Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If we finish bottom two again this year and we don’t see many signs of obvious improvement I could easily see Clarko pulling the pin early off the back of the racism saga ect.

His aura of being a super coach is going to be well and truly under pressure comes seasons end, if we don’t start winning games of footy

If we finish bottom two again this year and we don’t see many signs of obvious improvement I could easily see Clarko pulling the pin early off the back of the racism saga ect.

His aura of being a super coach is going to be well and truly under pressure comes seasons end, if we don’t start winning games of footy
Bullshet

There’s some questions to be asked.

His halcyon days are nine years ago.

The Hawks went down the toilet in his later years there.

Despite playing ‘better’ (I’m using that in its broadest possible terms) we still aren’t winning.

If we continue to not win, the pressure will sky rocket.

the earliest of early crows in here

People need to go back and watch some of the videos from around the time he was appointed.

There is a reason the guy got 5 years.

And even with that I’d almost give him a mulligan on last year.

We there is a long way to go and he knew that before he took the job.

Why are we “a massive job” yet other teams such as Sydney, Geelong, Port, Fremantle, Brisbane, GWS, Collingwood, Bulldogs… basically anyone that’s not us… are able to either hold ground and remain a threat or become a threat every few years?

We just keep buying ourselves time and I’m starting to think it’s a cop-out.

Why are we “a massive job” yet other teams such as Sydney, Geelong, Port, Fremantle, Brisbane, GWS, Collingwood, Bulldogs… basically anyone that’s not us… are able to either hold ground and remain a threat or become a threat every few years?

We're a "massive job" because we've * all good footballers. Our 24+ go missing at the first sign of any heat.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Culture + handouts, Culture + Stephen Wells + Shithole Stadium, They're just mediocre under Ken, have been up and down, Yeah Brisbane have been doing well in recent years but no chocolates, Absolute draft pick masterclasses with their ability to continually trade mediocre 1st round players for a fresh round 1 pick, also been up and down, More up than down but kissed on the dick with father sons.

We've had a good culture in terms of player bonding, but s**t in terms of on field resilience. Meanwhile we had Scott start with a compromised draft, finish with a torched list, reset with a bloke that lost his mind, reset again with a smooth talker who couldn't coach for s**t and put everyone offside, and now here we are.

We're a "massive job" because we've * all good footballers. Our 24+ go missing at the first sign of any heat.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Some Ironstein has left us with a list, that after five years of turnover, still has a heap of list cloggers. Fair effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lack of quality senior core.

Some Ironstein has left us with a list, that after five years of turnover, still has a heap of list cloggers. Fair effort.
This. The club and list have been an absolute shambles for years. Clarko was largely absent last year so we should probably take a deep breath or two for the moment.

It's inconceivable really that after what we have been through over the past 5 years - and the picks we have generated through our shiteness - that we still had 7 players out there today that are simply not afl standard. And that is with us having one of the smallest injury lists right now. As you say - it is a pretty fair effort to get it so wrong and still be getting it wrong 5 years into this 'rebuild'.

We're a massive job because we're historically bad. We're genuinely one of the worst teams in the history of the league. We made three terrible head coach decisions in a row (extending Scott -> Shaw -> Noble). We created one of the worst list profiles in the history of the sport. Our drafting and player development has been consistently s**t over the past decade (though it seems to be better recently, but we'll need time before knowing for sure). We promoted a culture of being honest battlers over professionalisation, which led to s**t player standards. idk if Clarkson is the answer, but I know that any other coach would struggle in the same situation (which is probably why someone like Yze would've never coached us) and round two of 2024 is way too early to tell.

Give the bloke a break... he had almost half of last season robbed of him due to hawthorn.

This is really his first season with us. It is a massive job he's agreed to take on. Let's give him more than less than half a season shall we?

This. He also needs to see who can stand up when the pressure is at its hottest.

He did the same at Hawthorn early days as well. Remember him leaving skinny kids on monsters (Rocca maybe?).

He’s playing the long game.
At one stage that crossed my mind today as well. And it makes a lot of sense. I think that a few who were running around today might get found out for their lack of leadership and for wilting when the heat was turned onto them.

There’s some questions to be asked.

His halcyon days are nine years ago.

The Hawks went down the toilet in his later years there.

Despite playing ‘better’ (I’m using that in its broadest possible terms) we still aren’t winning.

If we continue to not win, the pressure will sky rocket.

Hawks were coming off a dynasty, of course they were gonna come down hard eventually. Yet he still got them to another top 4 as recently as 2018 when they had no business even making the 8 with that list.

With the older guys retiring or being traded we got younger again this year - youngest in the comp.

We're going to get beat up for another year, maybe 2 I'm afraid.

Clarkson isn't the issue.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back