now, they don't drop their heads or give up. They keep fighting.

Some rebuild coaches don't get that far.

Good thoughts but would guess most fans were encouraged by our persistence in round 1?

Also slightly off topic but I don't heap that much of the blame on Noble. Scott and Shaw ran our football into the ground and our staffing through the department was hands down as bad as it gets.

Noble got handed one of the worst lists in modern history and actually did ok in 2021 under the circumstances.

Good thoughts but would guess most fans were encouraged by our persistence in round 1?

Also slightly off topic but I don't heap that much of the blame on Noble. Scott and Shaw ran our football into the ground and our staffing through the department was hands down as bad as it gets.

Noble got handed one of the worst lists in modern history and actually did ok in 2021 under the circumstances.
Yeah I think I might be responding to the negativity in the list management thread here. Which gets back to your later point re: Noble and his predecessors. All had a role to play in making us the worst team in AFL history. Apportioning blame in exact quantities is impossible but no doubt we weren’t a legit organisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott and Shaw ran our football into the ground and our staffing through the department was hands down as bad as it gets.
The bloke you are missing here who is Buckley who "ran" the club from Sydney (or Sonja ran it from Melbourne with him just doing not a lot)

The bloke you are missing here who is Buckley who "ran" the club from Sydney (or Sonja ran it from Melbourne with him just doing not a lot)
I'd like to think I was ahead of the curve spotting his ineptitude (shout out to tazaa and Gasometer too).

Absolute Brownfingers president.

Was dreamy in a silver fox way though.

I'd like to think I was ahead of the curve spotting his ineptitude (shout out to tazaa and Gasometer too).

Bit harsh

Celebrating mediocrity at a B&F was ahead of its nourishing time

I’m putting myself on that boat having inside knowledge of his complete and utter ineptitude whilst at Foxtel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back